IAF Museum, Palam

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

IAF Museum, Palam

Post by xl_target » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:38 am

Anyone been here?
There seem to be some really unique aircraft there. Got any photos?
Indian Air Force Museum, Palam, New Delhi
Hidden away on the far side of Delhi's International Airport is a significant collection of historic aircraft and memorabilia, telling the story of the Indian Air Force.
Indian Air Force Museum, Palam, New Delhi
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IAF Museum, Palam

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:03 am

Nice find xl_target! :D

I know of another museum in Bangalore, that I have passed by so many times - never got the opportunity to actually go in! My bad! :(

From here: http://warbirds.in/oldhtml/wbblrhal.html

The opening of the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited's Heritage Center and Aerospace Museum in the garden city of Bangalore is a whiff of fresh air to the aviation enthusiast in India. The Museum was opened on August 31st, 2001 by the then Chairman of HAL, Dr. K D Nair. The museum with its collection of ten aircraft and two mockups can claim to be the second largest public aviation museum in the country, next only to the IAF Museum in Palam with its 40+ aircraft. The Museum is located on the Airport road at Bangalore. Just besides the HAL's helicopter complex and hardly 2 km from the Bangalore airport.

[youtube][/youtube]
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:31 am

I have been there but years ago. They have the following as I remember.
1. Old uniform designs.
2. Weapons captured during the war
3. One truck belonging to the Pakistani Army with the Indian Air Force logo painted on it, probably used for spying in 1965.
5. Old ammunition shells and belts
6. And off course some old air crafts.
I will take some photographs if allowed and post it here sometime soon.

Regards

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks aadhaulya,
Would love to see those photos.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:40 pm

XL, my son and I'd made a trip there a couple of years back. Unfortunately no photos as I left my phone in the car park, expecting the usual security hassles - only on entering did I realise that phones/ cameras were allowed :-P

Like most museums in India it can do with a revamp, that said - they have some great exhibits and sonny & I really enjoyed ourselves! :-)

As mentioned above, they have lots of old aircraft tracing the history of Indian aviation.

There's a Mig 25 (sans engines) parked outside the main hangar, it's nothing less than awe inspiring just standing there and peering into the humongous twin tunnels that comprise the engine bays!!

There's also the shot up fuselage of (IIRC) a Mig 21 which took some serious battering in the 71 war but returned its pilot safely home - a testament to both man and machine.

Of special interest would be a few handguns donated to the museum by ex-chief's. These are displayed close to the main entry where they have other small arms on display as well.

In typical fauji fashion the staff is courteous and helpful as well as very tolerant of minor mischief by the steady stream of children who visit them daily.

One of the least visited and most underrated museums in Delhi.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:08 pm

That looks like a great place to visit! The Bangalore museum could be interesting too, except I don't see the pictures. (I'm still tuning this machine up!)

Anyway, seeing a real MiG-25 would be fun, and also I see a B-24 Liberator, which are pretty rare. This is odd, considering that many more of these were made than the more famous B-17.

I wonder, do they really have one of those big, fat C-46 Commandos?

The Spitfire looks like a Mk 24, which is interesting, along with that Japanese Ohka "Cherry Blossom." The Hawker Sea Fury is neat and featured prominently -- the big sleeve valve Centaurus is an interesting piece of machinery. The De Havilland Vampire is very interesting -- we just don't see stuff like that around here! The C-119 with the auxiliary jet takeoff engine is very nice. The one thing I was hoping for was a Lockheed Constellation -- maybe they are working to ready that one?

Anyhow, this place looks like a real treasure trove, with many more things to see. A whole day for this one, I'm sure.

XL, we should get tickets and go!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:27 pm

I once wrote an article on it for a certain publication.
Will endeavour to find it and upload it and the accompanying pics up here.
To Excellence through Diligence.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:36 pm

Safarigent, I would like to see your writeup!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks guys for the comments.
Abhijeet, you lucky dog.
Would love to see that article and photos, safarigent.