Slingshot: Back to Dennis the Menace days

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Slingshot: Back to Dennis the Menace days

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:51 am

Mack the knife is like Swiss knife different marts and talents keep coming out just like as XL said " certainly man of parts!!"
Interesting thread on Slingshots..
Cheers

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:31 am

Biiiig difference between talent and interests, guys. ;)

Given his forum name, I was hoping our very own Slingshot would pop-up on this thread and show us his cattys.

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:08 am

mack the chakoo..

I prefer watching his videos. As a matter of fact priority is to watch his latest videos over Big Bang Theory when I am back home from work. Thats the only adventure sport I have.. watching cool outdoorsy stuff on a big screen TV..
klick klack..... diskaon

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:09 pm

The rubber we used for our catapults were sourced from the lining of piston of steam locomotive engines.
The rubber had to be carefully split in to 8 pieces, a job handled by cobblers.
As for ammo, the best was clay rolled into balls and carefully dried.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:37 pm

sudhaiob wrote:The rubber we used for our catapults were sourced from the lining of piston of steam locomotive engines.
Somebody else, in Bangalore, mentioned something similar to me less than a month back.

Did you reinforce the clay balls with cut straw or something similar? I also recall reading that the clay got from within termite mounds made for some pretty good catty ammo.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:35 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:
sudhaiob wrote:The rubber we used for our catapults were sourced from the lining of piston of steam locomotive engines.
Somebody else, in Bangalore, mentioned something similar to me less than a month back.

Did you reinforce the clay balls with cut straw or something similar? I also recall reading that the clay got from within termite mounds made for some pretty good catty ammo.
I too remember someone in Chennai mentioning that the Gypsies there (Nari Kuravas) use the clay from termite mounds for Catty Ammo very effectively, Probably because the termites secrete a sticky substance to bind the mud to make the mound....so by mixing with required water the wet mud could be easily rolled into ball shapes.....Ideal for Catty Ammo....A case for Native Wisdom / Innovation :D
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:08 pm

Oh heck! Another reason (apart from missing the Wild West vibes) to rue the passing of the steam locomotives!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:20 pm

A month or so back, I made a ball with some left over M-Seal putty but am yet to test it.

Added in 5 minutes 54 seconds:
Checked with my Bangalore friend and he recalls it being a brake inner liner and he said he would try and get me some.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:18 pm

Bunch of numpties! :mrgreen:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-35529754

Expect to see them marching down Raj Path next Republic Day. ROTFL

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:21 pm

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

There are actually people who are concerned about "violent protestors" getting hurt????? :shock:
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:31 pm

To say nothing of this little gem, "Abhishek Jorwal, chief of police in Haryana's Jind district, told the BBC that the slingshots "were made after a lot of research and development"."

If that pic is anything to go by, I feel sorry for them as they haven't even been taught how to use it properly.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:56 pm

Mack, the big cop was right. Slingshots probably have a few centuries of R&D (aka evolution) behind them!!.... ROTFL ROTFL
Cheers!

EssDee