Is Srinagar safe to visit?

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Is Srinagar safe to visit?

Post by sat » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:19 pm

There is a possibility that a friend & I (a german photographer) might drive in June from srinagar to kargil, zanskar valley, lahaul spiti, Manali & Delhi. 5 weeks. Not rushing it, since its a photography trip.

My german friend knows India well, he has been visiting India every year since 78. Has self driven over a 100, 000 km in India.

What do you feel? Is srinagar safe?

sat

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Is Srinagar safe to visit?

Post by penpusher » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Sat,

If you start your journey in reverse ie from Delhi to Manali and then on to Leh and kargil,you can return to Leh and then fly back to Delhi.This way you can give Srinagar a miss.Tourists,including local ones have become targets of the ******* running around in the valley and surrounding areas,in the past. Discretion is the better part of valour.

penpusher

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Is Srinagar safe to visit?

Post by sat » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks penpusher,

If all goes as planned my german friend is driving from delhi to srinagar, spending a month there, he has done this several times & is comfortable doing this. I would catch up with him in srinagar to carry on with the rest of the trip.

sat