When I met Don Anderson!

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

When I met Don Anderson!

Post by SMJ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:29 pm

He knew his end was coming, he was living in squalid conditions but when I met him DON ANDERSON was everything we read about in his father Kenneths books - i.e. even at 79 he was still a mischievous "lad" and regaled us (a friend of mine and me) with some thrilling stories of his younger days when life was slower paced and the jungle far more accessible than it is today.
I mentioned he was living in squalid conditions - this was a man whose father had a sprawling bungalow in Bangalore near Cubbon Park and 200 acres of property in and around the jungles of the South. Sadly, all that was long gone when I met Don in January 2012 - he was in ill health living in a garage next to the house he had been evicted from -he had had goons threaten him just a week before I came to see him (hence he was a bit apprehensive about meeting me) yet the man NEVER EVER complained about his current conditions. Throughout the couple of hours I had the honour of spending with him he was extremely jovial and positive.

I did not know it then but felt he disliked discussing his dads books (although he politely tried answering all questions I asked like a star struck child ) which I later found to be true and the reason was obvious. Don was a very private person (I speak as if I have known him for years :lol:) according to people who knew him and being the son of a famous author he was constantly harassed by "fans" who would shatter his peace and track him down to discuss Kenneth's books. I guess he got tired of it all and hence he disappeared during the 80's for quite a while until one day some time in 2007 Don took a liking to one of the gentlemen who had been trying to befriend him for a while. It also helped that this gentlemen had been a regular visitor to a place called "Chital Walk" owned by Mark Davidar (who sadly himself passed away in October 2013). Mark was the son of hunter turned conservationist ERC (Reggie) Davidar. ERC and Kenneth had been good friends and Kenneths little jungle hut in Sigur had been a few hundred meters away from Chital Walk. FYI Chital Walk was one of the best places in South India for wildlife viewing from the comfort of an armchair and I was lucky to have visited it thrice. Anyway making friends with this gentlemen opened a whole new world to Don of friends and fans unlike and some of them dedicated themselves to looking after him till his demise on 12th July 2014.

For Advertising mail webmaster
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: When I met Don Anderson!

Post by SMJ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Unable to upload any pictures!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:14 pm

keep it rolling please
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:38 pm

SMJ wrote:Unable to upload any pictures!
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22849
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:11 pm

Thanks XL target...I had actually forgotten about that :lol:

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Apologies about the quality of the pictures as well as the lighting - I took these hurriedly on my cell phone before Don could change his mind:) The mischievous twinkle is still there in the eyes!

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Reading this post brought back a lot of memories and I am deeply touched. I read all of the late Mr. Anderson's books as a boy and remember Don being mentioned a couple of times. I still remember one of the books mentioning that Don used a .423 (10.75x68 or probably a .404 Jeffery) bolt action Mauser rifle and considered his dads .405 lever very old fashioned. I am saddened to read about the conditions that Don was living, although he has very rich memories to draw from. He represents a time and life that is forever gone and will only be found in books appreciated by a very few.

Lovely picture of the majestic Gaur & Masheer in the background. I am guessing the Masheer was landed in the Cauvery basin.

Thanks for sharing the pics and the post.
Last edited by herb on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:18 pm

:cpix: SMJ rare, wonderful moments with Don Anderson! Happy for you - absolutely, moments to cherish!

If we could really examine all those images on the wall - what amazing stories could they tell? Bravo Don Anderson!

Well spotted - very keen eyes herb. (y)

:cheers:
Last edited by ckkalyan on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:26 pm

Bravo... Can we do something to help this gentleman.... C'mon IFGians...
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:37 pm

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22318 I'm sorry to have to inform all of you that Don Anderson, son of the legendary Kenneth Anderson passed away this week. His funeral was held this morning at St. Marks Cathedral in Bangalore

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Arti ... 2014002064

Wildlife lover passes away
Bangalore - Times News Network
Jul 16 2014 : The Times of India (Bangalore)

Wildlife lover Donald Malcolm Stuart Anderson, popularly known as Don Anderson (in pic), passed away on July 12. He was 80. Don, the second son of writer-hunter Kenneth Anderson, was suffering from age related illnesses. He died in sleep at his house on Serpentine Street, Richmond Town. He is survived by sister June, who lives in Australia.

Don accompanied his father on expeditions in forests near Bangalore and got inspired by the richness of wildlife. Born on February 18, 1934, he studied at Bishop Cotton Boys' School, and later worked at Binny factory where he retired as a manager.

Don's funeral will be held at St Mark's Cathedral on July 19, 10.30am.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:07 pm

SMJ,

Thank you for the photos and report.

I had a keen look at the fascinating photos on the wall, which makes it even more heartbreaking. Most likely the man flexing his muscles was Don himself. Very sad to know that he had to leave in penury.

Like many here, I too grew up reading his father's stories.I have the entire collection.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:47 pm

At least DON passed away peacefully in sleep due to old age unlike his father who died due to cancer on a hospital bed. I hope both their souls were at peace now. So the two hunting generations of Andersons came to an end in India. As per KDS Anderson he belonged to the 7th generation of his family in India and Don was the 8th generation.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Thank you gentlemen for all your appreciation of this post - this was certainly the right forum to share it on :)

@Herb sir - yes the masheer was landed in the cauvery - i think the picture was from sometime in the early 80's..

@Ckkalyan sir - you are right chief, absolutely moments to cherish when you meet your child hood hero! I truly consider myself blessed and honoured to have met him..

@Vikram Sir - that picture is one of a cardboard cut out with Dons face :lol: and not him. Having said that Don was incredibly strong - his forearms were the size of my thighs I kid you not! Even when you shook his hand his grip was tremendous! As Mr Herb pointed out the picture of the masheer - you can see it took quite a bit of strength to hold up that massive masheer!

If any of you gentlemen would like to know more check https://www.facebook.com/groups/kennethanderson/ -it is an amazing group with a lot of rare pictures of people and places, past and present.

vinod.bhogle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vinod.bhogle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and photos with don. It is sad that with him the last man to have roamed the indian jungles with KA is gone for ever.
I am sure they are both resting in peace at the happy hunting grounds.

andersonfan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by andersonfan » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:57 pm

Is there any way to contact you. I would like to know more about andesron.