Price check required for Maruti Gypsy King

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Price check required for Maruti Gypsy King

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:12 am

How can wheel hubs improve the fuel efficiency?
No idea. Ask your mechanic friend.
Was told that pre 2000 Gypsys had a carburetor while the ones that were manufactured after 2000 came with a fuel injector(Not sure if this is true).What does yours have?
This one has a carb. You could be right about the MPFI introduction date.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:53 am

Mack The Knife,
All pre 1990 model gypsies (before the King version that had a slightly wider footprint) were fitted with free wheeling hub locks which had to be activated manually with a 180 degree twist if you wanted to use the 4x4. This action connects/disconnects the wheel to the differential. The logic is that this action connects/disconnects the engine from the strain of moving the front differential (drive) and thus the assumption that a free wheeling hub saves on gas. My proof of this logic on my gypsy was that on occation that it had to be 'push-started', after disconnecting the front hub lock, even my wife could push it to a start! :P
jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Thanks Jonah but did you notice any increase in fuel efficency?

Pran, we are talking FREEwheel hubs not wheel hubs. Pay attention in future. ;)

Mack The Knife :mrgreen:

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:32 pm

Hello Mack The Knife.

To a certain extent yes, definitely! But fuel consumption is not a big thing here in this hill state. Getting from point A to point B safely is! By the way I dont know if seatbelts for the backbench on a Gypsy is a very good Idea! Its pseudo roll bar is made of flimsy pressed steel and is of no consequence in a rollover accident. But it could be useful for kids in case of minor collisions and bumps.

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks, Jonah.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:40 pm

Ah, missed the last bit on this thread - as to free wheeling hubs - NONE of the new WIDE-TRACK Gypsys can have free-wheeling hubs fitted. Without getting into details, the widened axles were not designed to have these fitted... This would mean any model post 1994 or so - as that is around the time they went wide wheelbase.

Since this would not be possible on your particular vehicle, it's really a moot point as to their benefits/ pitfalls - however, in the the interests of putting something here for future reference I'll bite! Free wheeling hubs offer the opportunity to "unlock" the front axle/ shaft, which basically means that when the 4WD is NOT engaged these need not rotate meaninglessly, thus increasing the load on the engine and thus consuming more fuel. Typically I have (on average) seen a reduction of fuel consumption to the tune of 1 Kmpl using this option...

Do keep in mind this is at the cost of having to manually step out and "lock" the hubs BEFORE you can engage 4WD - depending on the situation this can be really painful (think deep stinky muck)!!

Many overseas models offer automatic locking free-wheeling hubs, which removes this shortfall - but they were never offered on the Gypsy AND I don't know of any retrofit for this either.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:18 am

mundaire";p="21451 wrote:Ah, missed the last bit on this thread - as to free wheeling hubs - NONE of the new WIDE-TRACK Gypsys can have free-wheeling hubs fitted. Without getting into details, the widened axles were not designed to have these fitted... This would mean any model post 1994 or so - as that is around the time they went wide wheelbase.
Thanks, Abhijeet.

That's one more point ticked off the list.

If you are back, send me an SMS and I'll call as I won't be online very regularly for a couple of weeks and I want to know the status of the package. ;)

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:05 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="21458 wrote:If you are back, send me an SMS and I'll call as I won't be online very regularly for a couple of weeks and I want to know the status of the package. ;)

Mack The Knife
YHPM ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:36 pm

THE PACKAGE

What is in it????? Diamonds,gold,watches,electronic goods...?????? Sorry. I forgot that this is the age of liberalisation and all these things are now available in India.
The only field India is still in the golden age of 'License Raj' is the arms industry.So let me guess,knives/knife sharpening tools /slings/ cleaning rods and supplies/stock refinishing kits/checkering tools/gunsmiths tools/air gun/rifle/pistol/air gun pellets??????

penpusher

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:57 am

Congratulations on a good buy! I had great fun with my gypsy before I picked up a Bolero. My gypsy was a 96 model wide track MG410 and I had after market free wheel hubs fitted. In free wheel mode the steering was a lot easier to turn and mileage was upped by half a kilometre within city limits.

All the best with the new gaadi :wink:

GG

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:29 pm

GasramGandu";p="23545 wrote:Congratulations on a good buy! I had great fun with my gypsy before I picked up a Bolero.
Thanks.
My gypsy was a 96 model wide track MG410 and I had after market free wheel hubs fitted.
This is contrary to what Abhijeet is saying but could it be that the 1.3 litre version does not lend itself to this conversion?

Mack The Knife

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:35 pm

Hi Rusty,

I don't think there is any difference between the MG410 Wide track and the MG413 Kings hubs. As I mentioned it was an after market fitment and worked well for me. When I asked the chaps at maruti why the MG413 did not come with factory fitted hubs, they said it was due to cost cutting.

Cheers
Bops

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:40 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="23550 wrote: This is contrary to what Abhijeet is saying but could it be that the 1.3 litre version does not lend itself to this conversion?

Mack The Knife
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander... if it works on the wide-track MG410 it should work on the 1.3L king model as well - since both share the same mechanicals (except for the engine/ gearbox).

I'd be interested in knowing how the free wheeling hubs were fitted though (and which ones were used). My mechanic and I had taken apart the front axle of the wide-track MG410 with a view to fitting these, but the shaft inside the front axle was too short - it needs to stick out a few inches at each end for the free wheeling hubs to fit on. So we pretty much gave up the attempt.

Did you have the front axle shaft replaced with a longer one? If not then what was the "fix" employed?

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Abhijeet, the hubs were manufactured and fitted by an engineering company based off Hosur road just outside Bangalore. I had this work done five years ago and cannot re-collect the name of the company but it will come to me eventually :idea:

There was no extra work done for the hub fitting, I remember the chap taking out my old hub and fitting the new ones in. It was a drop fit, nothing extra was needed. It cost roughly Rs. 2800 for a pair of hubs.

Bops

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:59 pm

Okay, I managed to dig out the receipt for the free wheel hubs. Here are the address and contact details,

Gypsy Free wheeling hub (3A-157)

Lamda Components (P) Ltd
Shed No. B-101, Veerasandra Industrial Estate
Bangalore - 561229

Prototypes of Hydraulic Winches for MM540 with PTO have been
designed and developed by Lamda Components. Same can be inspected
and ordered at their Hosur Road Factory (ONLY ON MONDAYS).

Contact Subbaiah : 0807831078
Arun : 09343870011