The roof is coming crashing down

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

The roof is coming crashing down

Post by Vikram » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:07 am

Forgive me for bringing this outrageously OT topic.But, got to share with you as I cannot do anything else. An hour and half back, around 4'o clock in the morning, my flatmate came screaming “come on, come on, oh please come one”. I slipping into slumber came to life with a sudden start. He accidentally knocked over the WC water tank in the toilet on the top floor.The water jet so powerful, it completely drenched him who tried to stall it. The kitchen roof located exactly beneath the toilet started to leak steadily. Water water every where and my friend’s panic filled swearing rose with the rising flood. I tried to locate the water supply valve in vain. Tried searching the dark store rooms behind the house with a lighter, the front of house, under the kitchen sink and everywhere else. We failed to stem the torrents. Finally I called the fire service. All this time my friend kept on trying to explain what has happened and how it was not his fault. Finally I located the supply valve hidden under the kitchen cabinet and cut it off a minute before the fire brigade arrived. The firemen, evidently sleepy and straight out of their sleep, enquired about what happened. They then proceeded to poke holes in the roof to drain the water, cut off the power to the bulb that stayed miraculously alight despite water streaming down its connection, mopped the floor etc. They very politely declined the offer of a cup of tea. They left a while ago with suggestions about replacing the roof etc. All the wail the fire engine stood running in the street that surely must have awakened the whole street.We need to wait until the morning to replace the water tank. Until then we cannot drink water neither can even we piss. And the kitchen roof is falling off in peace meal installments. I am awake, we are awake thinking how to explain the situation to our land lord, a university professor, who lives in Leicester. Probably we will get kicked out. My eyes are burning like lamps and I cannot sleep. I am trying to control my hysterical laughter. Only controlling for the sake of my friend. Ooper wale ne poora chat ko phaad diya.Patha naheen kya dene wala hai. :lol: :lol: :lol: Awaiting for the dawn.

Best-
Vikram
Last edited by Vikram on Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:11 am

I hope this is not for real 8) scary... take care mate!
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:26 am

Very real,Jefe.Very real.

Thanks.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:33 am

HO, best thing is get yourself a cuppa -tea/coffee, something and curl up and sleep.Pee in the garden with the rest of the trolls.HAve a good laugh and let the damn stress out .
TAke care Vikram.Can only offer you words-Mi casa es tu casa.

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:33 am

Woah! :shock: Sounds like you had some night Vikram! I hope your landlord has some kind of insurance that will cover the damage... even so can see him being quite upset...

Wish you luck with him and/ or finding new digs! I guess a reference from him might not be forthcoming... ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The roof is coming crashing down

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:40 am

Isn't there a water shutoff at the base of the toilet? that is usually the practice here is the states

If you can keep this supply turned off, or even a pipe cap over the end, and then you can use the toilet and just fill a pot of water from the bathtub to flush it with.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:42 am

In fact,everything looks outrageously funny.The rush and my generally very composed flat mate.He joined me just a couple of weeks back.LOL.I am still giggling surreptitiously.First thing I will do is to get a new tank and fix it.

Best-
Vikram

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:43 am

On the other hand, going without a toilet is a small price to pay for having a hell of a story to tell for years and years to come!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:45 am

Hi Mark, Thanks. The water valve under the kitchen cabinet controls the entire water supply to the house.There are no other valves.The tank in fact fell off the wall and the connecting pipe is broken.Cannot even be fixed.Needs to be replaced.Thanks for trying to help.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:46 am

Is the old tank broken, or did the 2 (usually brass) mounting bolts just shear?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:51 am

The bolts came off broken.Very rusty and probably a century old.LOl.The plastic pipe that is connected to the water pipe is broken.And yes, a story to tell!

shahid

Post by shahid » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:13 pm

Now here, is all this connected with shooting sports ? Do posts like this not waste bandwidth and storage space ?

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:56 pm

shooting water is a sport...oh you are banned...so sorry ...tee heee hee ;-)

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:10 pm

Vikram
One can understand what you are going through.
A few days of moving into our new into our new apt,the fire saftey pipe outside the flat gave way.It had a 4 " delivery,such was the pressure it flooded the whole place in a matter of mins.
It took us a a day or 2 to get back to a normal routine,fortunately the wodden flooring in the bed rooms was spared.
It took a couple of weeks for the lifts in the block to be set right.
Good luck and take care.
Thanks
Sanjay

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Vikram
A sure fire method is to stuff a cloth rag -into the bleeder-sorry, leaker.and get used to the mind numbing drip.Double entendre intended...;)