J&K govt issues over 2 lakh gun licences since 2009

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: J&K govt issues over 2 lakh gun licences since 2009

Post by farook » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:36 am

To the Best of my knowledge a 9mm lugar/ parebullum/ nato was issued to civilians till 1984. (Pretty sure that import of weapons was allowed until 1986 with a import duty of 360 percent though.) Happy to be corrected with documented information.....Now where is goodboy mentor
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:15 am

farook wrote:To the Best of my knowledge a 9mm lugar/ parebullum/ nato was issued to civilians till 1984. Pretty sure that import of weapons was allowed until 1986 with a import duty of 360 percent though. Happy to be corrected with documented information.....Now where is goodboy mentor
yes i agree wthy you
import was allowed untill 86.but main topic is 9x19mm was ever npb in india after 1959 arms act and answer is big No.why you always crys for goodboymentor its mystry to me.there are two kind of people in this world.one who will advise you and second who will stand rigtht forward to you choice is yours whom you select thanks

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:22 am

I still remember reading an article on 9 mm issued to Civilians till 1984, a few of my friends have it. Actually their dad got it before it was restricted, thereafter they inherited it. Now I cant find that article as its been 30 years now. Anyone with any documentation. This is typical goodboy mentor topic...

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:44 am

were they issued on npb licence? answer is no.infect sdm granted licese for p.b weapons and union india too.you count 30 i count around 100.yes people gets licence p.b licence under faimly hairloom till now

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:46 am

Does anyone have more info on this topic Please...

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:15 am

farook wrote:Does anyone have more info on this topic Please...
Farook your assumption on civilians buying 9mm on NPB licence till 1984 is not right. Restriction on 9mm, 38 and 45 came into force long long ago. For generations handguns have been part of life for every male (even some female) members in the families of both my parents. But I can remember only two PB weapons - a 38 revolver the government allowed a Mamaji of mine because he was a judge and the time was the Naxalite period in the 70s when policemen and government servants were targets. The second is a 9mm Luger (also the first handgun I fired :D when I was seven or eight ) that another Mamaji of mine owned because he was a gun dealer with high connection. That should give you the picture.

Inheritance, as Ashok points out is applicable even now. But your suggestion that anyone could apply for a 9mm and buy one across the counter till 1984 is incorrect as far as Bengal is concerned. And I am not aware of any special Arms Acts for the rest of the states. There were of course some local relaxations because of political and social pressure. For example, the head of a certain religious clan in Punjab could issue gun licences and the clan owned semi auto rifles and PB handguns. But these are exceptions, not rules.

TC

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:35 am

Thanks for the correction TC. Was hoping IFG members from other states who have got a 9mm over inheritance would elaborate on this topic...

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:00 pm

I still remember reading an article on 9 mm issued to Civilians till 1984, a few of my friends have it.
There was a confusion

2. The Arms Act defines “prohibited arms”. Arms which are automatic or
semi automatic in nature fall in the category of Prohibited Bore (PB) arms and
the remaining arms which are non automatic or bolt action type are covered
under the category of Non-Prohibited Bore (NPB) arms. Prior to 1987,
licenses for acquisition and possession of Prohibited Bore (PB) and Non
Prohibited Bore (NPB) firearms were issued by the District Magistrate/ State
Government concerned. But, from 1987, powers to issue licenses for
prohibited bore (PB) arms were withdrawn from the State Government/
District Magistrate concerned and since then the licences for PB weapons are
being issued by the Central Government alone (MHA), while licenses for
Non Prohibited Bore weapons (NPB) continue to be issued by the District
Magistrate/State Government concerned.

A 9mm was always a prohibited bore only the licesning authority untill 1987 was the DM/ State Government.

From Here http://www.mha.nic.in/hindi/sites/uploa ... 080410.pdf

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:07 pm

You are probably adding to your confusion by referring to a policy that has zero legal value.

Nothing is prohibited under Arms Act provided you have license from authority competent to issue the same.

Prohibited arms license can be issued by MHA.

Prohibited arms is not equal to prohibited bore. The term "prohibited bore" does not exist under Arms Act or its Rules.

Until mid eighties, the licensing authority for Category I a, b and c of Schedule -I of Arms Rules 1962 was District Magistrate. It was later changed to MHA.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992