US pigeons to get contraceptives

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

US pigeons to get contraceptives

Post by snIPer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Birth control is to be used on pigeons in California in an effort to combat the "unmanageable" mess their increasing numbers are causing.

Animal rights groups support using the contraceptive in preference to other methods such as gates which give electric shocks and poisoning.

OvoControl P, which interferes with egg development, will be put in bird food in new rooftop feeders in Hollywood.

The pilot program is expected to show results within a year.

Laura Dodson, president of the Argyle Civic Association, the group leading the effort to try the new contraceptive, said: "We think we've got a good solution to a bad situation.

"Cleaning up after the pigeons has become unmanageable and this could be the answer."

Estimates suggest that about 5,000 pigeons live in the Hollywood area.

Their rising numbers have been partially blamed on people feeding the birds.

Hollywood area's pigeon population is expected to shrink by at least half by 2012, Ms Dodson said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6921979.stm
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:12 pm

I wonder what happend to this project. :-)

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:46 pm

The title gave me ideas, I was beginning to wonder how they'd get IT on! :mrgreen:

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Reminds me of what i read somewhere that to control the rat population the rats **&( were stiched up and they in turn got so frustrated and started attacking and killing other rats - i guess poison would have been better eh