THE ALFRED DUNHILL STORY!!!

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

THE ALFRED DUNHILL STORY!!!

Post by brihacharan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi Guys,
There are many stories of people achieving fame & fortune even without a formal education....
Well, here's one such that brings to light what enterprise & enthusiasm can achieve.....

A church in London had rules that it would not employ anyone, without formal high school education. However the benign old pastor employed Alfred Dunhill who lacked formal education to clean the pews, sweep the floor and keep the podium spic and span.

Once the old pastor retired, he was replaced by a younger pastor who followed the rule book & issued a notice to resign. Dunhill knew that he had no option & started out his afternoon stroll in deep thought and got into Bond Street.

Suddenly, he felt an urge to smoke & could not find a single tobacco shop on the entire street. He walked further down into a side street where he could purchase his cigarette. He then realized that a small cigarette shop in the street would be a sound business.

He resigned at the church and started a small shop on Bond Street which prospered way beyond his expectations. He noticed that many of his customers were coming from the other side of the street.
He started another shop on that side of Bond Street. The two shops multiplied to four and then sixteen in three years,

Alfred Dunhill Co. by then was a leading tobacconist in England. He started machine-rolling cigarettes and introduced his own brand of Dunhill cigarettes. In five years, he was a millionaire many times over.

To ensure a consistent supply of tobacco, he entered into an annual purchase agreement with a couple of American tobacco farmers and went across to America to meet them. It was a big boost for the American tobacco farmers and the contract signing ceremony was converted into a media circus, with a Senator and Governor participating.

When the contracts were finally signed, Dunhill affixed his thumb impression because he had not learnt to sign his name. The Governor was impressed and said, “Well Sir! This is awesome. Even without a formal education you have achieved so much, just imagine what you would’ve become if you had a formal education!”

Dunhill’s characteristic often repeated reply was…

“If I knew how to read and write, I would still be sweeping the church!” ROTFL
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: THE ALFRED DUNHILL STORY!!!

Post by timmy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:34 pm

Briha, thanks for this story. When I would go to the UK, I would see Dunhill goods, like wallets and such, and knew about their cigarettes and such. However, I never knew the story behind it or understood the background of the company. Thanks for filling us in!

The story reminds me of a fellow I once saw in Denver driving one of those huge, top-of-the-line Mercedes Benzs. He had a license plate that abbreviated "high school dropout."
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 pm

timmy wrote:Briha, thanks for this story. When I would go to the UK, I would see Dunhill goods, like wallets and such, and knew about their cigarettes and such. However, I never knew the story behind it or understood the background of the company. Thanks for filling us in!

The story reminds me of a fellow I once saw in Denver driving one of those huge, top-of-the-line Mercedes Benzs. He had a license plate that abbreviated "high school dropout."
This just goes to prove what I came across sometime ago.....
While formal schooling is an important advantage, it is not a guarantee of success nor is its absence a fatal handicap.
Ray Kroc

Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:40 pm

Now I know the how & why of Alfred Dunhill & Sons, Bond Street, London! I had enjoyed their products in the grey market, but didn't know the history.

Thanks a lot, Brihaji!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:34 pm

Briha, the old saying is, "I can't give you brains, but I can give you a diploma."

My Dad used to say, "Look at your diploma." He would point out how it would read, "has successfully completed the prescribed course..." or similar words, and then he would note that the diploma didn't actually say that somebody knew something, only that they had done something.

As someone who went to college late in life, I found that the coursework really had something to offer and that I could obtain it if I set myself to learn. Some of the young people around me didn't always approach the opportunity to learn with the same attitude, although many did. Personally, I found myself very motivated to learn all I could and did well.

Like anything else, school can be a very powerful tool if it is used properly.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:36 am

timmy wrote:Briha, the old saying is, "I can't give you brains, but I can give you a diploma."

My Dad used to say, "Look at your diploma." He would point out how it would read, "has successfully completed the prescribed course..." or similar words, and then he would note that the diploma didn't actually say that somebody knew something, only that they had done something.

As someone who went to college late in life, I found that the coursework really had something to offer and that I could obtain it if I set myself to learn. Some of the young people around me didn't always approach the opportunity to learn with the same attitude, although many did. Personally, I found myself very motivated to learn all I could and did well.

Like anything else, school can be a very powerful tool if it is used properly.
Timmy,
This reminds me of another of those 'Gems' by Mark Twain > "My Schooling had nothing to do with my Education"
Also agree with your statement re: Today's young generation....My personal experience during a 7 year stint teaching in a Business School :D
Briha