Price check required for Maruti Gypsy King

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Price check required for Maruti Gypsy King

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon May 28, 2007 12:26 pm

What should be a realistic buying price for a 1998 Gypsy King (soft top) that has done 48,000 kms, single owner from new and in good working condition?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: The catalytic converter has been removed. Not sure if this has a bearing on the price but mentioning it all the same.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Price check required for Maruti Gypsy King

Post by Risala » Mon May 28, 2007 1:28 pm

Rusty,
Should not be more than 50 K,and that if it is in good condition.
Sanjay

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon May 28, 2007 2:08 pm

Mack The Knife, If you don't want to pick that gypsy up please do let me know :-)
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon May 28, 2007 4:24 pm

Mack The Knife,
Do ask Lalit(remember giving you his number).

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon May 28, 2007 4:30 pm

Sanjay";p="20610 wrote:Rusty,
Should not be more than 50 K,and that if it is in good condition.
Sanjay
Sanjay,

Is that generally what they go for or is the 50k price tag based on a one-off deal you may have heard off?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon May 28, 2007 4:32 pm

Pran,

Do me a favour and talk to Lalit and let me know what he has to say.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Mon May 28, 2007 5:27 pm

Rusty

Checked the prices from a dealer with whom I have been dealing with for the last 10 plus yrs,he has bought all the cars that I have used over the years.
Even if you were to calculate the WDV for a new Gypsy bought in 98 it would come to around 50 K or less.
But note that prices in Delhi are lower than in Karnataka cause of the entry tax.
The actual price would eventually be determined by the condition of the veh,but 50 plus minus 5 should be tops.

PS finally got the purchase period endorsed today for the Shotty. :D
Now the search begins.

Best

Sanjay

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Mon May 28, 2007 5:46 pm

Mack The Knife,

You have not mentioned the tyre condition and the battery condition. I take it that the tyres were changed at around 40-45 k , if not the price takes a dip. This must be around the third battery that the vehicle has had. Any accident/major body work history? The price should be 50+/- 5 k.

regards,

RP.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon May 28, 2007 7:08 pm

Sanjay, thanks for the call.

Rakesh, I haven't seen the vehicle yet, so cannot comment about the battery or tyres yet. A friend of was interested in buying one and checked this out and told me about it when he decided to stick with his Scorpio.

The vehicle is currently owned by a friend of mine who is well known for taking great care of all his things. This is what attracts me the most as I know he wouldn't have abused the vehicle even when taking it outdoors for fishing trips.

The vehicle has not had an accident and the paint work is still original. The only change is to the soft top which had to be replaced.

Thanks for the reply.

Mack The Knife

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Mon May 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Mack The Knife if you can get a 1998 Gypsy king for 50K its a bargain. Make sure the 4X drive gear and differential are working though! Most gypsy owners in the plains do away with the frontwheel drive gear and halfshaft to get the extra mileage.. I personally favour the model with the front wheel hub lock although its a nag.

I would take it even for 75000/- if it is in good condition. Go for it! time to get outta that drab maruti 800 :) its too small for you if you havent realised it.

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon May 28, 2007 11:42 pm

jonahpach";p="20628 wrote:Mack The Knife if you can get a 1998 Gypsy king for 50K its a bargain. Make sure the 4X drive gear and differential are working though! Most gypsy owners in the plains do away with the frontwheel drive gear and halfshaft to get the extra mileage.. I personally favour the model with the front wheel hub lock although its a nag.

I would take it even for 75000/- if it is in good condition. Go for it! time to get outta that drab maruti 800 :) its too small for you if you havent realised it.

Jonah
I think this post will only be of academic interest now as I was given a hint that the asking price may be between 1.75 and 2.5 lakhs.

So whether I like it or not my old faithful will have to continue doing duty on and off the road. Perhaps I should give you a taste of what the 800 is capable of off-road and you may just change your opinion about its capabilities. ;)

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Tue May 29, 2007 7:46 am

1.75 - 2.5 is the going rate for a gypsy in very good condition in Mizoram these days. Of course Mizoram is chock full of Maruti Gypsys and the government just disinvested a couple of 100 gypsys just last year. Am myself on the lookout for one these days and if sanjay and the rest of the gang can get me a '98 gypsy in good condition for 50K I'll gladly give them a bonus of 20K.

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue May 29, 2007 3:11 pm

Mack The Knife,

1.75 - 2.25 L is too steep. Ever pondered about an old army disposal with a good diesel engine? The fun you will have putting it together will be really something.

regards,

RP

PS- The name is Rajesh :)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue May 29, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi Rajesh and apologies for using the wrong name.

There are obviously two schools of opinion where the price is concerned. Having looked at quite a few used car websites, it appears that a Gypsy in good condition simply cannot be found for 50 to 55k. BTW, when I say good condition I mean just that. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in excellent condition (it certainly looked so when I last saw it in December 2005) but I'd rather not use that term until I see the vehicle for myself.

Abhijeet, what do you think this Gypsy should cost?

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue May 29, 2007 6:01 pm

Mack The Knife,

Keep in mind the fact that all said and done this is a 9 year old vehicle. Gypsy's (even well kept ones) do also tend to rust quickly unless they have a regular underbelly coat of anti-rust "rubber sealing" done. If seriously considering buying - please take this vehicle to a service station, get it on a hydraulic lift and have it's underbelly power washed prior to a close examination for rust.

That said, this is a "King" which means it has the 1.3 litre engine as opposed to the older sub-1 litre engine. Even though still a tad underpowered, this is certainly a much better engine compared to its predecessor.

Unfortunately by the time the "King" model came out, the Gypsy had already begun to be shunned by civilian buyers - except for those (very few) who were willing to compromise on comfort and fuel economy in favour of it's decent off road capabilities. This basically means that very few privately owned examples make it to the second hand market, and fewer still are in good shape.

The government remains the main buyer for Gypsys - but ex-govt. vehicles should be avoided unless one "knows someone", who can "arrange" a good deal (not unheard of).

All said the prices quoted by other members do seem to be on the lower side... I would consider 1 to 1.25 lacs to be a more realistic price for a Gypsy of this vintage (in good nick), add a bit more for the fact that it is a "King" model.

Of course this is simply my opinion - I have not done a survey of second hand prices, but if you can hang on till I get back, I'll consult my mechanic - he's usually an excellent source for (fairly accurate) 2nd hand prices...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein