Bangalore Torpedo & Bangalore Blade

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Bangalore Torpedo & Bangalore Blade

Post by snIPer » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:44 pm

This you gotta check out :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore_torpedo

The Bangalore torpedo was first devised by Captain McClintock, of the British Army Bengal, Bombay and Madras Sappers and Miners at Bangalore, India, in 1912. He invented it as a means of exploding booby traps and barricades left over from the Boer and Russo-Japanese Wars. The Bangalore torpedo would be exploded over a mine without the sapper having to approach closer than about ten feet (three meters).............

THE BANGALORE BLADE

The newest evolution of the Bangalore is the Bangalore Blade, an updated version made from lightweight aluminum and using shaped-charge technology to breach obstacles which the original Bangalore would have been unable to defeat, such as concertina wire
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:13 am

Remember the first battle sequence in Saving Private Ryan when the guys hit the beach. After they survive the barrage of machine gun fire, they take cover behind some sand. They get organized and the Cap'n shouts "BANGALORE... BANGALORE... " a couple/few times. I came home that night and looked it up.

Editing after reading the wiki. Its mentions the movie too ;)

Amazing stuff, eh ?

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Bangalore Torpedo & Bangalore Blade

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:23 am

snIPer";p="24552 wrote:This you gotta check out :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore_torpedo

The Bangalore torpedo was first devised by Captain McClintock, of the British Army Bengal, Bombay and Madras Sappers and Miners at Bangalore, India, in 1912. He invented it as a means of exploding booby traps and barricades left over from the Boer and Russo-Japanese Wars. The Bangalore torpedo would be exploded over a mine without the sapper having to approach closer than about ten feet (three meters).............

THE BANGALORE BLADE

The newest evolution of the Bangalore is the Bangalore Blade, an updated version made from lightweight aluminum and using shaped-charge technology to breach obstacles which the original Bangalore would have been unable to defeat, such as concertina wire
Hey SnIPer, hope you watched then latest avatar of the BT charge on Discovery's Futrure Weapons last night :)

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:09 am

Oh yes i did - thats when i looked up google to search about the Bangalore torpedo - and when i found it i decided that it was worth sharing :-)

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:37 am

Bangalore Torpedo!
Ah, thought you guys were talking about me... :)

Actually , am proud to be not only a Bangalorean (in exile though :() but also lived about 300m from the place where the BT was invented , the present MEG center-they've been around for over 225 years and ...I've been in there and spoken to the Commandant and learnt a lot of fascinating facts about the BT and MEG.
Thanks for a recap!
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:18 pm

So what is Banglore Torpedo in its present form ? is it a pub now ?

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Bangalore Torpedo & Bangalore Blade

Post by hamiclar01 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:28 pm

snIPer";p="24552 wrote:
The Bangalore torpedo was first devised by Captain McClintock,
memories...........years ago, when i was still running in chaddi banyaans on summer afternoons, i came across the bangalore torpedo as an entry in bhargav's english to hindi dictionary. was looking for a naughty word i'd heard on screen actually. tee hee!

interestingly, the bhargav's dictionary was a birthday present. so you now now what a sorry little childhood i've had. not even daring to say no to some of the crappiest presents ever showered across :shock: a birthday cake to a six year old.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:12 pm

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:58 pm

hi

Banglore Torpedo is simple a pipe with explosive filled and a means of setting the explosive off. pipes comes in sections so that they can be screwed togeather to give it length( sounds sexy) :oops: :oops: and inserted under or between the wire. Aim is to clear a path for the troops.

the in the UK the army uses a modern version "viper" which comes in small size and large one. mounted on vechle and is fired into the wire fence/anti personal mine field, on impact the viper explodes and clear a path. nice bit of kit. :D

nagarifle