Taxidermist Edwin Van Ingen dead

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Taxidermist Edwin Van Ingen dead

Post by snIPer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:05 pm

I've heard so much about his work that now I plan on visiting Mysore just to see some of it.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 503305.ece

Well-known taxidermist Edwin Joubert Van Ingen (101) passed away here on Tuesday having bequeathed his rich taxidermy collection to museums and institutions across the country.

Often described as “one of the last and the best” of a diminishing tribe of professionals, E.J. Van Ingen came from a family of taxidermists and ran the studio Van Ingen & Van Ingen established by his father Eugene Van Ingen in Mysore during the days of the Maharajas in the late 1890s. His two brothers who predeceased him were also taxidermists based in Mysore.

Describing the contribution of E.J. Van Ingen, John Thomas, officer in-charge of the Regional Museum of Natural History (RMNH), Mysore, and who is also a taxidermist, told The Hindu that there is no museum in the country which does not have a mounted stuffed animal or trophy that could not be traced to Van Ingen’s Mysore studio. The fact that more than 40 per cent to 50 per cent of the mounted trophies across the country be they palaces or museums have been processed in his studio in Mysore is an indication of his greatness”, said John Thomas who had interacted with him extensively.

When Van Ingen’s Mysore studio was shut down in the year 1999-2000, he decided to transfer 90 per cent of his osteological (bone) collections to RMNH which has preserved them for posterity for future studies. Likewise, he has donated the bulk of the primate skull collections to the Anthropological Survey of India, said John Thomas.

He bequeathed his rich taxidermy collection to museums and institutions across the country

He donated the bulk of the primate skull collections to the Anthropological Survey of India

/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Taxidermist Edwin Van Ingen dead

Post by Safarigent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:29 pm

End of an era
To Excellence through Diligence.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Truly a legend has passed away into the Happy Hunting Grounds!
I have seen his extraordinary work as some of my friends have had their trophies mounted by him.
May His Soul Rest in Peace.
Briha

dada_yuvraj_13
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dada_yuvraj_13 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:00 am

Van Ingen The artistic treatment 1938.jpg
Van Ingen Preservation of Shikar Trophies 1928e.jpg
Spots, Stripes, And Stains_ The Bewildering Legacy Of Colonial Taxidermy In India.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Wishes & Regards
Rajkumar Yuvraj Singh Dada (जाज्वल्य,छत्तीसगढ़)

willyson
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by willyson » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:39 pm

Yes, truly it's an End of an Era