Abhijeet's visit

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue May 29, 2007 2:01 pm

Guys thank you for the (rather flattering) good words :oops:

May I take this opportunity to thank Vikram for his hospitality, he is indeed a very generous and gracious host - making one feel instantly at home and taking care to quickly rid one of any awkwardness one might feel - a real gent indeed! :)

The trip to the range and trying out sporting clays was a very humbling experience (as reflected in the scores) - it completely underscores just how much more there is to learn. Vikram was a little unhappy with the club gun they provided, but I was quick to remind him that even that beat up Miroku would be a treasure back home! About my shooting position, for the first few shots I completely forgot to "wind up" properly etc. - been 12 years since I was at any kind of clays range... but I've found out about a couple of more ranges close to London and intend to try out sporting clays a few more times before I fly back home - it's surely an addictive sport!

The trip to the shooting club was also interesting in that - being non-members and not even having a shotgun certificate, we were happily handed over ammunition and allowed to shoot - something that would be impossible back in India. Also, the price of each round and the ammunition was very reasonable - Vikram tells me one can purchase 1000 shotshells for around GBP 80, which is approx INR 6.7 or so per cartridge!! :shock: Keep in mind this is not crappy IOFB made KF ammo :evil:

Rusty - I intend to try and zero the original scope today and shoot some groups... will post the groups here.

Yep, been tanking up on the ales - that's another thing one misses back home, making the most of it... ;) Sujay the leanness is simply inherited, afraid I cannot claim much credit there :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue May 29, 2007 2:29 pm

mundaire";p="20648 wrote:Rusty - I intend to try and zero the original scope today and shoot some groups... will post the groups here.
Make one of those groups a 10 shot group at 10 metres. If your zero isn't spot on at that range it is actually a blessing as you wont shoot out your aiming mark.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Re: Abhijeet's visit

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue May 29, 2007 9:17 pm

Abhijeet,

This is OT but after Eley opened a huge ammunition plant in Pakistan, I heard that they wanted to sell shotshells and 22 ammo in India but were turned down. A terribly sad thing as the ammo would have been very useful for our match shooters and would have been cheap to boot!

Over here we pay $ 2.75 for 25 Federal competition shotshells at my club for members and $ 3.25 for non members. Comparable to the UK, no doubt, though tthe US is more a country of riflemen while the UK is one of shotgunners.

Cheers!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Abhijeet's visit

Post by Grumpy » Wed May 30, 2007 8:07 am

Mehul, many Rigby Mauser stocks had cheekpieces - but not ones that rolled over the comb and those that didn`t were invariably cast to suit the owner...... which pretty well amounts to the same thing.
Yes, the muzzle flips more with the English style stock but that does little to negate the perceived recoil ...... in fact the perceived recoil is dramatically accentuated because of the muzzle lift. The only thing worst was the old American lever action stocks which had a phenomenal drop to the heel and which make even the recoil from a puny 30-30 seem excessive. The other disadvantage with both types of course is that a rapid second shot is impossible.
I have to admit to a personal bias against those Rigby style stocks because of a physical problem with them ........ an obvious one if you think about it. I wouldn`t even consider a stock design that noticably lifts the muzzle so stick with the American, Monte Carlo and modified Bavarian stocks.
Neither of us like them but the Bavarian style stock is almost certainly the best for shotgun style handling with iron sights because that`s what they were designed for.
You might remember that I told you recently about the new CZ 527 Hunter stock which is designed for professional hunters. I don`t really understand the design - which looks bizarre to me - but there`s no doubting the excellent ergonomics. These pictures ( and the commentary ) are from the CZ website:

"Ergonomically shaped pistol grip allows outstanding handling properties, New cheekpiece design for comfortable aim, New and revolutionary type of stock intended for intuitive shooting and operation"

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:52 pm

i agree abhijeet is a thorough gentleman, and the beer does run out fast when hes around.
nice pics vikram.
hope to see our pics shooting together soon.
in case u plan to come down to london, gimme a shout.
will fix something up.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.