BSA motorcycles

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: BSA motorcycles

Post by xl_target » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:18 am

Well lets get this IFG meet at Mark's place done with and we can talk about plans for further meets.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:47 am

Baby steps, baby steps - sounds logical xl_target - Ji; Let's take it from there then :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Kalyan,

That looks so cool. Did you give it a proper spin?

Baljit,

Your bullet is kept in spotless condition and looks very nice.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:52 am

Thank you very much Vikram,yes indeed very well kept.

Baljit

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi,

Does anyone on this forum own a BSA Bantam or know of any place where I can get parts for a 125 cc model.

Thanks.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Vikram wrote:Kalyan,

That looks so cool. Did you give it a proper spin?
Baljit,
Your bullet is kept in spotless condition and looks very nice.
Best-
Vikram
Sorry Vikram, I seemed to have missed that note of yours :( Thanks!

Sure, I did a good, substantial ride on it - thinking of letting the beast out a few more times before summer truly ends and the chill sets in. :cheers:

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:42 pm

miroflex wrote:Hi,

Does anyone on this forum own a BSA Bantam or know of any place where I can get parts for a 125 cc model.

Thanks.
Hi miroflex

You could check out these links for spares for the 'flying flea'

http://bantamspares.webs.com/enginesparespricelist.htm and

http://www.mistgreen.com/spares.htm

all of them seem to be in the UK though! :(

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:46 am

ckkalyan:
I would still agree with the journalist from long ago who said (roughly) that "Harleys are over-priced, under-powered lifestyle icons" So, where is all this hype coming from???
I have a 1956 Harley Davidson K Model. I can recall when there were not that many HDs on the road. We were few and far between. Most people rode Hondas, then there were Yamaha riders, then a smattering of Kawasakis and Suzukis. BMW riders were a small group unto themselves, and only rarely did one see a Moto Guzzi or Ducati. There were British bikes, usually Triumph and sometimes BSA. Rarely, one would encounter a Norton and even more rarely, a Royal Enfield. British bikes were about as common as Suzukis or Kawasakis; their day was done by the early 70s.

From my generation, Corvettes were the cool car to have (I have never cared for them) and HDs had a lot of image, usually negative with most folks. Now, all of us are old and starting to retire. Many want to recapture those days and so they get a HD, maybe a Corvette, and if they are rich, a trophy wife to go along with it.

It is all about image. I always liked my K Model Harley. It is what Sportsters were, before they got overhead valves and became Sportsters. In the 60s, the flathead Harleys competed at 750ccs with 500cc British Triumphs and BSAs on our motorcycle racing circuit. Underpowered on the street when they faced the 650cc Triumphs, BSAs, and 750cc Nortons, Harley stroked the K to become the KH in 1954 to become the 901cc KH, which is what I have. In 1957, they got overhead valves and were reduced to 883ccs, and were fairly untouchable on American roads unless some lucky fellow imported a Vincent Black Shadow, or some such thing.

Many Harley riders here in the USA look like maggots on the road, but when they get home, they put on their suits and ties and become lawyers, doctors, or captains of industry. Back when I was young, such people were called "posers," but now assuming a different lifestyle is considered chic.

Each to their own, I guess.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Dear CK Kalyan,

Thank you very much for providing links to websites selling BSA Bantam spare parts. I will follow them up.

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Well I did have a RE Machismo circa 97. Then bought the RE Thunderbird TwinSpark recently. The second one did not really have the British Character, as a matter of fact any Character.

Then about a Year back I went for a leap and got myself a Harley Sportster. Once I had the Harley I realized it was no fun on the single thumpers and sold both of them.

Any Bad Boys with Harleys here?

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Nice bikes. Not trying to put you down guys but I dont see a single BSA anywhere..
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:19 pm

jonahpach wrote:Nice bikes. Not trying to put you down guys but I dont see a single BSA anywhere..

Dear Jonah,

I agree with you and will try to redress the balance by posting pictures of my BSAs. This may take some time as I am in Allahabad while most of my bikes are in Dehradun.

I have two BSAs in Allahabad. One is a 350 cc 4-stroke model B31 with swinging arm rear suspension and the other is a 125 cc model Bantam D1 with plunger rear suspension. Both are in the process of being restored. To post pictures of the disassembled parts may not convey much to most fellow members. Once the restoration is complete I will post pictures.

I hope more BSA owners will also come forward meanwhile.

Regards.
Last edited by miroflex on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri May 03, 2013 12:34 am

How did i miss this? Riding an RD 350 is like sitting on a mad tiger.Only bike here that power wheelies.Too bad the spares are non-existent, even in places like Bangalore and Mysore.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

wingsoffires66
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by wingsoffires66 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:40 am

This thread is quite old but i have some stuff to add here.
Started on a bicycle, and caught between 2 wheels since then.Pretty much screwed my academics due these machines.Most cases I ended up sitting besides and running for bikes than running a bike altogether.But whenever I did ride, It feels like I touched the sky.I was coaxed into dirt racing by my friend but couldnt continue as i had had a hard time setting up my FOR SALE bikes .Someday soon I will take the track again.
Not much of a 'click and post' guy but i might have pictures of atleast 1/3 of the following i owned:

current:
Yamaha rx 135 5 speed 2001 [first bike was a mom's gift , still have it.will take it to the grave]
enfield 1979 [all original collectors item, not my taste will sell it probably]
HERO HONDA CD 100 1998[Late grandpa's ride]
honda activa 2008

Esteem 1.3 MPFI 2007

Sold
ENFIELDS :1971,1973,1981,1986,1987 ,1993....and more
Yamahas
rx 100/135 :more than 10 for sure
RXZ 135 5 speed 2003 totally perfect ,I do regret selling this.
yamaha Ybx
CD dawn: 2001, 2001,2003,2003
how do i post pictures?
seenay mein hain chingariyaan , thodasa barood bhartey hain......

Girte hain Shahi sawar maidaan-e-jung mein, woh kya girenge jo ghutno pe chala kartey hain

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:34 pm

One of them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.