Jeep CJ3B

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Jeep CJ3B

Post by mundaire » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:54 pm

axp817";p="2517 wrote:Diesel is even more expensive though, was $2.80 a gallon today, so don't know if it makes a difference here.

I think what Grumpy is referring to is not the price of Diesel as even across most of Europe a litre of Diesel will usually cost more than a litre of petrol! What he is probably talking about is the fact that diesel engines (for similar power output) are more frugal as compared to petrol engines. So even though the per litre/ gallon cost of Diesel might be more - you get more miles to the gallon/ kilometers to the litre - translating into lower ownership costs. A big reason why most commercial vehicles (across the globe) run on diesel.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:07 pm

diesel engines (for similar power output) are more frugal as compared to petrol engines.
Ahh, I didn't know this. Good to know. How much more 'efficient' are diesel engines compared to petrol? e.g. If a 3.0L petrol engine gives 14 kms. to a litre, how much would a similar sized diesel engine give? Just looking for an approximation.

paky
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by paky » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:57 pm

Hello Everyone:

I am from Kolkata and incidentally this is my first post? thanks to everyone here for the effort in bringing up this board..

For all of you interested in jeeps/4x4?s do try to visit this forum:
Jeep Thrills (India)

I know a few guys who are deeply into collecting Antiques and also Vintage/Classic Automobiles? There is a place near kolkata called panagarh (members from kolkata must be familiar with this small town), its on NH and one can always see old jeeps, military trucks, on both side of the road while crossing it? I have heard there is some military depot there and they usually auction old vehicles, etc. from this depot? if you know the right guys these vehicles can be picked pretty cheap? of course it will then require lot of time and patience to restore the beauty..

There is a guy in my locality who has a special fascination for jeeps (I don?t know him personally but I did visit his workshop sometime back)? he regularly picks up jeeps from Ford and Wilys from panagarh (I don?t know which models are available) and restores them? I have heard he is quite knowledgeable and skillful in restoring vintage jeeps? and a good source for spare parts?

I hope this is useful to some of you?

Thanks again guys and happy shooting,

Paky

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:11 am

Welcome aboard, Siddhant.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:19 pm

Yes, exactly Abhijeet - diesels are more fuel efficient than comparable petrol engines. The advances in diesel engine design over the past decade or so have been remarkable. As regards how much better the 2.7 diesel Grand Cherokee is on fuel go back to the UK Jeep website and compare the figures.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:23 pm

here is link to a site for CJ3b jeeps
http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/World/India.html

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:42 pm

Thanks for that link, Navdeep.

It was only yesterday that I got an e-mail from Paky saying that he knew someone in his locality who restores Jeeps. After having seen that link, I pretty sure he was refering to Uday Singh.

I wonder what it would cost to buy a good restored version. Would love to own one just for the grin factor.

Mack The Knife

paky
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by paky » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:24 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="2566 wrote: It was only yesterday that I got an e-mail from Paky saying that he knew someone in his locality who restores Jeeps. After having seen that link, I pretty sure he was refering to Uday Singh.
Yes I was referring to Mr Uday Bhan Singh? but since I don?t know him personally I would not be able to provide much details?.

MSTC India conducts regular auctions for Military Disposals.. The auction list is available in ther website. See if you can visit any disposal yard listed in your region. I am not sure if older Left hand Drive Versions (Wilys/Ford) Jeeps still come up for sale in their auctions..

Paky

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:44 pm

Siddhant,

When you pass by Uday's workshop next please drop in and ask what a restored jeep would cost. May just be interested if the price is right.

Mack The Knife

paky
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by paky » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:08 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="2586 wrote: When you pass by Uday's workshop next please drop in and ask what a restored jeep would cost.
Give me sometime? I will speak to Mr Singh and find out all the details?

I did speak to my uncle on Vintage Jeeps. His main interest is in Vintage and Classic Cars, but according to him the price of restored Jeep from Ford & Wilys, left hand drive versions start at around 1 lacs.. The prices will go up taking into account the quality of workmanship? and originality of spares used.. I have asked him to find out more details.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:10 pm

I am in no hurry and only mildly curious at this point of time.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:43 pm

Hey Offroaders,

I have a Willys CJ 3A 4x4 in original condition. My father used to go hunting on this jeep. Now days i use my jeep ocassionally. Other wise its soo cute looking that i feel like keeping it in a muesum. I'll post the pics on CJ 3b very soon on this foroum.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 pm

danish21";p="4878 wrote:I'll post the pics on CJ 3b very soon on this foroum.
Look forward to seeing the pictures! :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:24 pm

As a note of interest, I just saw an ad here in the US for a restored 1954 CJ3B for $9500 US.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:49 pm

Had completely forgotten about this thread and that I had promised to post about the performance of the "converted" Jeep. Ok, here goes :) -

ISUZU DIESEL IN A CJ3B JEEP - REVIEW
==========================

Well, the conversion seemed to be a real success at the outset, except for the fact that the alternator (which had come with the second hand engine) stopped working! :P Thankfully this was within the 15 day "warranty" that the engine dealer (read junk dealer) had offered me, so he had it repaired and when that failed, had it replaced with another one. To give credit where credit is due - this old alternator lasted me the next three years without a hitch... as you read on, you will realise the problems were elsewhere ;)

First out the really great thing about the conversion was that the Jeep now had a 4 speed syncromesh gearbox (the original is a 3 speed with no syncromesh gears) with and integrated High/ low 4WD transfer case. Shifting gears suddenly stopped being a chore and there was that sweet rubber burning low end torque on 1st (even when in 2WD "high" mode) - in fact under normal conditions I would usually have to take off on 2nd, so as not to wear out my tyres! :D Also, the new power assist brakes were a real sweet addition... of course there was also the huge advantage of cheap fuel and a (relatively) frugal engine!

Now for the negatives - naive as I was, while the brakes now had power assist, but they still retained the old master cylinder - which does not have diagonally split circuits (as they do in more modern vehicles - even the new Mahindra's)! So if one line/ brake drum leaks, the brakes would fail completely! This happened to me on more than one occasion, both on road and off... the worst case was when I had to drive back most of the way to Delhi from Pilani late at night (well over 100 Km) without any functional brakes! It was 1st gear throughout, since I could only use the engine as a "brake" to stop the car...

Brakes asides, the wiring was the original Mahindra wiring, which was really poor... Blown fuses, indicator bulbs etc. was an everyday thing. One more frequent problem I had was with the "accelerator wire"... the original, or any other ready made one would not match the new configuration and I was forced to adapt a scooter clutch wire to the purpose. These are really cheap at 10 bucks or so... and are widely available, so not an entirely bad choice - BUT they would fail frequently, so I took to carrying a couple of spare sets with me at all times.

BUT BY FAR the BIGGEST problem I faced with the conversion was to do with the new engines' oil filter bracket! As mentioned earlier -
the engine oil filter and mounting was now directly above the differential and on heavy suspension travel (read BIG bumps) the differential would "knock" against the oil filter. This problem was solved by changing the oil filter bracket to a different type of design (making the filter point sideways as opposed to downwards) as well as raising the suspension by a few inches
Well this mod (as mentioned above), was far from successful, my intended and actual use of this vehicle was for fairly rough off-roading (Asif & Mack The Knife might have an idea of what this entails ;) ). And invariably, on every second or third off road adventure I would "forget" about this little design defect and end up with the oil filter bracket cracked and engine oil being spewed all over the place - in the middle of nowhere! :( While the other failings could have been corrected relatively easily, this was a hard one to get around, with available parts and more than anything else - those frequent several (kilometre treks) back to civilization led me to finally sell off the CJ3B in the spring of 2000...

But in all fairness, when it did work it was a real joy to drive :) And I think I'm going to buy me another one real soon... will be smart and retain the original petrol engine though! ;) :lol:

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. - Danish is currently restoring his own low hood CJ-3B... look forward to reading his experiences with that one! Danish don't forget to post pictures buddy! :)

www.gunowners.in