Question about Turmeric and health

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Question about Turmeric and health

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sun May 17, 2015 12:18 am

Gentlemen,

On the advice of a few Indian friends I started drinking some turmeric with warm milk and sometimes honey for sore knees. It worked very well.

After a few months I had some type of abdominal pain that I later determined was likely gall stones. Reading internet search results regarding holistic and herbal remedies I found conflicting information about whether turmeric is good for gallstones or liver issues or if it actually can aggravate gallstones. The conflict in the information was quite profound. Often when I read about something I would find sources that say it works or it might not work. I think this is the first time I have seen conflicting information about whether it would help the condition or actually cause it.

Since this is a traditional Indian drink as far as I know I thought I would ask here.

Thanks! :)

For Advertising mail webmaster
aftabkhan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Question about Turmeric and health

Post by aftabkhan » Sun May 17, 2015 1:25 am

After a few months I had some type of abdominal pain that I later determined was likely gall stones. Reading internet search results regarding holistic and herbal remedies I found conflicting information about whether turmeric is good for gallstones or liver issues or if it actually can aggravate gallstones. The conflict in the information was quite profound. Often when I read about something I would find sources that say it works or it might not work. I think this is the first time I have seen conflicting information about whether it would help the condition or actually cause it.

Since this is a traditional Indian drink as far as I know I thought I would ask here.
Well, Turmeric contains some biological active substances that can cure certain diseases (However it is not recognised by international monographs like USP, BP, NF or Indian pharmacopoeia). Any drugs (biological active substances) must be metabolized/ detoxified (degrade to simple and excreatory state) so that it will eliminate from body. Liver and kidney are primary organs to detoxify drugs. So high level of turmeric may add additional load on Liver, so its prolonged ingestion is not good for liver tissue. You have to drink more than 4 liters of water per day.

The oxalate content in turmeric is quite significant to aggravate KIDNEY and GALLBLADER STONES. Oxalates will chemically react with minerals like calcium and magnesium to form an water insoluble salt which will later converted to stones.

In short- prolonged intake of turmeric may cause stones. And LESS DRINKING WATER, High PROTEIN intake, High CALCIUM intake may aggravate stone formation.

Aftab
(M. Pharmacy)
If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill - take it and push it as far as it will go, push it beyond where it has ever been before, push it to the wildest edges of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun May 17, 2015 7:51 am

Aftab,

Very interesting information. Thanks

Regards

Atul

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Sun May 17, 2015 8:26 am

Turmeric is a bilary secretagouge and one of the active component cucurmin is the best anti inflammatory substance known to man, hence its effective in inflammatory and autoimmune conditions.
Please continue your regimen you will thank your self. if *you* are susceptible to uric or oxalic acid and hence their corresponding stones in corresponding places then you need to add citric acid to your diet, in layman terms - humble nimbu pani.
Not tumeric but many herbs do elevate liver enzymes so avoid bolus dosages.

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sun May 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Thank you, gentlemen!