a growing boy

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

a growing boy

Post by dev » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:48 pm

Here is the little guy, weighs in at twenty kilos at five months and growing still.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: a growing boy

Post by Grumpy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:20 pm

I thought you`d gone off your rocker Dev - That thing weighs 20 kilos - 44 lbs ? !!!
- Then I saw the second picture !
Nice pup.........Isn`t is a shame that you can`t work him.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:23 pm

To tell you the truth Grumpy, a lot of people have said the same thing but he does love to play fetch. He'll play it all day if you don't tire of fetching and he runs very well.

Maybe I'll try out a shuttle cock next and who knows when plastic birds shall change feather.

Dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:38 pm

:D !

What`s his mouth like ? Does he have a `soft` mouth - ie, does he chew whilst retrieving or does he return the `fetch` unmarked ?

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:42 pm

Beautiful baby.
I have two of them ---Mother and daughter. Love going for long walks and swims.One is chocolate and the other is yellow. Adorable and really playful though the daughter is a typical "frisbee dog" where as the moms a typical "gun dog"
Will surely post their pictures.
Regards
Vikas

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:27 pm

Nice lab Dev.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:34 pm

Nice pup, Dev.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:54 pm

Grumps,
Didn't know dogs had a 'soft' mouth too.My cockerspaniel would bite hard into everything he retrieved.Is it a characteristic of certain breeds?

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:20 pm

Pran,

Certain breeds like the retrievers are soft-mouthed.It is a desirable trait in them as they would not bite into the shot game while retrieving sans spoiling the meat.Golden Retriever is another example.

Best-
Vikram.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:23 pm

Dogs that retrieve with a `hard` mouth are a pain in the ar*e because they damage the flesh of any bird they carry. As it happens Spaniels are more inclined to have hard mouths than Labs or other retrievers. A good Spaniel is a joy to watch working though and a better animal for walked up shooting........ once you`ve got through their aggravating adolescence that is !
One of our Lab x pups was so soft mouthed that he`d catch baby birds in the garden - even grab them out of the air - and would walk around with them in his mouth. He never harmed one. The weird thing is that he was a real so-and-so for fighting with other male dogs.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:35 am

Thanks guys.

>he`d catch baby birds in the garden - even grab them out of the air - and would walk around with them in his mouth. He never harmed one

Wow! Never knew dogs could be that 'soft mouthed'.My spaniel used to grab sparrows in his mouth too.Of course, none of them flew again. :? which reminds me that I haven't seen a sparrow in Bangalore for a long time...

Pran

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:37 pm

I've been reading this book and it makes me want a working dog all over again.

GG

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:39 pm

Grumpy";p="25110 wrote::D !

What`s his mouth like ? Does he have a `soft` mouth - ie, does he chew whilst retrieving or does he return the `fetch` unmarked ?

He has a soft mouth, specially when he gnaws my hand now and again ;-), talk about biting the hand that feeds. He only chews leather sandals and other stuff up when he gets a chance.

A few days ago he picked up a friend's hawaiin slipper and while I kept telling my friend to get it away, my pal hesitated cause Krpto does this very cute side to side movement with it. The next thing my pal knew was he was a slipper strap short. ;-).

Just wish I had more time to take him running and plunging through underbrush. He seems naturally inclined to hunt and doesn't spook with sudden explosive sounds.

Thanks to all of you who love his looks.

Dev