Price check, Royal Enfield gearbox

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Price check, Royal Enfield gearbox

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:24 am

Can someone give me an idea what the price would be for a new 5 speed gearbox? If there is a choice, I would like it to be left hand shift.

Thanks!

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

For Advertising mail webmaster
Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Price check, Royal Enfield gearbox

Post by Pran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:58 am

Mark,
Didn't know you had a Enfield.What bike do you have? (hoping it's a interceptor or meteor :) )
Will check up the price and post in about an hour's time.

Pran

PS: Would recommend a second hand gear box.They're real cheap in Tamil Nadu.
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:46 am

Pran,

I don't have one. What I am thinking about is putting a diesel engine in a motorcycle, such as a Kawasaki KLR 650, and will obviously need a transmission. I think an enfield box would be the best route at this point.

Again, this is just in the thinking stage right now. If you could give me a rough price of a used one that would be nice too.

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:01 am

Mark,
A new 5 speed gear box would cost you 16k INR and 4 speed is about 14k INR.Spoke to a friend of mine and was told that used gear boxes(4 speed) are not easily available in Bangalore.It's worth searching for them in Tamil Nadu where, 14k INR would get you a used bullet in good running condition.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:23 am

Thanks Praveen!

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:43 am

My pleasure, Mark.What motorcycle/s do you own?

Pran

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:17 pm

Praveen,

For the past few years I've only had a Polaris Sportsman 500cc 4X4.

Now my kids are getting a little older I'm thinking about another bike, and I've had a fascination for diesel motorcycles for many years. Unfortunately there really aren't many available, and it would make a rather interesting project I think.

I have mainly owned japanese bikes in the past, but I did have a harley a long time ago.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:31 pm

Mark,
Thats interesting.Diesel motorcycles aren't very popular in the cities here.Enfield Taurus was the last diesel motorcycle sold in India.It had a bullet chassis fitted with a Greaves engine.

Btw, is diesel cheaper than petrol in America?

Pran

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:51 pm

There was a diesel bike,manufactured out of Saharanpur by the name of Sooraj.
Wonder what ever happened to it,after the manufacturers death under mysterious circumstances,in the mid 90's.
He was a local MLA,dont know which party he belonged to,his name was Nirbhay Paul.
Best
Sanjay

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:02 pm

Sanjay,
Have heard about Sooraj.Haven't seen one though.Comes with a Greaves Lambordini engine(same as the one on a Taurus).Do note that the gear box looks very much like that of a bullet's(or is it a bullet gear box?)

Mark, here are a few pics if you're interested

http://dieselbike.tripod.com/

Pran

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:43 pm

Pran,

Diesel for about the last 15 years has cost more than petrol, before that it used to be cheaper. I suspect it has more to do with some taxes added along the way than anything else.

I am more curious about using vegetable oils to power it. Apparently under the proper conditions motors will run on pure vegetable oil.

At any rate, I have no need to go fast on 2 wheel anymore (since I have a multi-engine pilots license there are better options available!) and with my kids getting bigger building something like this would be a fun and memorable project.

Thanks for the link! That is an interesting looking motorcycle.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:54 pm

Mark";p="16359 wrote: I am more curious about using vegetable oils to power it. Apparently under the proper conditions motors will run on pure vegetable oil.
Something similar has been done before.Lot of people are experimenting with bio fuels.Remember seeing a site where this guy had his bike running on salad oil!

Pran

piyushpdsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by piyushpdsingh » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:19 am

Pran,
I have heard that hey used bullet parts.
Pran";p="16355 wrote:Sanjay,
Have heard about Sooraj.Haven't seen one though.Comes with a Greaves Lambordini engine(same as the one on a Taurus).Do note that the gear box looks very much like that of a bullet's(or is it a bullet gear box?)

Mark, here are a few pics if you're interested

http://dieselbike.tripod.com/

Pran
Piyush Pal Dhari Singh

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:12 am

Piyush,
You're right.They used a bullet chassis and gear box,a Lambordini Greaves engine and Jawa tank.

Pran