The Shepherd

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

The Shepherd

Post by xl_target » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:51 pm

Last night on the way to the in-laws for Christmas, we were taking our usual scenic route on the "Veterans Memorial Highway". When my in-laws lived in the country they lived on Hwy 23 (aka Veterans Memorial Highway). Hwy 23 is a twisting two lane tarmac road with banked turns that climbs and dips between the contours of the land. It is lined with pines, firs and birches on either side and is actually a very pleasant drive. The road has recently been redone and the surface is like driving on glass. Though it has a reduced speed limit compared to the freeway's 70 mph, we have got into the habit of dropping off the freeway and driving on it for the last 50 miles. There was very little traffic on it but it was rainy and foggy, so we were taking it easy and keeping an eye out for deer.

As the the curves of the road unwind in the headlights, the black surface shining in the rain; the rhythmic flashes of the centerline striping appearing out of the fog and the soft glow of the instrument panel provide a perfect setting for the voice on the radio reading "The Shepherd". It is dark outside and the black surface of the road is more perceived than seen. It like flying into the night between the lane marking stripes.
We have the radio tuned to a public radio channel when a program comes on the air from the CBC radio, Canada. They have a short story by Frederic Forsythe that they read every Christmas eve. It is one that I have never heard before. It is about a RAF Vampire pilot in the late 50's transiting from Europe to England to be home for Christmas. Being the master storyteller that Frederic Forsythe is, his tale held us spellbound, from beginning to end.

It was a moving experience and I wanted to share it with my friends at IFG.

"Fireside Al" Maitland reads Frederick Forsyth's "The Shepherd"
If you click on the link above, when the page opens you will see a little speaker icon and a button with the words "listen" on it.
Click that button and you will be taken on a short journey through the words of a master story teller.

You're probably thinking; "what's a Mossy got to do with a jet pilot in 1957"?
Listen in and you will find out. Believe me, it's worth it.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The Shepherd

Post by TC » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:19 pm

This is a wonderful Christmas gift XL :D
Having read your story, I have found the perfect reason to leave for office on a Holiday with a happy face. I can pretend to work and listen to the radio all day :D
Thanks and Merry Christmas

:cheers:

TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:35 am

Glad you liked it, TC.
I thought it was a great story and knew some of you guys would appreciate it.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:03 am

Nice. Thanks for stimulating a trip down memory lane. I read the story a long long time ago

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:31 am

Thanks xl_target for recalling one of my absolutely favourite tales by F. Forsyth - brilliant and very appropriate! Merry Christmas!
:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:00 am

Read it first a long time back, awesome story, vintage Forsyth....... need to listen to it when slightly free today.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:19 am

Hi xl_target,
> Thanks bro for the quick rewind that brought fading memories back to light :D
> The way you described your ride to your in-laws, was so vivid, I almost felt that I was part of this memorable journey!
> Thanks for sharing!!!!
Briha