Can You Shoot a Gun in Space?

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Can You Shoot a Gun in Space?

Post by sudhaiob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:17 am

timmy wrote:
brihacharan wrote:Very interesting topic...
Is it the reason why "Harpoons" are used to shoot underwater than guns?
Briha
When I was a kid, I remember watching a diving show where they were down with sharks. The divers had poles about 2 meters long and with a shotgun barrel device on the end. They would whack the end of the barrel on the shark's back behind the head and it would kill the shark almost instantly. (These were large sharks.) These things were loaded with just one shotgun shell. I don't know how they were kept dry, but that would not be a big problem.

Unlike the diver's spear gun, I suppose they found it necessary to kill the shark immediately. However, they had to get above the shark -- they didn't "shoot" them until they were above and behind, so the thing didn't seem very flexible as a self-defense weapon. I don't recall what the show was about (I was only a little kid) but I do recall wondering what the point of killing the sharks was.

Of course, in those days, sharks, like wolves and grizzly bears, were in the category of "evil" animals. I expect that this was a denial that only people do evil (like senselessly killing sharks), not animals.

In the "old days," I remember spear guns being powered by giant rubber bands. Newer ones, at least the ones on 007 movies, seemed to have CO2 cartridges to power the spear (if the movies can be taken at face value) I haven't studied these things, but I suppose the spear has something to do with being able to cause significant damage to a lot of tissue without destroying it (like a broadhead arrow).

It's an interesting question, though!
The scenes of shooting sharks were from Australia/New Zealand where tuna were being herded in a big net and harvested periodically. The fish were herded using nets. Attracted by the fish the sharks would attempt to enter the net causing holes or even end up getting entangled in the nets. The divers used to maneuver over the sharks, shoot them with the single shot, cut loose the carcass and patch up the tear.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:10 am

Hammerhead wrote:
xl_target wrote:
Metallic cartridges are lacquered at each end to keep them dry and shotgun shells can be sealed in a condom.
Another thing, any or most propellents can be washed with simple water and will not deteriorate in short periods. Only the primer gets "DUD". Seen it, read it and tried it myself. Not talking about cordite or black powder but most rifle powders.
I've had a loaded mag go through the wash machine.
Took it to the range that weekend and every round fired.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:29 am

as a principle i would say that if you can fart in space then you can shoot as well.lol as both involves gases
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:56 pm

nagarifle wrote:as a principle i would say that iIf you can fart in space then you can shoot as well.lol as both involves gases
This is what would probably happen....It isn't worth the risk ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:50 am

IMO it cannot work in space... Firearm ballistics are based on combustion (of the powder) , which then creates pressure from rapidly expanding gases, which finally propels the bullet forward . There are two possible outcomes when trigger is pulled 1. The primer cap does not ignite on pin strike due to absence of oxygen. Or 2. If somehow there is ignition, the resulting volume of gases would dissipate instantly in the vacuum of space, without generating enough reactionary force to push the bullet forward. Something similar to trying to walk on water or air... I may be wrong though, as I was'nt able to try it... Just forgot to pack my 12 gauge dbbl on my last trip to moon!! :-)
"...there is no spoon..."!

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:37 pm

astronomy.domain - with respect, you are wrong on two counts.

A primer does not require oxygen to fire. It will fire in space. Secondly all rockets are "reaction" motors. All firearms are based on the same principle. The gases always expand and escape from a gun - whether in the atmosphere or outside, but the bullet has to get pushed out before the gases escaqpe. So a gun will fire beautifully in space. It's another matter that in the weighlessness of space the recoil/reaction wil push the gun and shooter backwards towards Jupiter.
http://www.livescience.com/18588-shoot-gun-space.html

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:01 pm

bennedose is correct.
I have never fired a firearm in outer space but all the scientists seem to agree with what Benne has mentioned.

Talking about that; has anyone else watched the Firefly TV series? Or seen the Movie
Lots of shooting guns in space and rollicking good yarn, by itself. I liked the TV series better but the movie wasn't bad.

Some of the TV episodes can be watched on HULU, Netflix or on TV.com. Definitely worth seeing.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Here is a beautifully informative video

[youtube][/youtube]

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Bennedose, xltarget..u are right on the first count about primer ignition. It won't depend on availability of oxygen. I stand corrected...
However, I still have doubts the pressure created would actually be able to impart any substantial kinetic energy for the bullet to penetrate and be effective. Unlike a rocket, the bullet won't have any propulsion of its own. The barrel/breach would not form a perfect closed system(law of conservation of energy) in order for the energy to be transferred to the bullet. On earth the atmospheric pressure would tend to contain and focus the force on pushing the bullet forward. But in space the energy would dissipate much before its able to generate and transfer substantial kinetic energy. moreover, the bullet will have zero mass in space and thus will not be able to generate any force on impact (force=mass x accel.) The bullet will travel forward due to the initial impulse, but lack energy/force required to be effective.
Well, i am no stefan hawkins and may well be wrong...nonetheless, an interesting conversation rattling the brain for traces of highschool physics! :-)
"...there is no spoon..."!

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:26 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
This is what a handgun firing underwater looks like.
Last edited by sohampaul11 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:35 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

This is what happens when a bullet actually strikes water. Seems like the bigger the caliber,the more ineffective it is underwater.
Last edited by sohampaul11 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:48 pm

This 2 part series shows how an AK 47 fires underwater in slow motion. Enjoy!

Part 1 [youtube][/youtube]

Part 2 [youtube][/youtube]