One more Bollywood go-around

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

One more Bollywood go-around

Post by timmy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:48 am

Folks, please indulge me one more time:

I go on about things so much that, the other day, a friend at work asked me to suggest six Bollywood films that he and his wife might watch, to get a taste of what I enjoy so much. I thought about what suggestions I could make, and of course, six means more than just six, but here's what I recommended to him. I thought I would submit my suggestions to you, as a jury of my peers, for your thumbs ups and brickbats.

I confess, I am still under the influence of the one who was my guru in Bollywood matters. At least you can see how a newbie is progressing in this field! Here's what I recommended to my friend and his wife:
Here are some recommendations for Bollywood movies. Before I begin listing them, I’d like to point out some characteristics of Indian Cinema. Singing and dancing are commonplace, more or less like the musicals we used to have here in the USA. Song and dance serve to amplify the mood of the movie, and the voice over artists (the actors and actresses don’t actually sing — the singing is dubbed) often become famous in their own right. Many times, dance sequences will be filmed in exotic locations, like desert scenes in Turkey or Egypt, or in Switzerland’s alpine vistas. Just as art of other kinds and of other cultures have stylizations like kabuki or opera, so to does Indian Cinema.

Another trait often noted in Bollywood movies is the love triangle, usually overlaid with social considerations like class, wealth, or religion.

A stylized element to the plot line that is commonly used is a plot twist, usually coming somewhere in the midpoint of the three hour movie.

None of these rules are hard and fast, but you can expect most movies to attempt to elicit a strong emotional investment.

With that said, here are six movies you should look out for. I will describe some of the elements of each film, but without giving too much of the plot away:

Devdas (2002): This movie, starring Shahrukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai, and Madhuri Dixit is based on a noted novel by Bengali author Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay in 1901. Shahrukh Khan is one of the most popular actors in the world, and this film is the best dramatic performance of his that I’ve seen. Aishwarya Rai, a former Miss Universe, is also quite good, and Madhuri Dixit, with the dramatic “plum” in the storyline, is a superb actress who you will undoubtedly appreciate for her expressive gestures and acting skills. The story has been made into a movie numerous times, but this production was noted for its lavish sets and costumes. It alters the story from the original novel in some settings and plots points, but retains the interplay between pride, arrogance, weakness, and devotion. The plot is a triangle, but not of the usual kind. Toward the climax, there is the famous “Dola re dola” dance featuring Aishwarya and Madhuri — this is a treat in and of itself. A famous earlier version by the cinematic maestro Bimal Roy, Devdas (1955) was filmed in black & white and is a film tour de force that stays closer to the novel’s story line. It starred the famous Dilip Kumar, Suchitra Sen, and the legendary Vyjayanthimala playing the part that Madhuri Dixit plays in the later version. Vyjayanthimala, like Madhuri, was famous for her dancing skills, being a classically trained Bharatanatyam dancer and was the first South Indian actress to make it big in Bollywood films. The 1955 version also features the voice over work of legendary artist LAta Mangeshkar, a real treat by herself. I recommend you watch Devdas (2002) as your first Bollywood, but if you can see the 1955 version and are in the mood for a real artistic treat, do so.

Fanaa (2006): This is an Aamir Khan movie, which examines the motives and impacts of terrorism. Aamir Khan is often noted for his “thinking man” films, which often thoughtfully explore different social issues. In this case, he plays alongside the actress Kajol, who will, I’m sure, quickly become a favorite actress to watch. She isn’t known for dancing skills, nor is she as glamorous as other Bollywood actresses who are famous for their beauty, but she has a magical way of binding you to her emotionally that is on full display in this movie. The plot is quite interesting and is a good thriller, so do not miss this one!

Dil To Pagal Hai (1997): You asked for dancing, and this is a very good film for dance. Shahrukh Khan stars as a dance theater operator whose female counterpart injures her foot, causing him to look for a replacement. He finds one in Madhuri Dixit, who is in top dancing form in this movie. Both Shahrukh and Madhuri have a complicating love interest, so there are two triangles. The film is fun and, if you like watching a Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movie for the artistry of dance, you will enjoy this one.

Dil Se (1998): This is the third film of a trilogy by Tamil director Mani Ratnam and with music by Oscar winning composer A R Rahman. This film explores the phenomenon of terrorism from the personal perspective, featuring Shahrukh Khan in the lead with Nepalese actress Manisha Koirala. The film powerfully examines Shahrukh’s increasing involvement in the world of terrorism and is not to be missed — I can’t describe much more without giving the plot away. Be sure to be watching the famous song and dance near the beginning, filmed on the Nilgiri narrow gauge Railway in the Western Ghats — it is breathtaking!

Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001): This is a tear-jerker, and features the great chemistry of Shahrukh Khan playing across from Kajol. These two can make magic together! The story involves two sons, one adopted and one natural, whose wealthy parents (played by real live couple Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan — he used to occupy Shahrukh’s position in Bollywood, back a few years), and the roles of parents, children and tradition in the family. Hritik Roshan plays a supporting role as Shahrukh’s brother, and while he’s not my favorite actor, his dance moves are amazing. You will think that he is made of rubber! The film has great music, some by the legendary Lata Mangeshkar — her melancholy theme is my favorite Bollywood song. The music alone is worth watching, and don’t underestimate the emotional power of a Bollywood movie: I have played this film a number of times and have seen the last person you would expect hasten to leave the room to mask his emotional response. It is a fun movie and is highly recommended.

Om Shanti Om (2007): This movie stars Shahrukh Khan as an aspiring actor that never rises above being an extra, and his love for a top Bollywood actress. I recommend that you watch this one after you have seen some other films, because this one is replete with puns and jabs at most everyone else in Bollywood — apparently in good fun, as most everyone who is anyone appears in a song and dance scene in the middle of the film, which is quite fun and allows you to see many stars. The musical score is great and the film was a breakthrough for very popular actress Deepika Padukone, who gives a good performance. The film plays with the concept of reincarnation in a very entertaining way, and actually is quite similar to the old Bimal Roy film Madhumati (1958). Bimal Roy is a real film master and if you get the chance to see this old black and white film starring Dilip Kumar and Vyjayanthimala, don’t miss it — it too is a great film.

Now, I’m going to switch gears on you both and make a few more recommendations that I cannot let pass:

Chandramukhi (2005): Is a great Tamil (Kollywood) film of Rajinikanth, and it is a favorite of mine. Rather than playing the action hero, as usual, Rajinikanth is, instead, a psychiatrist called on to deal with a psychological problem that turns out to be possession. Like many Tamil films, some parts of the film are absolutely hilarious, and others can be quite tense. This film also features some first class dancing: one of the characters, played by actress Jyothika, gives a great dance performance in the song Raa Raa, along with classically trained dancer Vineeth. If you like dance, this is a really plum scene to watch! The film is spooky, funny, serious, thrilling, and one I recommend very highly.

Pyaasa (1957): This film is an incredibly artistic work done by Guru Dutt. You will be hard-put to find a film as rich as this one from any genre! Dutt stars, produces, and directs this magnificent film that examines some of the foibles and hypocrisy of human nature, playing the part of an unappreciated poet who gets involved with a prostitute played by the great Waheeda Rehman. You won’t find many actresses who can weave such a luminous spell as Waheeda Rehman, and for her performance alone, this movie is not to be missed a shining example of cinema art. Simply, you must see this movie sometime in your life!

Water (2005): This is another movie that examines social conditions and contradictions by Aparna Sen. Waheeda Rehman, much later in life, also does excellent work in this one. Water looks at the condition of women and widows in particular and raises interesting questions about the veneer society applies over its contradictions.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: One more Bollywood go-around

Post by farook » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:28 am

Timmy I am no movie goer and just don't have the patience to sit through it. That would obviously mean my suggestion would be even more refined....I wont bother unless its really really good..

To my mind the best movie ever made was Sanjay leela bansalis Hun Dil De Chukey Sanam. A moral story for every Indian girl that love is not just about emotions.

Secondly just for the way it was directed and of course the acting skills of the legend Aakhain. A movie with lead role as Amitabh Bachan where he plots a bank robbery with three of his blind friends and actually executes it successfully. :shock:

Thirdly The more recent one Jhonny LLB, story of a lawyer fighting for the rights of a common man. His journey is as rough as it could get, even though the direction could have been better still worth the three hours watching it.

To my mind budgets don't make good movies, acting skills and direction does. This is an opinion from a amateur who watches moves only if all the media talks about it.
Last edited by farook on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:00 am

timmy wrote:Folks, please indulge me one more time:

I go on about things so much that, the other day, a friend at work asked me to suggest six Bollywood films that he and his wife might watch, to get a taste of what I enjoy so much. I thought about what suggestions I could make, and of course, six means more than just six, but here's what I recommended to him. I thought I would submit my suggestions to you, as a jury of my peers, for your thumbs ups and brickbats.

I confess, I am still under the influence of the one who was my guru in Bollywood matters. At least you can see how a newbie is progressing in this field! Here's what I recommended to my friend and his wife:
I grew up as a "Macaulayite" Indian who felt disdain for Bollywood and because of life events missed most Bollywood (and all other movies for that matter) from the 1980s to the year 2000.

Tastes differ but here are a few movies that I enjoyed
1. DDLJ (Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge)
2. Three Idiots
3. Lagaan
4. Highway

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:09 am

Timmy, you missed out Sholay. IMHO, a perfect marriage of Bollywood with Spaghetti Westerns. The only Bollywood movie I have watched 11.5 times, and can watch once a week for the rest of my life. Of course, this isn't the typical Bolly-musical, although it does have a fair share of song and dance.

Please include some proper Sunny Deol or Salman Khan or Ajay Devgan action flicks. Dabang or Singham, for example.

3 Idiots, Fanaa, Lagaan are also good, worth a couple of watches. Pyaasa is awesome.

Personal Note: As you might have guessed, I stay far far away from romantic movies, love stories, family dramas, and so on, whichever "wood" they come from! Hence can't even begin to comment on any movie which doesn't have at least 50 odd guns and a few gallons of tomato ketchup in it!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:33 am

Hi,
Will quickly add my suggestions:
1. Rang de basanti
2. Barfi
3. Swadesh
4. Haider
5. Roja
6. Guzarish
7. Jodha akbar
8. Khamoshi
9. Silsila
10. Taal
11. Rockstar
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Gentlemen:

My Wife and I really enjoy Aamir Khan; in addition to Fanaa, we've seen Lagaan and 3 Idiots (he he!) and also Ghajini and Taare Zameen Par. I wanted to pick one I've seen that would resonate with them and this one seemed like the best choice.

Roja -- we've seen the Mani Ratnam - AR Rahman trilogy (Roja, Bombay, Dil Se), all of which we liked. I do like Arvind Swamy a lot, actually. Maybe I should have chosen Roja, instead.

Jodha Akbar - we liked this one -- I speculated that Aishwarya Rai's sword fighting scenes were helped by her dance skills. I liked the part where Hritik Roshan has the bad guy dumped over the balcony, which is historical, I understand.

I've heard of many of the other films mentioned, but I haven't seen them yet, which I must do. The next one up, which I have wanted to get around to, is Mr. and Mrs. Iyer.

One film that I really thought was so good was Andha Naal with Sivaji Ganesan -- a film which I searched high and low to find with English subs, and I was not disappointed! Great film!

I do like films with guns, as well. On the non-Bollywood side, every gun lover I know loves Zulu, with Stanley Baker and Michael Caine, as I did when I first saw it as a kid with my Dad. I like war movies and westerns, including most anything John Wayne. I've been enjoying British war movies of late, especially. But I also enjoy many other kinds of movies, as well. I love the vividness of Bollywood and enjoy many of the actors and actresses, just like I do with other movies. I often like the music, too, and will watch ones with AR Rahman music in it. I need to find some Kishore Kumar movies, for instance, because I love his voice. And yes, I always like a good Rajinikanth movie, but especially like Sivaji Ganesan.

Pyaasa -- what a work of art!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Timmy, I would suggest some thing by genre and food I like to have watching the movie..... :wink:

Crime (spirits and starters) : Company, Satya, Maqbool, Sehar

Comedy (wine): Waise bhi hota hai, Andaz Apna Apna, Pyar ke side effects, Flavours (about NRI and US culture),

Action (popcorn and soda/beer): I do not really like too much action, unless directed and scripted well and go in line with the story. I still prefer Sholay

Horror (chips and chocolates): Raat, Bhoot which have been good once from last decade or so. However, I have not seen any great movies in the recent 4-5 years.

Entertaining (coffee/tea and cake): Paan singh tomar, Milkha Singh, Zindagi na milegi dobara, rock on, Jaane tu ya jaane na, Swadesh, Rang De Basanti, Jodha Akhbar

Cheers
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Junoon by Shyam Benegal, starring Shashi Kapoor, his wife Jennifer Kendal and Nafisa Ali. The story is based on novel named A Flight of Pigeons by Ruskin Bond. The story is set in the events of 1857 rebellion in the Indian sub continent against the British rule. This movie was released in 1978 and has also received a number of awards. The movie appears to have been shot at a locale that depicts the times of period around 1857. For example no overhead electric wires or other signs of present modern era.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:07 pm

Jagte Raho
Sree 420
Mera Naam Joker
Deewaar
Chupke Chupke
Sholay
Hero