FAO Tim- New Mexico- Parts Unknown-Anthony Bourdain

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

FAO Tim- New Mexico- Parts Unknown-Anthony Bourdain

Post by Vikram » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:18 am

I have always liked Anthony Bourdain's books and shows. Tim's love for New Mexico is not a secret. And, since this is a gun forum, there is a nice clip of some shooting fun too. Enjoy.

[youtube][/youtube]
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: FAO Tim- New Mexico- Parts Unknown-Anthony Bourdain

Post by timmy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:27 am

Vikram, thanks so much for posting this! New Mexico is much more rich than this short program can represent, but this video does a great job of relating a little bit of the flavor of what my home is all about.

Anthony Bourdain drives a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible -- I rode to high school in one, except it was the XL version, fancier and sportier. To this day, nobody understands why I love these Fords so much.

At the very beginning, Bourdain is driving down from the Sandias into Albuquerque on Central Avenue, which is old Route 66, which some folks call "The Mother Road" because it connected the center of the midwest, Chicago, with Los Angeles on the West Coast. In this beginning part, there is a brief clip of the Monterey Non-Smoker's Inn on Central Avenue. This is an old motel and the only one that is still kept up in very nice shape. We ALWAYS stay there in Albuquerque. There are other, fancier, and more expensive hotels, but I would never stay in one. I go only to the Monterey Non-Smoker' Inn. For years, it has been run by a Polish couple who came to the USA many years ago, but we stayed there in the days when the original Hispanic family stayed there.

Bourdain did cover well the difference in culture between the West and the East and West Coast, especially the gun part of this difference.

He covered the food well! Carne Asada, Carne Adobada, Posole -- oh, dear! How I miss that food!

What he was showing in Santa Fe as far as how hot the food is was overblown, however. The food is great, and I would guess that anyone used to hot Bengali food would find New Mexico food just right! Green is hotter than red, and has more of an earthy, vegetable flavor. Red has a sweetness to it. Green or Red is the State question, but there is also "Christmas" which is 1/2 green and 1/2 red. I like green, myself. If the restaurant doesn't have a bottle of honey, walk out and find a better place!

In Santa Fe, they showed a brief shot of the Native Americans selling jewelry on the Plaza in front of the Palace of the Governors, which dates from Spanish times and is now a museum.

The very old Spanish culture and old language is the way it is in Northern New Mexico. The people are incredibly nice.

The Native American culture is also well-represented by Bourdain. Their way of keeping their own culture, but also being VERY American is exactly the way it is. Also, I liked how he mentioned the old Native American culture and empire there 1000 years ago, except that it dates far before 1250 that Bourdain mentioned.

Both Spanish folks and Native Americans are VERY patriotic, probably more than any other people in the USA. But they are not in your face about it. Anyone can get along with people in New Mexico without a problem in the world.

The attachment to the land that is shown is exactly how it is -- the open spaces, the fantastic red rock mountains, the huge skies with large fluffy cumulus clouds floating overhead all day, like old Spanish galleons in the ocean -- it is all part of New Mexico, along with the people and that feeling you get of belonging, whoever you are. Once this land is marinated into your body -- something that happens very subtly, you are hooked. I can't feel at home anywhere until I get back. It is almost painful to think about it.

The funny thing is, the great majority of Americans don't even know anything about this most American place, where cultures meld together, yet retain their own flavor. Bourdain spoke about metaphors, and the food is a great one for New Mexico: all of the elements are mixed together, but you can taste the meat, beans, chile, rice, and posole -- each ingredient adds to the flavor of the others, yet retains its own unique taste.

Again, Vikram, thanks for sharing. This was a treat for a homesick boy!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:21 pm

Timmy,

Glad you liked it and thank you for the edification re New Mexico. I really like Bourdain. The man is, apart from being a decent chef, intelligent, balanced and respectful to the people and cultures he meets.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:51 pm

From one chef to another.....LOL - good share Vikram and great first hand New Mehico feel timmy - loved it! Brilliant; not to mention delicioso - Yummy - Drool!!

Muchas Gracias Senores! :D

:cheering:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Timmy wrote:
The funny thing is, the great majority of Americans don't even know anything about this most American place, where cultures meld together, yet retain their own flavor. Bourdain spoke about metaphors, and the food is a great one for New Mexico: all of the elements are mixed together, but you can taste the meat, beans, chile, rice, and posole -- each ingredient adds to the flavor of the others, yet retains its own unique taste.

Thanks to Vikram & Timmy for sharing & creating an awareness to the 'New Mexican Cuisine :D
Now I know that the New Mexican cuisine is the regional cuisine of the US state of New Mexico. Part of the broader Southwestern cuisine, New Mexico food culture is a fusion of Spanish and Mediterranean, Mexican, Pueblo Native American, and Cowboy Chuck-wagon influences. Homegrown New Mexico cuisine is a mosaic of all cultures.
I can imagine a huge elm tree under whose sprawling shade are spread a few tables & chairs seated with a bunch of happy people savoring the delicacies while in the background stand a trio of 'Mariachi Singers' strumming their guitars & crooning "La Cucaracha" :lol:

As CKK put it 'Mucho Gracias Senores' - Hasta La Vista :D
Briha