Things that go bang!

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Things that go bang!

Post by mundaire » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:53 pm

Remind anyone of their childhood pranks & adventures? ;) :lol:

Things that go bang!

By Steve Van Rooy

Guns, firecrackers and dynamite. Also home built muzzleloaders. Anything that went "boom".

It is a wonder we did not blow ourselves up.

I suppose our fascination with things that go boom started with fireworks. These were available frequently due to various Indian festivals and they were cheap. Our purveyor of provisions, the Prakash brothers at Sisters Bazaar, figured out real quickly that the Americans would buy all sorts of things that go boom on (and often well before) the 4th of July and he was well stocked. Besides the anaemic sparklers, and bottle rockets there were packages of small firecrackers with fuses all linked so you could light one and all of them would go off in sequence. These also came in a bigger size. Then there were single large ones, about 4 inches long and about a half inch in diameter. These really went boom.

The inherent problem with all of these firecrackers in those days was two fold. One was the powder. The other the fuse. Sometimes the thing would not go off at all. It seemed. But it was the wise kid who did not pick it up for several minutes. The fuses were often faulty, either burning too quickly or too slowly and seldom at the rate they were intended. Again, it was the wise kid who lit and got rid of the thing as quickly as possible. Even quick was not quick enough on occasion as the fuse literally went from lit to boom in an instant. On one memorable occasion, I was on the chukkar above Bothwell Bank [in Landour, Mussoorie], lit that sucker, reared back to heave it and zip, BOOM. The thing went off in my hand. My hand was right by my ear. It is still ringing. My thumb tingled for weeks.

It was also discovered that with a cigarette you could have a timed fuse. You light the cigarette. Stick the fuse in the butt end of an unfiltered cigarette). Set it below a window somewhere and you could be in your bed half a mile away before it went off. The boys at [Woodstock School's] hostel used this to good effect and pulled a couple great pranks at Midlands. When the firecrackers started to go off, the staff there immediately phoned Hostel. The staff at the boys dorm then checked each room, kept an eye on the hallways for anyone trying to sneak back....and nothing. The perpetrators were already in bed giggling themselves to sleep.

Mason was pretty bold. I was in the Po [restroom] one day and he had a string of TP [toilet paper] across the top of the booths and had a fairly large cracker tied on the end. He lit one end of the TP and suggested I get back to class real quick. I did. A minute or so later, kawumpf, the thing went off, muffled but distinctive.

And of course we had to try to roll our own, always looking for a bigger bang. This involved taking apart several large patakas (the Hindi term for fire-crackers, quaintly onomatopoeic), and amalgamating all the powder into one much larger firecracker. The trick was not in a huge amount of powder, we discovered, it was to make sure the powder you had was wrapped tightly. It was Mason who finally came up with the ultimate bang...dynamite. This was procured from Smiley the Sikh on Mullingar Hill. Mason would stick a small piece, an inch or so, down the open end of the pipe railings that used to line the chukkars as a fence. This was stout pipe. It looked like a pretzel when Mason got done with it.

One day Conrad came to school with flecks of gunpowder (actually, firecracker powder) burned into the inside of his right forearm going back all the way to his armpit. What had happened is that he (and several others) had a pipe gun made for them in the bazaar. Strictly illegal, of course. In total violation of school rules and common sense, of course. It was just a two foot piece of one inch pipe with a plug welded in the back, a small hole drilled in the side, and two short pieces welded onto the pipe, one at the end, one half way down to grip the thing. You put a firecracker fuse in the hole. Put in powder. A wad. And shot (gravel or whatever. You'd light the fuse, point the thing, and hold on for dear life. Worked great...for a while. Then the back blew off and Conrad was lucky all he got was burned. And that was about the last of that.

I got the itch to make muzzle loader when I was a senior. This was a partially insane idea. Gun control in India was strict and restrictive. And you darn sure aren't supposed to make a gun. But I went to Dehra, finagled a lock and hammer mechanism from Himalayan Arms, the gun place about a quarter mile from the clock tower. Then I had one machine shop make me a barrel. It was about 14" long, and tapered. The owner looked at me quizzically and asked me just what this was for. He had a pretty good idea. My explanation sadly lacked creativity, but he bought it. I took the barrel to a second machine shop to have a hole put in on the end. This fellow also deduced what this thing was for. The nipple fit perfectly into this hole and was welded in by Kishan, our mechanic.

I then took these components to Sharma, the mistri [mechanic] at the top of Mullingar. He made anything of metal, like Khaliq a bit further down the hill. I showed him what I had--the pieces. Squatting, he picked up the pieces out of my knapsack. Got up, and shut the door. What did he want me to have him do? Well, I needed a stock and I needed the parts assembled. Looking at me over his round glasses with a sly smile he said he would do it. He would make the handle for this little pistol and put the hammer mechanism in it, figure out the trigger and put it all together. And he did. And did it well. He knew a little about guns. Although not a gunsmith, he had helped dudhwalahs [milk sellers] fix their old muzzleloaders.

The thing worked like a charm. The powder I used was gun powder we made. One winter dad took us to Tanakpur (on the western border of Nepal) to visit some old friends, the Strongs, missionaries who ran an agricultural mission. They had a farm. And they had a son, Jay. Jay was a hunter extraordinaire. He had 4-5 guns of various sorts and vintages and took us pig hunting one night. We never saw a pig, but we buzzed through considerable territory on foot without benefit of flashlight or moon. Jay was so familiar with this area he knew every track. We could hardly see a thing and here he was leading us through the pitch black jungle. We got back late late. But boy, were we impressed!

Jay did not go to Woodstock. He was home schooled there at the farm. In some respects the freedom he had, we wished we had. One of the things he did was teach us how to make gunpowder with ingredients you can get at your local pharmacy right off the shelf. And how to reload our shotgun shells (right down to taking caps apart, and using them to reload our primers. We even learned how to reload .22 shells. From Tanakpur we were going to go back via Corbett Park. And even though they had lived very close (less than 75 miles) from the park, Jay had never been there. So we took him with us on the way home. He had never seen so many cheetal (mid-sized spotted deer) in one place. His trigger finger itched something fierce. A week later we put him on a bus back to Tanakpur from Ramnager.

It was Jay's gunpowder concoction that I used in the little muzzle loading pistol. After the thrill of the conspiracy of getting it made and assembling the parts, and shooting it some, the thought of getting caught and getting into serious "doo doo" [trouble] overcame any notions to use it much. Not even my folks knew of it until much later. Because the pistol was not licensed, I could not sell it for much and ended up practically giving the gun away before I left India.

Not long ago I was with my family at a local fireworks display on the 4th. Big bangs, way up in the sky. Sophisticated patterns. Lots of colour. But awfully sterile I thought. No smelling the powder. No ringing ears. No lighting a large firecracker with a stick of incense and heaving it as quickly as possible. No fun at all.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Things that go bang!

Post by shutzen » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:34 pm

HI! Abhijit This reminds me of some of the stuff we used to do in our holidays at the farm - one I remember distinctly is that the chowkidars in the maize fields had these hammers which used to have a cavity in one end and they used to put a small qty. of sulpher and pottasium (available at all the ration shops in the area) and strike it on a large stone for a loud bang to scare away the parrots. Well we primed the thing to the top and smashed it down on the stone real hard and there was this HUGE bang - it seemed to ring in our ears forever ;) we were partially deafened and the boulder had split into 3 pieces and we took a on the spot decision not to go for the big bang again.

Besides this we had loads of fun with air rifles and we were xpert in changing springs,pistons and getting some brazing done on the trigger sear and filing it down so that the autofire on loading did not happen. (Content edited out. Third and last warning, Shutzen. You know what I am refering to.) We had loads of fun shooting holes in 5 ltrs mobil oil cans after filling em with water.

Did loads of delayed fireworks in school and college - only thing we simply used to tear off the paper fron the fuse and removed the powder coating from the thread and then the thread itself became a slow buring timer. the atom bombs going off in the loos and class room ventilators were great fun ;)

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:00 pm

shutzen";p="23378 wrote:one I remember distinctly is that the chowkidars in the maize fields had these hammers which used to have a cavity in one end and they used to put a small qty. of sulpher and pottasium (available at all the ration shops in the area) and strike it on a large stone for a loud bang to scare away the parrots.
Yep, have often seen the contraption in question - used most frequently by "thekedars" (contractors) who take Mango orchards on contract... they also commonly use a bow shaped catapult combined with sun dried clay "balls" (as ammunition) to shoo birds...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:29 pm

I have never seen or head of one of these, does anyone have a pic?

They sound interesting!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:47 am

It seems that kids in India got up to much the same lethally silly behaviour with fireworks as we did. I can remember launching 1" ball bearings from a pipe gun that used to fly over nearby buildings and come to earth several hundred yards away and plug 6" into the ground. Of course it never occurred to us what might had happened should anyone have got in the way..........
Filling a small can with firework gunpowder and throwing the lighted `grenade` into a large garbage can was very satisfying as well......the `bang` was somewhat muted but the heavy 2 foot diameter galvanised steel lids used to erupt from the cans and fly up beyond house height before crashing to ground.
I wouldn`t have thought that reading about fireworks ..... - and abusing fireworks - was very interesting until I read an article entitled `The Guns of Summer` in a Guns Digest Annual in the mid 1990s which described the work - and guns/mortars/shells - of professional fireworks display companies. Quite fascinating and with much affiliation to artillery.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Mark";p="23388 wrote: I have never seen or head of one of these, does anyone have a pic?

They sound interesting!
Will try and remember to click some when I go to the village this winter...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:13 pm

Hmm..

Great stuff steve, Something tells me not to share my youthful experiences with things that go bang.. Pity though!

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:20 pm

I've done the hammer bit... though it was like a pair of tongs with an old empty key (the one with a hole inside) on one side and a nail on the other, welded to the two arms of the tongs... fitting exactly into the other... 'male & female' contraption... Next, all we did was to buy a match box and break the powder into bits and carefully put it into the empty key... once ful, just put a paper to cover it and carefully lower the nail into the mouth of the key... AND then hit it with all your might on the road or a big stone and enjoy the blast... However, today, looking back, I can say that it could have been dangerous if the key would have ripped open...

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:49 pm

always used delay fuses with bombs. did most of the blasting by placing the bomb under a soup can. The can would take off like a rocket with a deafening roar. I loved attaching paper caps to darts and then throwing them, in school the geometry box compass soon lost its point due to this practice.

Once I attached two rockets to a toothpaste box. In theory it was supposed to take off like fireball XL5 but in reality once one fuse was lit it whizzed up towards my brother who was still trying to light the other fuse.
Forgot the delay fuse on this one. Bro never volunteered for any more space missions. ;-)

Just feel lucky that we still have our eyes and ten fingers.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:45 pm

Very colourful and intresting, just goes to prove the pyromaniac exists in all of us, not just the 3rd voice in Dev's head ;)
I've been up to the usual nonsense with patakas-who hasnt become an instant artillery or IEd expert as a kid? Mine involved using a 4 ft lenght of GI pipe to fire off firecracker rockets into the neighbouring 'enemy' camp during a game of cops and robbers...Bro was reloader and the accuracy of the darned thing was surprising... :evil:
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 pm

eljefe";p="23451 wrote:the accuracy of the darned thing was surprising... :evil:
Meaning surprisingly accurate?? Or that it would surprise y'all each time by launching the missiles in vastly different directions -

"oops sorry... we were trying to hit your neighbour's pesky little kid... do, hope your dog will recover soon... it was too hot for all that fur anyway... am sure he'll have a much more comfortable summer now" ;) :lol:

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Actually it went after a MEG soldier cycling on the road about 200 ft away!!
You would never have seen two kids (10 & 6 yr old) go over /under and sidewards, wishing the ground would open up and swallow us...Bro and I were standing at the same spot couple of days ago and roaring with laughter thinking of that NCO - he was in white T and starched khaki shorts -peddling away like crazy with our deranged rocket after him. :P :oops:

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:24 pm

eljefe";p="23454 wrote: Actually it went after a MEG soldier cycling on the road about 200 ft away!!
You would never have seen two kids (10 & 6 yr old) go over /under and sidewards, wishing the ground would open up and swallow us...
Stick it to the sappers week... was it?!! :mrgreen: :lol:

www.gunowners.in

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:31 pm

their 225 th anniv coming up soon...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:45 pm

Asif,

The 225th anniversary has come and gone. ;)

Mack The Knife