A Soldier Is A Guard Dog

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

A Soldier Is A Guard Dog

Post by nitroex700 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:09 am

Wrote this last night while talking to an old fauji friend about the predicament of our security forces in troubled areas.. First few of these lines occurred during the chat, rest I wrote afterwards. Hope you will like it:

*A Soldier Is A Guard Dog*

Soldiers are like guard dogs,
Necessary but expendable..
Countries are built on top of our ashes,
Yet our lives are cheaper than the guns we shoot & vehicles we drive...
Some people think we do it for money,
Ask them the price of their loved ones' lives...
Some say we use excess force,
Ask them how they would counter a terrorist...
They say we violate human rights,
Ask them who they would call when their houses are flooded!

Soldiers are like guard dogs,
We're remembered when we're dead, loved when you need us & forgotten when you don't!

Soldiers are sons, whose mothers sent them to die for yours.
Soldiers are brothers, who couldn't attend their sister's weddings so you could attend yours.
Soldiers are fathers, who didn't see their children being born..
Who were told so by delayed letters & satphone calls...
Soldiers are husbands, whose wives live in perpetual fear of their deaths.

Soldiers were boys, with dreams of their beloveds in their eyes..
Dreams they forgot, as they charged the enemy, straight through a minefield & strafing MG fire...

Soldiers are men who killed & died to win those few yards of lands,
So you could lose them on your political tables & stretch your chests wide.

Soldiers are men who fought with men unknown,
Without once asking, but nevertheless wondering..
Why did they need to die??!

Soldiers are humans who fought on places on earth,
A frozen river, flaming sun & sluggish swamp..
All because you forgot to draw some lines on a map..!

Soldiers were singers, whose hearts sang the songs of their country's freedom.
Soldiers were musicians, whose lips played martial music & hands, battle drums.
Soldiers were dancers, who danced to simple tunes in complete abandon.
Soldiers were artists, whose fingers drew pictures as well as they pulled the trigger of a machinegun.

Soldiers were drivers, that drove many men who would never again come.
Soldiers were cooks, who cooked the last meal before the battle begun.
Soldiers were teachers, that taught many to speak a common tongue.
Soldiers were doctors, who silently watched the last breath of many brothers in arms.

Soldiers were the daggers, watching over us silently from great heights.
Soldiers were the black cats drilling into the enemies' hearts, a fear dark as nights.
Soldiers were the dolphins who dived into the deep sounds & emerged in shallow bights.

Soldier are the guard dogs, true to the salt & warriors to the core.
Soldiers are people, like you and me, ready to sacrifice all they have, now & forever more.

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: A Soldier Is A Guard Dog

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:37 am

Yes soldiers are humans. Yes soldiers are not only guard dogs, they are also double edged sword, they can strike from both sides. If soldiers do not apply their minds, then can also easily become paid tools and uniformed criminals in the hands of politicians, lest we forget it was the soldiers who committed genocide in Nazi Germany and elsewhere. It has been all through the history of human civilization, it was the soldiers who were responsible for genocides and human rights violations.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:42 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:Yes soldiers are humans. Yes soldiers are not only guard dogs, they are also double edged sword, they can strike from both sides. If soldiers do not apply their minds, then can also easily become paid tools and uniformed criminals in the hands of politicians, lest we forget it was the soldiers who committed genocide in Nazi Germany and elsewhere. It has been all through the history of human civilization, it was the soldiers who were responsible for genocides and human rights violations.
Soldiers are men who fought with men unknown,
Without once asking, but nevertheless wondering..
Why did they need to die??!

Soldiers obey orders. That's what they do.. They're the gun, the hands that pull the trigger sit in perverted echelons of power.. Hate the sin, not the sinner!
Do you know how many times there were attempted assassinations against Hitler by his own officers?

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:44 am

nitroex700 wrote:Hate the sin, not the sinner!
Very true that is why sometimes I think why they have to die for political causes which have no military or police solution. Like why the American soldiers had to die in Vietnam, why the Russian soldiers had to die in Afghanistan, the list is endless.
nitroex700 wrote:Do you know how many times there were attempted assassinations against Hitler by his own officers?
That is why said earlier, they are double edged sword. They can strike both ways.

I do not know what to say about comparing humans(soldiers) with dogs in context of Indian culture. If I am not wrong, comparing humans with dogs is considered very derogatory.
Last edited by goodboy_mentor on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:I do not know what to say about comparing humans(soldiers) with dogs in context of Indian culture. If I am not wrong, comparing humans with dogs is considered very derogatory.
Ask that to people who have ever had a dog.. there are many who would trust their dog blindly but not a man.. Ask this to dog handlers of the army that spend darkest nights beside their trusted canine - people who would walk blind through a minefield or track a terrorist through dense jungle based just on their 'buddy's' inputs... A wardog is not a animal any more, its a soldier in its own right! Its loyal to a fault, a great virtue from a soldier's point of view. Pls read the poem carefully & try to absorb what every soldier of our forces feels in insurgency affected areas - damned if you do, damned if you don't!

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:05 am

nitroex700 wrote:Ask that to people who have ever had a dog.. there are many who would trust their dog blindly but not a man.. Ask this to dog handlers of the army that spend darkest nights beside their trusted canine - people who would walk blind through a minefield or track a terrorist through dense jungle based just on their 'buddy's' inputs... A wardog is not a animal any more, its a soldier in its own right! Its loyal to a fault, a great virtue from a soldier's point of view. Pls read the poem carefully & try to absorb what every soldier of our forces feels in insurgency affected areas - damned if you do, damned if you don't!
I get your point, you are right in your context but try comparing any person with a dog in India, and see the reactions.

Yes dogs love their masters blindly whether good or bad or mischievous or criminals. Therefore a mischievous or heartless master can deliberately send his dog to a death trap for his own needs. In this context of self interest, the dogs are not among the smartest animals on the planet. Yes we as humans can certainly use them, their emotions for our selfish interests, be it for unconditional love or some other purpose.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:45 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:I get your point, you are right in your context but try comparing any person with a dog in India, and see the reactions.

Yes dogs love their masters blindly whether good or bad or mischievous or criminals. Therefore a mischievous or heartless master can deliberately send his dog to a death trap for his own needs. In this context of self interest, the dogs are not among the smartest animals on the planet. Yes we as humans can certainly use them, their emotions for our selfish interests, be it for unconditional love or some other purpose.
In Delhi, people are very fond of dragging each others' mothers, sisters & whole gene tree into smallest of arguments. That doesn't necessarily reflect the character of the insinuated person nor their relatives! Same logic applies here as well I suppose! :twisted:

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:58 am

nitroex700 wrote:In Delhi, people are very fond of dragging each others' mothers, sisters & whole gene tree into smallest of arguments. That doesn't necessarily reflect the character of the insinuated person nor their relatives! Same logic applies here as well I suppose! :twisted:
Are you living in Delhi? If yes was this "great culture" able influence you too? I am sure this culture does not affect the entire country :twisted:

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:08 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:Are you living in Delhi? If yes was this "great culture" able influence you too? I am sure this culture does not affect the entire country :twisted:
Yes I do live in the city. & Thankfully the 'great culture' hasn't gotten to me yet! :mrgreen:

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:23 am

nitroex700 wrote:Yes I do live in the city. & Thankfully the 'great culture' hasn't gotten to me yet! :mrgreen:
Congratulations for not being affected by the "great culture" of your city! You are a real exception and role model to your friends, relatives and neighbors :mrgreen:

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:26 am

:-D :-D :-D

dogmal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dogmal » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:22 am

The Boerboel is a great family dog with all ages of people, it also called the South African Mastiff, South African Boerboel, Borbull or simply the Bole. These dogs were bred as working farm dogs and are one of the most powerful dog breeds. The breed was originally bred for guarding farmhouses in South Africa.
http://www.dogmal.com/boerboel/

gimmethex
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gimmethex » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:21 pm

nitroex700 wrote:
goodboy_mentor wrote:I do not know what to say about comparing humans(soldiers) with dogs in context of Indian culture. If I am not wrong, comparing humans with dogs is considered very derogatory.
Ask that to people who have ever had a dog.. there are many who would trust their dog blindly but not a man.. Ask this to dog handlers of the army that spend darkest nights beside their trusted canine - people who would walk blind through a minefield or track a terrorist through dense jungle based just on their 'buddy's' inputs... A wardog is not a animal any more, its a soldier in its own right! Its loyal to a fault, a great virtue from a soldier's point of view. Pls read the poem carefully & try to absorb what every soldier of our forces feels in insurgency affected areas - damned if you do, damned if you don't!
This is true. I would trust my dog more than most of the humans in my life (except my family, of course)
He's my best friend, and even though a lot of people say that animals don't feel love, I really think they do. I can see on his face that he's smiling more when I hug him and all that. It's just lovely. :D

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:59 am

gimmethex wrote:a lot of people say that animals don't feel love, I really think they do. I can see on his face that he's smiling more when I hug him and all that. It's just lovely. :D
All mammals including dogs have a very well developed brain capable of experiencing human like emotions of love, anger, sadness, happiness and even dreams in sleep etc. It is a scientific fact. Those people who say people that animals don't feel love are incorrect or ignorant of facts.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:29 pm

@gimmethex I don't have a pet but am a massive animal lover and the jungles as are most people on the forum. When these people say animals don't 'feel love' are they referring to domesticated animals or wild ones? What I am trying to say is a jungle cat will be a creature of instinct much more than a domestic cat which will be a combination of nurturing and instinct I suppose.
I second what you say though- even when playing with strays (by strays I mean the local dogs of the clubhouse I use 3 times a week) I can instantly tell the joy they derive from being patted by me and given a bit of attention. I can very well imagine how happy your family pet must be when you pat him!

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk