the onkara effect

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

the onkara effect

Post by dev » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:50 pm

After watching langda tyagi with his .303 or whatever it was, i get the urge for a bolt gun with some 30 caliber round.

Are any of you experiencing such a feeling?
Hopefully, I will have my bolt action toy gun by the weekend. I think I am missing the actual toy .303 I had as a kid. It was strangely realistic, it had a bolt that cocked and one could load a small stone in from the barrel and shoot it out like a pop gun. And the best part was that it came with a realistic aluminium bayonet also.

Did any of u have such a toy? I remember buying mine from a toy shop near the indian oil building in connaught place. I think it was called shanker market (the market and not the shop).

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: the onkara effect

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:10 pm

I well recall the toy guns you speak off but not the Lee Enfield version.

I recall an Indian Oil building at Janpath and not Connaught Place. Are there two such buildings?

I got my first air-rifle from one of the toy shops on the ground floor of the Janpath building. A day that rivals the birth of my sons as the happiest day to date. Went without toys for over a year, just to get that rifle. I an be a stubborn SOB, when I want to.

I have sold off Feinwerkbaus, Steyrs, Weihrauchs, etc. but that old girl is still with me - 30 years this coming January 24th. Yes, I still remember the date. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:19 pm

I got that same smle after a major crying& 'please please' session with my uncle, in Russel Market, Bangalore...been a smellie fan a long time now! yeah, same aluminium bayonet et al...same uncle was responsible many years later for my ppk/s too!
enjoy Guys
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:33 pm

eljefe wrote:I got that same smle after a major crying& 'please please' session with my uncle, in Russel Market, Bangalore.
Those tactics never worked with my old. Infact just the reverse and a stinging slap for good measure. So I decided to play Gandhi. :mrgreen:

We were taken to the toy shop once a month or so but I refused to buy one until I got my mitts on an air-rifle.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:50 pm

Dev are your talking about a "pop gun"? The kind with a stopper at the end of the barrel attached to a string, which would "pop" out on firing the gun?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:43 pm

Talking of .303s, I was at this gun show in Concord, NH this past weekend. Someone was selling an Ishapore .303 Enfield, in fairly good condition for $120.

God, I hope gun laws in India change soon (although it doesn't seem too likely, with so many other things being on the Government's agenda firearms legislation would be last on their priority list) so our friends in India can enjoy firearms like we do here.

-N

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:51 pm

Dev,

I never stop wanting bolt rifles and the 303 and 30-06 are my favourites. :D

I remember the to guns that I had as a boy - they are the reason I started shooting the real stuff. Yes, it was great fun those days pulling back on the bolt of my little toy, loading a small stone in the barrel and trying to hit an Ovaltine tin 5 or 6 feet away. :D

I can agree with your nostalgic feelings completely. Go for it!

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:57 pm

mundaire wrote:Dev are your talking about a "pop gun"? The kind with a stopper at the end of the barrel attached to a string, which would "pop" out on firing the gun?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
The very same, except that the string was disposed off. Ammo consisted of stones, chickpeas and such. I had a few that delivered a fair whack.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:23 am

Mack The Knife Bana wrote:
mundaire wrote:Dev are your talking about a "pop gun"? The kind with a stopper at the end of the barrel attached to a string, which would "pop" out on firing the gun?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
The very same, except that the string was disposed off. Ammo consisted of stones, chickpeas and such. I had a few that delivered a fair whack.
Ah, I see you've been soupin' 'em up for some time now... :wink: LOL I tried tacks, nails and sundry metal pieces in my .22 airgun too... much before I realised things like escaping gases and proper "sealing"... needless to say this improvised ammo was a disaster, one could actually see the nails arc across the short distance they would travel... did give one an early start in sofar as understanding the basics of projectile ballistics though... :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Young Tiger
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Young Tiger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:42 pm

I was gifted a Gamo Magnum .22 air rifle with 4X bushnell scope and a webley Tempest .22 air pistol on my first birthday but i didnt shoot them till i was 6 , The toy guns i remeber having a LEO Bullseye's it was colt peacemaker which came with a three peice bottle which was used as target and a LEO mauser which shot small white pellets with orange cases which were ejected and it had a magazine :D a M16 rifle which made funny krrrrrkrrrrrrkrrrrr sound lol me and my cousins loved to play military missions on those hot summer afternoons :D

plus crying& 'please please' sessions worked for me aswell :P

Cheers!
Harnihal
Do you expect me to talk? No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:01 pm

Remember the Leo Mauser... almost choked to death when my cousin shot one of those white plastic pellets into my wide open mouth (I was laughing at something at the time), thankfully there was an uncle close by who helped dislodge the damn thing from my windpipe, might have been a goner otherwise...

Kinda brings home the point that even kids with plastic pellet (toy) guns should be taught basic gun safety!!

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

pop gun

Post by dev » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:17 pm

Yes it was I think a pop gun but once we cut the string off, the range increased and we lost them lethal plastic dum dums. So we shot stones and such just like Mack The Knife and gang.

I didn't get my first air rifle till early twenties but I had my .22 wifle by then. I remember wanting one every birthday like my other lucky friends.

Okay so the Indian Oil building is the Janpath, this market was close to the old super market. What does smle stand for I am really duh on this.

But you know an Old 303 could really be nice to own, if only the constabulary would be given something else. I remember shooting 303's at the army range at dhauj.

Being specially talented at avoiding any acts of courage I waited till the first batch shot. All the way the homeguards had laughed at our .22 shooting range etc. and scared the daylights outa us with 303 lore. It'll take your shoulder out etc!

After the first three rounds I went bang happy and basically tried to see how fast I could empty the clip. Needless to say I didn't make it to the team :twisted: .

But now a good sturdy wifle would be nice...anyone for a .315? HAR har hmmpfff choke...

Regards,

Dev

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:01 pm

I didn't get my first air rifle till early twenties but I had my .22 wifle by then
A hybrid wife cum rifle :lol: Good idea but where do you get one.

Take care,
penpusher

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

naughty naughty

Post by dev » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:20 pm

I just thought that wiffle sounded like what a kid with a running nose would say. But your interpretation is lethal. :lol:

Keep up the naughty thoughts.

Regards,

Dev

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: the onkara effect

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:22 pm

My first arms look-alike thing...aah

There use to be a small iron pistol (mostly available near Diwali) which use to take a strip of crackers and use to make a slow sound at strike of the hammer. Folks never objected to that coz that use to be cheaper and safe as compared to other crackers :mrgreen:

I wonder if they are still available

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...