The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World

Post by Mark » Sun May 06, 2007 2:26 pm

This is an old item, but it still impresses me!

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

best to click on the link, I thought about linking it to here but it's kinda unwieldy.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun May 06, 2007 2:40 pm

That's just what I need for my coracle. :mrgreen:

Do they take plastic?

Mack The Knife

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World

Post by Pran » Mon May 07, 2007 3:16 pm

Nice link Mark.Hadn't heard of a two stroke diesel engine before.

btw, started work on your diesel bike?

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat May 19, 2007 6:03 am

I have a motor arriving on Monday(5/21). Once it gets here I'll decide if it will work or not, I won't really know until I remove all the unnecessary stuff on it.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat May 19, 2007 8:48 am

Mark,
That's great.Would like to see some pics once you're started.

This reminds me of the bike project I and my friends have conceived but is yet to start off.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun May 20, 2007 6:30 am

2 stroke diesels are more common than you'd think.

An interesting issue that can happen to some designs is they can actually start and run in reverse! I think it was the detroit 60 series diesels that when you started them, you'd keep an eye on the oil pressure guage and if you didn't get oil pressure in 15 seconds or so you'd turn it off, as it meant the engine was running in reverse! They stopped making those 20 or so years ago I believe, and I never drove one much to have had it actually happen to me or anyone else I knew.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sun May 20, 2007 8:23 am

Mark,
I've heard of Enfield Taurus running reverse.Sounds scary to have a bike that may run backwards!

Guess, we should stop this discussion here and stop boring the others in the forum :-)

Pran