Duracoat Firearms Finish

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
ankur_ank007

Duracoat Firearms Finish

Post by ankur_ank007 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Dear Learned members,

Can someone suggest me from where can I buy Duracoat Firearm Finish? I tried searching alibaba, ebay and a lot of other e-commerce sites, but in vain.

Regards,
Ankur

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Duracoat Firearms Finish

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:19 pm

Ankur,

Today I was wondering that why not use spray paint on knives and air guns to give it a good finish. Probably they may not give the desired result in fire arms because of the heat generated.
But spray painting should give good results on knives (for display, where else can you use them in any case) and airguns.
They would work out much cheaper, but expert advise would be required.

Atul

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Today I was wondering that why not use spray paint on knives and air guns to give it a good finish.
It is usually not a question of heat resistance, it is a question of durability.
Most spray paints are just not durable enough and the paint will flake off or chip off with use.
Duracoat, when properly prepped and applied, forms a very hard and nearly indestructible coating.

The firearm in front has been duracoated

One day on the way back from the range, I was dropping my daughter off at her house and she grabbed her pistol case as she was stepping out of the car. Unfortunately, the pistol case was not latched and her P6 (the one pictured-front) dropped out, hit the concrete driveway and went sliding down it. On examining it, we were very surprised to find that there was not a scratch or even a nick on it.
Duracoat finishes can be exceedingly tough.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:48 pm

aadhaulya wrote:Ankur,

Today I was wondering that why not use spray paint on knives and air guns to give it a good finish. Probably they may not give the desired result in fire arms because of the heat generated.
But spray painting should give good results on knives (for display, where else can you use them in any case) and airguns.
They would work out much cheaper, but expert advise would be required.

Atul
Hi Atul ji,

In firearms also spray paints can work but only on the stocks, grips etc, however on the mechanism due to friction of the mechanical parts, heat and burnt residual spray paints do not work. I tried along with my cousin on his pistol, within days it came our around slides and hammer and we opted for traditional bluing. I have seen many constables and SIs painting their guns which looks bad as hell.
I think on knives it may look good, but I am a fan of tradition gold engraving.

Ankur

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:00 am

Ankur,

I have studied the electromechanical gold plating process but stencils are required for that. Do you have any idea of the source of those stencils. That should be a good experiment.

Atul

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:57 am

I have studied the electromechanical gold plating process but stencils are required for that. Do you have any idea of the source of those stencils. That should be a good experiment.

Atul

Atul ji

For electrochemical plating and etching process you can buy stencils from Aliexpress.com, machines are also available. Midway USA's also sells the same, but importing via them will be a bit expensive.

Regards

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:11 am

Ankur,

Were you able to source the Duracoat Firearm Finish. My revolver is due for a bluing touch up and I would like to try this Duracoat for the job.

Atul

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:01 pm

Were you able to source the Duracoat Firearm Finish. My revolver is due for a bluing touch up and I would like to try this Duracoat for the job.

Atul
Atul ji,

Unfortunately not, however I have procured Rust Oleum Spray in Desert Sand and Deep Jungle colours. I purchased it from Tolexo.com. I will try it on a piece of steel and an iron piece and see the finish, if it works then only I will suggest it to you.

Added in 1 hour 29 minutes 33 seconds:

After watching this video, it seems it will work.

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:06 pm

Atul
Hello Atul Ji,

Used Rust Oleum shades to desert camouflage a Thermos flask. Seems pretty, lets see how durable the coat is. The texture of the desert shade is some what grainy to feel too however the Deep Jungle Green is smooth to feel. The desert one has made it look and feel like fine sand has been sprayed on the surface.

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:28 pm

Ankur,

Thanks for the information. I think I will stick to the cold bluing for my touch up jobs this time.

Atul

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks for the information. I think I will stick to the cold bluing for my touch up jobs this time.

Atul

Hello,

I would suggest that too, until you want to make your gun like this one;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:57 pm

No Ankur, thank you but I like my gun the way it is. :D

Atul

PeterTheFish
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by PeterTheFish » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:51 am

Amazon. Us selIs brownells gunkote a may ship to India. Very comparable product.

vanlalthakima
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vanlalthakima » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 am

Cerakote the worlds toughest thin film has an Certified applicator in India.
Cerakote is much better than Durakote.

You only need From XII to ship you guns to us.
kindly confirm with us before booking your spot.

This is our website https://vocationalskillacademy.in/cerakote.php

here is our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Cerakote-Firea ... 010738248/

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:54 pm

This spray paint is for alloy wheels so it may be a tough thing . May be given a try .
Great men are not born great , they grow great .