Price check required for Maruti Gypsy King

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:15 pm

Vikram";p="21064 wrote:Somehow missed it.Cool looking car Mack The Knife.Congratulations.

Best-
Vikram
Thanks, Vikram.

Did you know that the soft top can collect water like a large shallow bucket? I didn't but I just found that out for myself this morning. :roll:

:mrgreen:

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:23 pm

Congratulations Rusty! The tread pattern on the tyres is more suitable for road/ sand than mud plugging, but I recall you mentioning you don't have much muddy terrain to cover so it should not matter... All in all that looks like a fine example indeed :)
Thanks, Abhijeet. At this time of the year (monsoons) there is a bit of wet mud but since I have not had a problem in the 800, these tyres should be fine. The mechanic reckons they are probably good for another 20,000 kilometers but I think I will change them after 5000 kms or so. Will pick your brains at that point of time.
Too bad about the shotty having to go... how about putting in some effort for sorting out the Browning's paperwork? It'll be well worth it! ;)
That's precisely what I plan on doing. One of our mutual friends in Delhi says he may be able to help.

Hope you are feeling better now and it wasn't anything serious.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:56 pm

The soft top does suffer from that problem, but all said and done it's a much better option (as compared to the hard top) - opens up a lot more possibilities... ;)

The good thing is (from the looks of it) the previous owner has not cut corners and replaced the top with an OEM one in stead of the much cheaper "local" type ones... The latter usually have very poor fit & finish and the fabric does not last as long...
Mack The Knife Bana";p="21077 wrote: That's precisely what I plan on doing. One of our mutual friends in Delhi says he may be able to help.

Hope you are feeling better now and it wasn't anything serious.

Mack The Knife
Awesome! :mrgreen: Let me know if I can help in any way.

Was just a case of blocked sinuses, nothing serious... but thanks for asking :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="21075 wrote:
Congrats on Gypsy and sad to hear about shotty batter
May I have the recipe? It should knock KFC into a cocked hat...amongst shooters atleast.

;) :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:05 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="21076 wrote:[Did you know that the soft top can collect water like a large shallow bucket?
Heard the water supply department's giving incentives to people who adopt rainwater harvesting.Time to claim yours :)

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:10 pm

The good thing is (from the looks of it) the previous owner has not cut corners and replaced the top with an OEM one in stead of the much cheaper "local" type ones... The latter usually have very poor fit & finish and the fabric does not last as long...
Well observed! Since this car is going to be parked outside, I was wondering if there is some sort of treatment for the soft top to keep it from aging faster. Would the silicone polish we use on platicky dashboards do the job?

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Price check required for Maruti Gypsy King

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:28 am

One thing that really infuriates me when having the car valeted is if they spray that shiny silicone muck on the dashboard ....... when you drive in the sun the dash is reflected in the windscreen so that you can`t see a thing !
Keep the road tyres on the car. It`s a rare 4x4 that does much off-roading and road tyres are quieter, have a softer, more comfortable ride, last longer and have better grip on asphalt/concrete than off-road tyres.
Why should a 9 year old car with only 48,000 km on it have had three batteries ? Our old Jeeps battery expired after 8 years and 110,00 miles - c.176,00km.
Nice looking vehicle Dodger......although it looks a heck of a lump to only have a 1.3 litre engine.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:27 am

Mack The Knife

"Batter" well recipe leaves a metallic taste..LOL meant to say "barter".

Again nice looking Gypsy - btw is it mandatory to have seat belts in cars in India?

Cheers

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:44 am

Grumpy,
Nice looking vehicle Dodger......although it looks a heck of a lump to only have a 1.3 litre engine.
In India you can not go very fast .110-120km's hr is about the max that you should be doing on the roads(with one or two exception.The Mumbai-Pune expressway being one).Any faster and you are a handshake away from the devil.What with pedestrians with a death wish,two wheeler drivers similarly inclined,tractor trolleys and over laden trucks with almost no brakes,slow moving bullock/ mule carts with no reflectors and which are thus invisible at night,truck and bus drivers who wish to play chicken with you, with the occasional elephant,camel,pig and the ever present stray cows thrown in. Rarely do you brake for stray dogs (for fear of causing an accident).

Indicators-"What are they".Head lights not working-"So what.When it's your time to go it's your time to go.It's all karma" .Break light are non-functional-"No big deal.Won't the other fellow notice a thing as big as a car".Brakes stopped functioning in the hills-"We were on a pilgrimage to Mata Chintpurni.We took the devis name and by her grace reached home safely" :lol:

A punny engine is a boon in India and no big deal.As it is,the Gypsy seems to be built of something slightly stronger than tin foil,so has very good powert to weight ratio.It however has a tendency to topple if turned sharply while at high speeds.It had failed the elk test and the version sold in other countries was slightly wider and shorter.

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:33 pm

One thing that really infuriates me when having the car valeted is if they spray that shiny silicone muck on the dashboard ....... when you drive in the sun the dash is reflected in the windscreen so that you can`t see a thing !
I know what you mean but in India it's better to have that if you don't want the dash to fade. The dash isn't too deep on this one though, so the problem you speak off should be minimal.
Keep the road tyres on the car.
Definitely. Had no intention of putting Mud & Snow tires.
Why should a 9 year old car with only 48,000 km on it have had three batteries ?
Thanks for the reminder. Must ask the previous owner if he had changed the battery and if so, how many times. Did give it a cursory check yesterday and the green light indicated that it was fine. I am not sure if batteries with the green and red lights were available in 1998 in India, so it is possible that it may have been changed. (My friend just called and the battery has indeed been changed as the original conked out one and a half years ago.)
Thanks Grumps. Was up into the wee hours giving it a wax polish as it will be kept outside and not in the basement. The 'lump' has already started annoying me in certain aspects - the reduced visibility at the rear, certain blind spots on the sides and last but not least the absence of power steering which makes taking U-turns in traffic. Here's hoping I get used to it fast.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:49 pm

ngrewal";p="21116 wrote:btw is it mandatory to have seat belts in cars in India?
Yes it is. This one has an aftermarket pair (as seen on most cars today) rather than those horrid one's that are adjusted via a buckle.

What I really want now are two belts at the back (for the children) when I put in the new bench (parallel to the front seats). Even a two point harness will do. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:53 pm

It however has a tendency to topple if turned sharply while at high speeds.It had failed the elk test and the version sold in other countries was slightly wider and shorter.
penpusher, I was doing a bit of online research and it turns out that this toppling business isn't all that we have been lead to believe it is.

Will look for the link again and post it here.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Here it is... http://www.suzukiclubuk.com/tippingzuki.html

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:18 pm

Great going Mack The Knife you wont regret it. Contrary to popular belief the Gypsy is not a gas guzzler and if maintained well will give you a constant 8-12 km/lt. I should know, I used to own a original suzuki engine gypsy for 12 years (It took me that long to drive it to the ground) During its last year (2004) Its 4x4 gearbox fell off while I was driving it and then on occation the half shaft would fall off every now and then.. but the engine kept on purring like a kitten.. Never failed to start on the first turn of the key.. sad that the body didnt last as long as the engine. sold it off for 20,000/- and there isnt a 4x4 made in india that gives you your moneys worth as much as the Gypsy does!

Want to exchange it for a 1 and a half year old maruti 800?

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:12 am

Great going Mack The Knife you wont regret it.
The damn thing is already being treated as some sort of family pet. The kids obviously love it but my wife who wouldn't be caught dead in my 800 seems to have taken a fancy to this and I have already been asked twice if she could drive it. I think I'll let her sweat and then swap it for her Opel. :mrgreen:

Whilst I don't exactly regret the buy, the spares parts, especially for the Gypsy King, is a bit of a concern.

I am one of those who dislike driving in a city but last night found me taking the old girl (the car, not the wife) for a spin. There is something very appealing about this bare bones vehicle but perhaps it's just novelty at this point of time.
Contrary to popular belief the Gypsy is not a gas guzzler and if maintained well will give you a constant 8-12 km/lt.
You may well be right. Even though it's still very early days the fuel indicator needle has barely budged since I filled her up some 50 odd kms ago. However, I must mention that I haven't even taken her beyond 60 kmph. BTW, that fuel cap was a real b**ch to unscrew and yes, it has been cleaned and lightly greased.

Incidentally, this Gypsy was never supplied with free wheel hubs. Can these be fitted to a Dec. 1998 model? I am told it improves the fuel efficency and something else that I cannot recall.
I used to own a original suzuki engine gypsy for 12 years (It took me that long to drive it to the ground) During its last year (2004) Its 4x4 gearbox fell off while I was driving it and then on occation the half shaft would fall off every now and then
This one is already nine years old but there is no trace of rust yet. Since I am not into mudplugging I don't see this one being put into 4WD very often. It was bought more for it's ground clearance, space at the rear, soft-top and price. What really contributes to a 4WD gear box falling off and what is a half shaft? Do cars usually rust more quickly in Mizoram?
Never failed to start on the first turn of the key
This one doesn't. The previous owner told me to use the choke when starting it first thing in the morning and he is right. However, for the remainder of the day, it will start on the first turn of the key.
Want to exchange it for a 1 and a half year old maruti 800?
Not yet. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:11 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="21281 wrote: Incidentally, this Gypsy was never supplied with free wheel hubs. I am told it improves the fuel efficency and something else that I cannot recall.
WHAT? :?: :?:

How can wheel hubs improve the fuel efficiency?

The previous owner told me to use the choke when starting it first thing in the morning and he is right. However, for the remainder of the day, it will start on the first turn of the key.
It's always nice to have a leaner air-petrol mixture.

Was told that pre 2000 Gypsys had a carburetor while the ones that were manufactured after 2000 came with a fuel injector(Not sure if this is true).What does yours have?

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."