Do we stand up ?

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Do we stand up ?

Post by shutzen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:02 pm

HI! here is a pic I scanned from the Chandigarh Newsline of the Indian express dt. 16/8/2007 which shows the senior IAS (I Am Sorries) of Chandigarh sitting pretty during the National anthem and in fact two of them seem to be looking in a annoyed kind of manner at the lady in the back trying to prod them to stand. These kind of babus who are punch drunk on power and money are the bane of our country and sadly they get away with it and consider looting the country their birthright. These jokers really have a massive ego and trouble anyone whose work gets stuck with them due to their supreme interpretation of things.

take a peek:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... xpress.jpg

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:06 pm

what they need is an electric prod in the right place to get them up.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Do we stand up ?

Post by Grumpy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:40 pm

It`s a sign of the times..........although, whilst one doesn`t necessarily expect too much of the hoi polloi ( dead ignorant us plebs ! ) our politicians should know better - athough that`s probably too much to expect !

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:32 pm

it is a shame to see the pic.
i also want to state that it is not only the ias officers or the babul but people in walks of life in india who dont show respect by standing up in hte national anthem.

When i stood up during the anthem in kabhi khishi kabhi gam, people started shouting as i was obstructing their view and it almost ended up in a fight.

i hear that in maharashtra all films are followed by national anthems and people stand up.
can anyone confirm?

would like to state that while jan gan man is our national anthem now, it replaced vande matram (which was replaced for religious reasons- rightly so perhaps.)
the present national anthem was actually composed as a song of praise for king george. supposedly composed for his coronation but was not sung as it was not loyal enough. it was definately sung when visited india in 1919.

im sure you all can get lots of the links on the internet confirming this. but it is obvious if you try to follow the words.
heres one link that translates those words.

http://batrasden.wordpress.com/2006/08/ ... -you-sure/
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:49 pm

Shooter,
Have known what our national anthem meant for sometime now.Glad you bought up the topic.A shame to know that a lot of idiots still respect the stupid politician who chose our national anthem for us.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:16 pm

Read this >> for the flip side of that piece...

And lets not forget that this is NOT a forum for political discussions unrelated to guns/ shooting/ other sporting pursuits...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:20 pm

i wont post my views about the link mundaire sent simply because i agree with him that this is a shooting forum. i guess i got carried away.

pran i didnt mean to belittle anyone. many forum users might know the meaning hence the link.

as mundaire rightly said, lets stick to shooting.

jai hind, vande matram, bharat mata ki jai.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:34 pm

Shutzen,

Thanks for that pic.They should be neutered i.e. strip them of their jobs.Nothing would hurt them more.

Abhijeet, you have my personal gratitude for posting that link.Many is a time I seethed in anger at the slanderous spin given to the national anthem.

Pran, I am one of those countless "idiots" who still respect that "stupid politician" and I am happy that the idiots out number the "enlightened".It pains me to see a bright young man like you to hold such uncharitable views.I digress.We shall discuss when I come to visit Bangalore and go fishing with Rusty.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:51 pm

Which part is political Abhijeet - the politicians not standing or SAYING the politicians are not standing ?
BTW, the story IS gun related - look at the picture closely and you can see that one of those characters has got a gun in his pocket................................ :roll: :wink:

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Grumpy";p="25187 wrote: Which part is political Abhijeet - the politicians not standing or SAYING the politicians are not standing ?
BTW, the story IS gun related - look at the picture closely and you can see that one of those characters has got a gun in his pocket................................ :roll: :wink:
Grumps,

This discussion was almost certainly headed for a showdown between those on the "left" and those on the "right", hence my note of caution... BTW - the idiots in the picture are not politicians but bureaucrats, "babus" in local parlance... and.... that's too "tiny" a gun to qualify as a "real" firearm! ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:01 pm

I really don`t understand the fuss about your national anthem - you ought to listen to the dirge that we have to put up with !
If ever an tune conjured images of a funeral procession ( English style ) that`s our national anthem.
Like Billy Connolly said: At the Olympic Games opening parade, before the British team have marched to the end of the first straight they`ve been lapped by every other team !

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:11 pm

Bureaucrats ? ! Bah, spit, yeugh ! Even worse - if the bl**dy direct employees of a nation don`t stand for their national anthem that`s treason !

Thanks for explaining about `babus` - I`d wondered about that. What does `desi` mean ?

"Is that a revolver in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me ?" - As the actress said to the bishop.....................................................

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:10 am

The definitive answer to `Do we stand up` might be supplied by M&M:

"Please stand up, please stand up".

( Wonders will never cease: Grumpy being au fait with some aspects of contemporary popular culture ! : :wink: :D )

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:39 am

Vikram";p="25182 wrote:We shall discuss when I come to visit Bangalore and go fishing with Rusty.
Sure mate.Send a PM when you're coming to Bangalore.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:32 am

[quote="Grumpy";p="25191"]Bureaucrats ? ! Bah, spit, yeugh ! Even worse - if the bl**dy direct employees of a nation don`t stand for their national anthem that`s treason !

Thanks for explaining about `babus` - I`d wondered about that. What does `desi` mean ?
quote]

HI! Grumpy these guys belong to the Indian Administrative service (IAS) - the most sought after job in India - Let me tell u their rank in the pecking order in Chandigarh (U.T.) a city of around 400,000 + residents:

1. Governor - not present at this function
2. Advisor to governor : the dude trying to get up in the pic
3. Home Secretary : sitting cooly glaring back at the prodding lady
4. Finance secretary: sitting cooly glaring back at the prodding lady

so u have Nos. 2,3,& 4 in the adminstration setting a fine example ;)