Fountain Pens.

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Fountain Pens.

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 am

Just out of curiosity...

1) Who amongst you uses one on a regular basis?

2) Which fountain pen/s do you use on a regular basis?

3) Which inks do you use?

4) Are you a fountain pen user, colllector or both?

:wink:

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Fountain Pens.

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:17 am

I do not use a fountain pen,
Though I love to use a fountain pen, but I loose my pens quite frequently and a fountain pen works out a little expensive.
I like to use a metal body Parker pen with Parker ink cartridges, whenever I get a chance and till I loose it.

Atul

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:37 am

Lamy and Mont blanc.
Parker ink.
Everyday user..
To Excellence through Diligence.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:58 am

Atul, I assume you are referring to a Parker Frontier.

Safariwallah, which Lamy and MBs do you use?

Thanks.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 pm

MTK Sir,

I also use fountain pens.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Don't lie! ;)

Be specific, will you.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Not Much Sir,

Pair of Lamy Studios, Al star
Sheaffer Targa, My Dad's old made in Australia Sheaffer (Don't know the name), Pair of Made in Japan Sheaffer
Waterman
Parker
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi,
It's a (pleasantly) surprising question on a Gun Forum :P and strangely enough I was an avid collector a long while a go.
My favourite ones (still with me somewhere :? ) are a pair of gold plated Mont Blanc's (one fountain pen and one ball pen) and a silver plated Cross (fountain pen)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:17 pm

Inder, et al, if you know the model numbers or names, do mention them. Otherwise it's like saying I have a Maruti and leaving it at that.

Also, feel free to post pics of your fountain pens. If you have sets that contains a ball point and/or roller ball and/or a mechanical pencil along with the fountain pen, feel free to add them as well.

SMJ: I don't expect much participation from the younger generation. However, I am not so sure about the middle aged and older codgers, despite their interests in arms.

Walibaa
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Walibaa » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:42 pm

Is Pen is mightier than gun.
https://t.me/pump_upp

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:25 pm

So they say.

Not wanting to take a chance, I decided to hedge my bets by having a foot in both camps. LOL.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Walibaa wrote:Is Pen is mightier than gun.
Depends on who is wielding which.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:So they say.

Not wanting to take a chance, I decided to hedge my bets by having a foot in both camps. LOL.
Now there's a statement made in the inimitable Mack style.
So, go on. Don't keep us in suspense, show us the photos.

I used to use a fountain pen when I was in India.
To tell the truth, the one time I did try to use a fountain pen after I came to the US, it leaked in my pocket and wrecked my shirt.
Everyone had a good laugh at my expense.
I was 19 at the time and worried about inconsequential stuff like what other people thought, so I gave up on them.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Let me begin by saying that my relationship with fountain pens goes back to the time we were allowed to use them in school (Std. 3?).

Unlike today, ball points, roller balls, etc. weren't permitted and even if they were, I would have stuck to fountain pens.

Barring a very brief period a year or two ago, I have not been a collector but have amassed a fair number over the years. Most of my school pens (primarily Camlin and Chelpark) are long gone. Ditto for those used in college. Now that I think back, we must have been amongst the last batches (class of '85) that had to draw on a drafting board and not on a computer.

When I decided to collect, I was primarily drawn to vintage fountain pens from the 1930s to 1960s but soon put a stop to that for pecuniary reasons.

Some status pens came my way early in my life and I used them for years but when they became easily recognisable in India. I put them away and mostly used Lamy Safaris.

Whilst the Safaris are good fountain pens, I wanted something better. About a year ago I decided to zero in on two fountain pens I have had my eyes on for a very long time - the Pilot Vanishing Point and the Lamy 2000.

The Pilot Vanishing Point was designed at the time of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. Here is how it works http://thewritingdesk.co.uk/reference.php?id=43

The Lamy 2000 was designed by Gerd A. Muller (of Braun electric shaver fame) for Lamy and it entered production in 1966. Here is an excellent review - http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum ... my-design/

Both pens have largely remained unchanged, more so the Lamy 2000, for approximately 50 years and still remain in production.

The Pilot Vanishing Point allows me to continue using a fountain pen but one that has the convenience of a ballpoint. Hence, this is almost always in my shirt pocket along with a Caran d'Ache 2mm clutch pencil and a writing pad.

On days that I know I will be doing a lot of drawing and writing, the Lamy 2000 and its siblings (ball point, 4-in-1 ballpoint and 0.7mm mechanical pencil) along with the 2mm clutch pencil and pad take up pocket space. For sketches and marking on site, a Lamy Scribble (3.15mm lead), Koh-i-noor (5.6mm lead) and an old set of six clutch pencils having different coloured 2 mm leads remain in the bag. However, the pencils are another subject.

For those days that I only want to carry fountain pens and just one pencil, I ink up my Platinum #3776 Centurys in Bourgogne, Black and Chartres Blue with similar coloured inks.

My current inks are J. Herbin Perle Noir for black, Diamine Red Dragon for red, Diamine Midnight for blue and Diamine Green/Black for green. All excellent inks. However, there is no water resistance, especially from the Diamine inks. I have switched to Platinum Carbon Black as black is my primary colour and it's waterproof. I may switch to pigmented red, blue and green inks later.

The Platinum Carbon Black and other pigmented or iron gall inks are high maintenance inks and not recommended for those who do not write everyday. Nor is it recommended for those who do not clean their fountain pens regularly.

Some pics....

Added in 1 minute 32 seconds:
There's lots more to come but I would like to hear from other members as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:Atul, I assume you are referring to a Parker Frontier.

Safariwallah, which Lamy and MBs do you use?

Thanks.
Mack TK,

I do not understand the words 'safariwallah', 'Lamy' and 'MB'. The pen that I use is a Parker sort of shiny steel finish. If you can clarify the words mentioned it would be a good learning for me.

Atul