which compact flashlights (AA batt) to buy from US.

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

which compact flashlights (AA batt) to buy from US.

Post by sat » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:15 pm

Hello,

Could you suggest some good quality compact flashlight which run on 1 and 2 AA batt (alkaline, NiMH).

Where I live we have power outage or failure everyday. I would carry it everday in a belt pouch or if it had a clip.

Some flashlight that I have found on a google search are the

Inova X1 UV - $ 30 url - inova flashlight info

Fenix L1D CE - $ 53
url..

Gerber Infinity ULTRA-M - $31

Any suggestion would be welcome...

sat

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: which compact flashlights (AA batt) to buy from US.

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:26 pm

Hi Sat,

You can get some good reviews from here. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/review ... single.htm

HTH

-Inder

PS:Thanks to Mack The Knife for pointing towards this link when I was looking for a head lamp.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:30 pm

Sat,
Without doubt Maglite.It s perhaps the most reliable and respected name.
Pick it up from Cosco where it is probably discounted.
For around $ 25 you will get one 4 Cell Flash light plus one pocket edition.
Sanjay

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:41 pm

thanks inder, excellent url...

which headlamp did you like, I have not decided which one to purchase.. quite like the

petzl myo 3

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:57 pm

Glaad you liked it BTW kudos goes to Rusty.. :)

I ordered Princeton Tec EOS from cabelas. Its light, got good ratings and already used an recommended by Rusty and above all it was in my price range. thats why ordered it. Take a look at Petzl Tikka XP also.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:58 pm

sanjay,

I do have several maglites from 1AAA to the 5D version.
I forgot to mention that I would prefer a compact flashlight with the on/off button in the tail cap. imho much easier to put on the flashlight in winter with gloves on.

sat

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:15 pm

What's your budget, lambu?

Switch to LED preferably Luxeon and so forth. Otherwise like me you will end up paying $17.00 for just a bulb. :roll:

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:19 pm

Inder,

If you really want to become a flashaholic join Candlepower forum. There you can read about real cutting edge stuff.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:38 pm

Without doubt Maglite.It s perhaps the most reliable and respected name.
Sanjay,

There have been far better flashlights than the Maglites for quite some time now.

They are reasonably reliable but only respected amongst those who don't know better. This is not meant as a put down so please do not misunderstand me. As a company Maglite isn't highly thought off as it has a history of suing the competition, especially smaller companies.

Have a look through the link posted by Inder and spend an hour or two on Candlepower forum. Posts can get very technical but even laymen like me learn a bit here and there.

Incidentally, if you ever want to get another Maglite, go for one of their LED series. They were introduced sometime in September 2006, if I recall correctly, and should be available in India now.

The Indian distributor for Maglite used to be and probably still is:

Mr. Jehangir Khambatta,
Frontline Impex Pvt. Ltd.,
H-11, 9th Floor,
Everest Chambers, Tardeo Road,
Mumbai - 400 034.

Tel.: 022-56626209

E-mail: [email protected]

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:45 pm

[/quote]What's your budget, lambu?[quote]

Hey Golu Mack The Knife,

No problem with the budget. Though I do not think I need something with specs like the LongBow ECO 8310, Olive DrabTwisty Tailcap, 2 AA $85

Waterproof to 250 feet
Survives a 65.6 foot drop-test
Emits 20.7 lumens of white light

sat :wink:

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:56 pm

I got the bulb of my mini maglite as well as my 4 cell Maglite replaced with LED system. It works beautifully for all my needs and is very easy on cells. IMHO, LED is the way to go for general purpose and go along with xenon and lithium lites for special tasks.
Marksman

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:17 pm

Lumboo,

My headlamp puts out more light than that. :mrgreen:

Hang on, will go through what's new and get back to you. You could also call Bops. He's gone big time into flashlights and orders quite a bit from China. Value for money stuff as well.

Golu

huntergill
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by huntergill » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:01 am

Hi Sat,
Try Innova Xo3,82 lumens,250' line of visibillity, aircraft allumminium, a little bigger than the X1. I bought it from Fry,s store for $ 55 US, very happy with the results. It takes different batteries though.

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:58 pm

Try Innova Xo3,82 lumens,250' line of visibillity
Hi,
Good flashlight but I would have a problem purchasing the batt where I live.

sat

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:41 pm

Sat,

Those Inova X1's are nice little lights! (I think that is the model, the one that runs on one AA battery) They work very nice for in the house, I use one here when I need to get something out of the bedroom when my wife is sleeping and don't wish to turn on the lights. Mine is white, they have several other colors but whte I can read with and it does not change the colors which I find very annoying. If you use this outside for walking, then a defense can be made for green ones, the green LEDs are more efficient than the white ones and they do not disturb your night vision either.

I also have a small photon light in green (the only green light I have and I traded for it, I wouldn't have bought it) but it works quite well for something the size of a quarter. I've had it maybe 4 years now and it is still on the original battery. Image

These are nice for an extra light, the problem I have is it is so small I'm always loosing it it takes me a couple weeks to find it again. The Inova is big enough to keep track of.

Also, the inova you have illustrated in the pic is a "UV" model. This has an ultra violet LED that you apparently can't see that well, sort of like a "black light" I believe. They are being marketed here because apparently scorpions and the like will glow under UV, so if you have scorpions there (THANKFULLY WE DON'T HERE!) one of these might be usefull but if you don't have scorpions I imagine they are somewhat useless.

The AA flashlight that I would recommend is called the Streamlight "Twin Task" . It has 2 different bulb choices, a xenon bulb and 2 LED's. the LEDs work fine and the xenon bulb will light stuff up 100 feet or so away. Plus they last a while on LED's, and in addition if the batteries go dead enough the xenon bulb doesn't work it will still provide enough light with the LED's to work. They come in several sizes but I just looked and it seems they only carry the 3AA and larger models now, I thought they ued to make a 2AA one. If you want something to help you get around and also be able to light up the back of the garden or whatever they are nice.

Like Mack The Knife, I can't really recommend Mag Light brands as being the best of the best like they used to be. All the big ones I have anymore, the 3 and 4 D cell models, I've put LED bulbs in. They aren't that bright at all but work fine withing 20-30 feet and the batteries last several years that way.

My problem is my kids grab my various lights and I won't see them for a few months until I have to move a couch or clean out a cabinet or something. I swear to god I have close to 25 flashlights (I know it is over 20!) and I can only find about 7 of them! I have 2 handheld rechargeable spotlights and I haven't been able to find one of the 2 in about a month. Where in the heck can a large yellow spotlight go? Anyway, I'm probably never going to buy a surefire for that reason.

Also, I'd strongly suggest when you buy this to get some rechargeable lithium batteries as well. 2 sets of those batteries and a $20 solar charger

and you're probably set for life, except for the xenon bulbs which sometimes last forever and sometimes they don't. If you don't need the super bright feature then they make regular LED models too. Also, if you buy one I like the push buttons instead of twisting the lens. That way the focus never changes from what you set it and more importantly you can operate it with one hand. I prefer the button to be up front instead of mounted on the tail cap too.

Hope that helps!

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947