The safety of women in Delhi

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Delhi and it's rape scene

Post by Bhargav » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:05 am

Safarigent wrote:Timmy, i understand what you say.
I only meant what i wrote from the point of view of their safety.
A child is a child and no sane man/society should ever distinguish between genders, but unfortunately, that is not true in india.
gender discrimination is a whole different topic, keeping the current topic in mind, I would prefer training a girl child in self defense and making them well versed in firearms usage rather than wishing not to have them altogether.

I have two daughters btw and I am proud of them.

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:13 am

AB, some of my friends are guys from India, but many more are women from South Aisa. These ladies are kind and gentle (the most powerful attributes there are!) fun, smart, silly, charming, and a host of many other qualities it would take me ages to list.

I say this not to curry favor; it is my experience and my feeling. It is a shame that such treasures are not valued about all jewels and wealth. Unfortunately, that attitude you describe is here, as well, regarding women.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: The safety of women in Delhi

Post by Skyman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:38 am

Being armed would have certainly helped the poor woman.I would personally advocate the death penalty for all rapists.

While we discuss about defense against people we don't know, what about the people we know and trust? There was the story of that 13 year old in Kerala who was raped by her Father,Uncle and older brother over a period of months, and another girl just off late who was forced by her father to sleep with men for money,more than twenty men.What about them? What the hell is wrong with this country?

And these are the stories that made the news.What about the ones that didn't?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:01 am

Washington post
Gang rape of a woman on a bus in New Delhi raises outrage in India - http://wapo.st/RBWDyC
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

hardeepsinghbedi
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by hardeepsinghbedi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:03 am

With Regards,

Hardeep Singh Bedi

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:59 am

timmy wrote:AB, some of my friends are guys from India, but many more are women from South Aisa. These ladies are kind and gentle (the most powerful attributes there are!) fun, smart, silly, charming, and a host of many other qualities it would take me ages to list.

I say this not to curry favor; it is my experience and my feeling. It is a shame that such treasures are not valued about all jewels and wealth. Unfortunately, that attitude you describe is here, as well, regarding women.

Agree with you timmy.
And its high time, we started arming our women.
To Excellence through Diligence.

Motorpsycho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Motorpsycho » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:15 am

They should given a sex change operation and put in men's prison. The law must take a priority in dealing with cases like these and the punishment so harsh, would be rapist must shudder at the very thought.
I agree with ABM , we need to arm our women.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:20 am

Zeeeee , that's freakingly sad. Rather not comment on the whole issue but that's shocking news -Haji
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:37 am

Looks like the rapists have no fear of the consequences. Like i have always been saying - they should be SHOT / given the death penalty.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:18 am

Rape or for that matter, any crime can have many reasons. It may be a crime of oppurtunity, a crime of passion, sadism, revenge etc. there are too many possibilities to list. To curtail this sort of thing:
1. The ease of committing that crime should be reduced significantly.
2. The punishment for the the crime must be suitable in order for justice
3. There must be a deterrent in the preventing this from happening again.
4. Above all else, prevention is better than cure.
The points above are entwined and may not be completely separate from one another, basically they are an extension of the same philosophy. Usually one or the other point will be ignored and we end up with the same situation again.
There are difficulties associated with each of the points, either because of politics, or media etc.
One fundamental aspect of society is that the weak will be preyed on, simply because it is easier. Therefore the question is how hard a target are you will to make yourself. And in pursuance of that goal what training are you willing to undergo and what items of defense are you willing to obtain.
Until the above situation is fearlessly acknowledged by the Government in favour of its people, we will continue to see these crimes happen. Crime may not be 100% preventable, but it can be reduced significantly.
The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance.
Anand

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 am

Some news reporter said she's dead. I mean, her condition's critical though. But that's not the point. The point is- it shouldn't happen.

Also, want 'death penalty for rape? Sorry to burst bubble, MP's won't get such a law. If they do, MP/MLA's facing 'rape charge' will be in shit.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:16 am

We have had death penalty for murder for ages. Has it stopped murders? Death penalty will only serve to make cellphone games and social media outbursts like the recent "Hang Kasab" phenomenon. Moreover, capital punishment by very definition is reserved for rarest of the rare cases, hence judges will be very cagey to award the same. Anyway, manslaughter (murder, on the spur of the moment) does not qualify for capital punishment. Rape is usually on the spur of the moment! Added to it is the current 2% convection rate!!

Similarly, solutions more suited to a banana dictatorship (castration, being eaten alive by fire ants, etc.) again are impossible in India.

Prevention is the only cure. Hanging the rapist cannot "unrape" the victim. There's no <ctrl+z> here! Education can certainly help. Bombard our kids with messages on respect for women. Not the Doordarshan type homilies, but hard hitting facts & pics (cigarette pack style). Interviews with raped women (faces & names hidden). With their families. With rapists, even. With the clowns who think a woman's dress is an indication of her "deserving to be raped". With those who say that women should not step out. Get "respect for women" into the bloodstream!

Surprisingly, the comments from celebs, politicians, etc. on the subject has been on highly predictable lines:

1. Hanging / death penalty / castration: as I mentioned above, not the solution.
2. Avenues for bribe taking and harrassment, i.e. CCTVs, more cops, etc.
3. Meaningless Moral Science lessons ("people should respect women, blah and blah")

Not a single one has come out to say that women should be armed (not even pepper, taser, whatever)!!!!!!!!!! This seems to be a "taboo" in our minds. Our subconscious (or whatever) just seems to reject this idea!!! Why? If this is due to "weaker sex" thinking, I would say that these people not much different from the rapists, and the people who force women into "traditional clothes"!

When will we get real?
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

jatindra Singh Deo
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jatindra Singh Deo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:58 am

Kartikeya Tripathi is a graduate in criminal justice from Oxford University and is a researcher at University College London’s department of security and crime science.He has a eye opening article on first world research orinted pratices in stopping such crimes.The science of disruption .

I wonder the reggressive and retarted ,feudal minded police that we have (you will know if you have ever walked into a police station ,more so in delhi) even understand the need for such research to stay ahead of crime.The indian police force always been playing catchup and that too when forced to by media pressure .I shudder to think if we didnt have independent media what would happen to such unfortunate victims.Going by the sick commisioner and deputy commissioner (Tejinder Luthra) of police ,only god knows whats the IQ of a local SI from a police station .
I remember when I was a programmer with national informatics center ,Parliament of India New Delhi,a friend of mine was pick pocketed and along with me went to the same police station i.e vasant vihar.The contable there (a lady !)took us to the computer lab to lodge the fir ,on the CIPA centralized software which ironically was rolled out by us (NIC) across Delhi ,Chandigarh and Haryana.She asked for a 200 bribe to lodge the same !!!! I argued how can the guy pay for it when he has no wallet !! She replied I could lend him the same !!! What followed is any bodies guess.. To expect these disgusting creatures to be sensitive to a female is asking for too much.
The general attitude towards women in New Delhi is not some thing to boast about .I can say this with authority ,being a delhite for 5 long years before shifting to kolkata.Now that I am married ,I would like to be in delhi as I have fond memories around there ,but I wont for obvious reasons .

Please go thought the following article
http://www.firstpost.com/india/delhi-ga ... 61803.html

""""Research has shown that though we may like to believe that harsh sentences act as deterrents to future criminals, there is little evidence in favour of this belief. Most criminals either truly believe that they will get away with the crime, or are unable to think through the consequences of crime they are about to commit.

The crime prevention premise on which First World criminal justice systems (which includes police, prosecutors, judges) now work is that criminals are deterred by their proximal conditions, and not the prospect of a distant punishment. Thus incidents of sexual harassment, and drug dealing in public toilets in London dropped drastically with the introduction of better lighting, and signs warning that plainclothes policemen often used those facilities.

""Building on this notion police forces in cities like London, and New York write what are called ‘crime scripts’ of common crimes. Simply put, the policemen put themselves in shoes of a criminal and write down a detailed step by step procedure in the commissioning of a crime. Thereafter, they concentrate on ‘script disruption’, where interventions at certain stages of the criminal’s actions prevent him for carrying out his criminal act. For instance: jails in Australia reported several cases of inmates scalding other prisoners with hot liquids. The solution came in the form of thermos flasks with narrow opening that did not allow liquids to be thrown at each other.""

"""

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Arming is no solution.. its like suggesting one pill for all ills. Even if society is educated there will still be perverts. In Indian context even if women are armed there are issues regarding regular practice, quality weapons.. also not all can afford even if licenses are liberally issued. Then questions are what about small childrens no matter what sex.

Social awareness, better policing (just before the unfortunate incident) another person was robbed of his belonging by the culprits and cops refused to take his complaint and he was rather questioned as to from where he got the cash he was robbed off. Only If the cops would have acted on his complaint and tracked the bus.

Some precautions have to taken by all and cannt leave every thing to "This is country capital" or "why cannt women go out alone at night." Lacs of women go out daily and return safely.

One can go on and on... but the solution lies in one word "Precaution"

Rgds,
Biren

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 pm

What happened to the poor lady in Delhi,is far more than rape.She was raped and then repeatedly punched before being thrown off a moving bus.I hope that the victim recovers both physically and mentally.I also wish for speedy justice for the perpetrators. By all accounts,they are going to get a speedy trial.However,I wish every victim in the country gets speedy justice.The way the criminal justice system is in India,it punishes the innocent and rewards the guilty.This encourages more crime.

People who have been awarded death penalty have been able to avoid it for years as a result of the President not willing to sully his/her hands with being the person responsible for the order that will hang them :roll:

However,I would caution against the demand for death penalty for rape.When the law on rape was written,it was mentioned that an allegation of rape is easy to level but difficult to disprove.The same would apply today as well.Moreover,death penalty might encourage the perpetrator/s to kill their victim as she(in some cases he) is the sole witness against him/them.

How about building another jail in Andamans and transporting rapists to it for life?

How about chemical castration for rapists?