BSA motorcycles

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

BSA motorcycles

Post by miroflex » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi,

Are there any motorcycle enthusiasts in this forum? I ask because I have collected a few motorcycles including some BSAs. These range from a 125 cc Bantam to a 650 cc Golden Flash. I would love to hear from other owners of British motorcycles, particularly BSAs.

Regards.
Last edited by miroflex on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: BSA motorcycles

Post by jonahpach » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:20 pm

If you got it, flaunt it.. Pictures please
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:13 pm

I too am a motorcycle enthusiast and love to restore them myself. you have a good collection going on there, would like to get my hands on a shooting star....but the prices have sky rocketed. I have a Yamaha RD350 this is the third one i have owned and a Honda CB250N superdream.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm

friend,
i am mad about bikes especially rd 350.i own one since 1984 ,at present i am restoring the machine.i am on rd dreams forum too.
i had a chance to use few bsa's when studing,but never owned any except a 1952 bullet.nice to know some like minds in this forum.
regards
dr.jk

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:19 pm

I have four but I'm afraid my tastes run to a bygone era. From the age of the "sit-up-straight" UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) my tastes haven't progressed to more modern crotch rockets.

Well, only three of them are classified as motorcycles. One is a Moped; the Honda PA50 pedal moped.

One of them is a Honda Cub (70 cc - actually just a glorified moped too)
I will be getting rid of the above two in the near future as they are just gathering dust in my garage.

Of my other two, one is a 1982 Honda CM450A (automatic transmission) which is rather rare. I bought it from a little old lady who hardly ever rode it. It has less than 9000 miles on it.

The last one is a 1981 Yamaha XS1100. It is the last of the air cooled super bikes. This was "the Bike to have" when I was in college. When it came out, it was the world's most powerful production bike. I told myself that I would have one, one day. Rather dated now, it is still a powerful, stable, smooth ride and actually handles very well with the addition of a fork stabilizer. From zero to about 55mph, it will walk away from a lot of today's bikes as the inline four cylinder puts out a huge amount of torque. Unfortunately, it was made in an age when gas was cheap and my six cylinder car gets better gas mileage than it.
It also might be that it is so tempting to crack the throttle open on this bike that it will never get a chance to show any kind of gas economy :).

The Yamaha images are from here

I just wish that I had time to ride more.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Great motorcycles XL.... I bought a second hand Rajdoot Yamaha 350 when I had just started to work.. It was a monster. Spares and running cost used to gorge into my paltry first salary... sold it and bought a Maruti 800.. Stuck to four wheels since then... But I love bikes.. keep posting guys

Cheers

TC

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:20 pm

xl_target wrote:
Of my other two, one is a 1982 Honda CM450A (automatic transmission) which is rather rare. I bought it from a little old lady who hardly ever rode it. It has less than 9000 miles on it.

I sold this one a couple years ago, it was a CM250 and your pic above made me think of these pics:

I took the backrest and carrier off when I sold it:

Right now I have a XL 125 basket case project that I am going to put a 200CC china motor in to, hoping to get it running before winter!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:36 pm

good one.........

I m also nut about motorcycles , particularly old British made,

when i was in college i dream about almost every night, :( sad that time I could not afford any of them,

now I have settled down with 1958 British made bullet 350( will post pics. soon), got it restored with little modification....
ridding once a while on Sunday evening with my kids.....they feels proud sitting on fuel tank

regards

pritam
"Men like us don't deserve to die in the bed, field would be a batter option"

Optional : Proper inglish n gramer

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:09 am

An acquaintance of mine has this Royal Enfield that got the Cafe make over, I thought it was a nice job:

"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 am

Nice bikes there,gents.

XL, I like your Yamaha.I really do.

Mark,

I notice that your friend has the correct muffler on. :wink:

I am not much into sportbike kinda motorcycles.Retro-style is what really appeals to me.

Top on my wishlist is the Yamaha V-Max.

Triumphs,Harleys, Yamaha Royal Stars-Dream on :twisted:

My loyal steed for ages now-

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:19 am

Mark, Those 250's were great little bikes to tool around on.
Vikram, the VMax was a monster in it's day. It's amazing that they are still making it after all these years.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

rraju2805
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by rraju2805 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:11 am

My uncle had a royal enfield motocycle.

When i was small, i dream that one day i will drive it.
:P
YOU CAN FOOL SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOMETIME
BUT YOU CAN"T FOOL ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL TIME

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:32 am

Nice bikes guys......here are the pics of my cb250n which i restored, due to time constraints it took some time. I am posting before and after pics. This is when i started appreaciating honda techonology and the solidly built bullet proof engine....though the caliber of the bullet is too small and lacks magnum power...apart from that it is extreamly reliable, had fun and a number of sleepless nights working on it.
Had to completely rebuild the engine and complete paint work.
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z36 ... C00063.jpg
when i bought it, it was in a mess and my nephew was constantly saying looks like trouble. :D
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z36 ... C00111.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z36 ... C00112.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z36 ... s/Tank.jpg
These are the intial parts that i started painting.....engine covers.
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z36 ... C00125.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z36 ... C00213.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z36 ... C00215.jpg
Please ignore the W124, it has been repainted now to a steel grey colour. The Rd is still under restoration, i hope i get time to work on it before the maid stars throwing parts in the bin.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Nice restoration work Bro

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:11 pm

WOW! Nice thread gentlemen, count me in as 'born biker'! I use cars simply cos' of the have to factor; given the choice, I would ride all the time on two wheels :D

I am another of the Yamaha RD 350 fans while I was in India - what a beauty!

Lovely bikes there - thanks for sharing images; xl_target, pritu79, Vikram, Mark. Would love to try XL's Yamaha 1100 - ultimate wet dream! :lol:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!