Black Tigers in India

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:18 pm

shahid im impressed by ur article dated 20 aug, what u wrote makes sense and you put dowm your thoughts in a very nice way. irrespective of the trophy fee, we all agree the thought process was right.

Having said that, i also want to say that its not just about trophy fee for a tiger but in general, there are people in this world who have money and the willingness to spend it on their hobbies, whatever they might be.
1.5 million for a simcard, millions for space tourism, 1 billion for a donation.

i have witnessed crop destruction by the above mentioned animals plus wild boar. ive seen villagers with tears in their eyes showing me their famins struck poor crops decimated by animals and them imploring me to get rid of boars and all i could do was refuse and ask them to go to 'sarkar'.
we all know how easy it is to get compensation in india so lets not even discuss that.

i would like to request the moderators that keeping mind that all true hunters are nature lovers, we should have a wildlife section here because the love of nature/ animals is as much a part of shooting/guns (if not more) as 4x4's knives, outdoors/ fishing.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Abhilash Nagalingaiah
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Black Tigers in India

Post by Abhilash Nagalingaiah » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:30 pm

what i am trying to say is as" one of our members are into wwf and such kind of things we should promote it through our members to enrole into such things rather than just debate about it and feel sorry about it which is nothing but a waste... i hope this is understandable

Abhilash Nagalingaiah
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Black Tigers in India

Post by Abhilash Nagalingaiah » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:35 pm

and i am specifically talking about the extinction of tiger population and wildlife resources....

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:02 am

Might be a stretch a Hyderabadi gent’s reminiscences - read the last para may be that’s the only hunting left for future ( It can be argued current situation is also due to excesses of past)
"Fibs," said Mir Moazam Hussain. "That's what everyone of your generation thinks I'm telling, at least when I talk about Hyderabad in the old days. Oh yes, you can't fool me. You all think I'm telling the most outrageous pack of fibs."

The old man settled himself back in his rocking chair and shook his head, half amused, half frustrated: "My grandchildren for instance. I can see the disbelief growing in their eyes as I talk. By the end - though of course they are much too polite to say so - I can see they are thinking that I must be either completely senile or completely mendacious. One of the two. For them the old world of Hyderabad is completely inconceivable: they can't imagine that such a world could exist."

"But what exactly can't they believe?" I asked.

"Well the whole bang-shoot really: the Nizam and his nobles and their palaces and their zenanas and the entire what-have-you that went with old Hyderabad State. But it’s all true. Every word."

"Did he ( Hussain’s Grandfather) have a favourite palace?"

"I don't know about a favourite, but the one he lived in for longest was Iram Manzil, just around the corner from here. It wasn't the largest of his palaces, but I think the reason he really loved it was the stuffed tiger."

"The stuffed tiger?"

"You see after building my grandfather's other great love was tiger shooting, and the season for tiger shooting was only a few months each year. So on the hill outside Iram Manzil he built this miniature railway track and on the track he placed a stuffed tiger on wheels. It would be let loose from the top of the hill and we would all line up and let fire with our double barrels: bang! bang! bang! all of us aiming at this wretched tiger as it careered down the hill shooting in and out of the rocks, down the gradient, getting faster and faster as it went down. By the time it reached the end of the track it was completely peppered: blown to bits, poor thing. So the men who were employed to look after the tiger would patch it up, and pull it back, and off we'd go again."

"I can see why your grandchildren might find all this a little... fantastic."