Expected code of conduct - MODIFIED

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Expected code of conduct - MODIFIED

Post by mundaire » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:27 pm

Hi All,

Based on feedback from the membership, as well as much deliberations amongst the moderators here, we have decided to make some (rather drastic) changes to the expected code of conduct here. If some members feel that some/ all of these changes are not appropriate OR that more are required - you are requested to voice your opinion on this thread. While we DO NOT promise to incorporate any suggestions, we will most certainly consider each one on it's merits.

Please keep in mind the following rules BEFORE posting on these boards, these rules are to be observed without exception by both the moderators and the members. -

1. NO profanity/ swear words - first time offenders will be warned and the post edited, a repeat offence may result in a temporary or permanent ban.

2. NO posting of illegal content - this could be insinuations/ direct admissions of participating in/ abetting an illegal act, it could be posting something which encourages someone to engage in an illegal act or helps them do so, it could be posting pictures/ text of an illegal nature. By illegal here, we are referring to INDIAN LAWS. You are all smart people, I think you know what we mean - first time offenders will be warned and the post edited, repeat offences may result in a temporary or permanent ban.

3. NO THREATS of physical harm against another member - this will result in an immediate and permanent ban from the site.

4. NO racial/ religious/ castist/ regional slurs NOR any post which denigrates any community will be allowed - basically NO BIGOTRY will be tolerated here. Members making such posts will be immediately and permanently banned.

5. Any member trying to circumvent a temporary ban, by posting under another ID will be issued a permanent ban immediately!

6. NO TEXT SPEAK/ SMS LINGO will be tolerated here. We have no beef with poor grammar, merely laziness in typing out a proper post. First time offenders will have the offending post(s) deleted, repeat offenders will be warned. Failure to heed moderator warnings will result in the user account being suspended.

This is a privately owned venue and we aren't bashful when it comes to asking the unruly to leave....no matter who you are.

About personal attacks:
While we would prefer that members attack the post, but not the guy who posted it, SO LONG AS the above 6 rules are NOT broken - WE WILL ALLOW IT.

If you feel that another member has broken one or more of the above rules, please PM the moderators with the thread link (you can do this simply by clicking on the exclamation mark in a rectangle displayed on the top right hand corner of every post).

Bans will be issued based on the severity of the infraction. Minor offences, will be usually dealt with by warning the member via PM. Failure to heed to warnings will lead to a 24 hour suspension/ ban from the site, a repeat offence will result in a 1 week suspension/ ban from the site, members who still fail to mend their ways will be issued a permanent ban. Major infractions may also result in a member being issued a direct permanent ban!

While an elaborate discussion on online etiquette (netiquette) is beyond the scope of this discussion, seeing that many of our members are newbies (to online forums) and just to get them started off - I would suggest reading the following 2 pages:

http://www.blackwidows.org.uk/clients/imp-guide/forums/
http://www.blackwidows.org.uk/clients/i ... /tips.html

We hope this would leave little room for any doubt in anyone's mind as to the expected code of conduct here. It has been greatly simplified from what it was earlier, allowing for freer discussions/ debates or even plain 'ol arguments!

Cheers!

Abhijeet
Last edited by mundaire on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:31 pm

The code of conduct has been amended, to almost a free for all one - we thought it was important that everyone familiarises themselves with this and the implications, therefore it has been set as a FTR (Forced topic read), it should redirect you to this topic ONCE only. The assumption is that everyone gets to read it this way...

Once you have read it one time (allowed the page to load fully), it should no longer redirect you to this topic.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Expected code of conduct - MODIFIED

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 am

mundaire";p="16060 wrote:Hi All,
1. NO profanity/ swear words - first time offenders will be warned and the post edited, a repeat offence may result in a temporary or permanent ban.
Abhijeet

Oi Abhijeet, I understand this code of conduct is for open forum but can i use this one Via PM :mrgreen:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:17 pm

kanwar76";p="24727 wrote:
mundaire";p="16060 wrote:Hi All,
Abhijeet

Oi Abhijeet, I understand this code of conduct is for open forum but can i use this one Via PM :mrgreen:

-Inder
Well, as per the detailed site rules here >>, the same code of conduct is expected while using the Private Messaging system. The specific entry in the detailed site rules is 2 (k).

BTW who were you thinking of flaming via PM? ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

Bantu Bana
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Bantu Bana » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Hello Members,

I m New to this forum n i have gone through the expected code of conduct.

BTW i m a gold-silver overlay/damascened koftgari artist

Cheers !!

Thanks

Bantu

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Fri May 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi Abhijeet,
What is the present rule regarding comments on the sale price of items put up by members?
Previously it was not acceptable, yet now I see that members comment on the sale price and give their own ideas of what the seller should charge with impunity.
Definitely not a healthy trend in my opinion.
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Fri May 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Yaj

Hehe I agree Yaj

Cheers
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat May 10, 2008 8:09 am

There was a demand by a large % of members to do away with the policy which restricted comments on the asking price of for sale items.

While I myself consider commenting on a sellers asking price to be a bit rude, I think that some of the prices being quoted here are quite often not indicative of real market conditions and tend to agree with many of the other members on that they should be free to comment on such prices - if they choose to do so.

On the flip side I understand only too well that the sellers almost never expect to get their demanded price, merely to set a starting point for a protracted negotiation with potential buyers.

The for sale section of this website was always meant simply as a way to help members directly trade their surplus items with each other and NOT as a commercial marketplace... so there are no checks and balances provided for (either for the buyer or the seller).

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Sat May 10, 2008 9:56 am

Abhijeet thanks for the reply.
One of the problems it may cause is that people who have absolutely no interest in buying the item pass uncalled for comments based on poor knowledge or pure conjecture( i'm sure you recall the comments on the Purdey http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=1971)
If a genuine buyer is interested in knowing the logic behind a "high price" he could always ask the seller to explain his position via PM.
Just my 2 cents worth on this. Either way is fine by me as long as the rules are clear and its a level playing field.
Regards,
Yaj.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 15, 2008 10:53 am

Yaj";p="43611 wrote:One of the problems it may cause is that people who have absolutely no interest in buying the item pass uncalled for comments based on poor knowledge or pure conjecture( i'm sure you recall the comments on the Purdey http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=1971)
That's true, not just tyre kicking but in fact on more than one occasion people have used the for sale section to snipe at each other... am afraid we'll just have to allow it for now - so long as things do not get out of hand... If you or anyone else has any suggestions on how best to handle this, please feel free to share your thoughts here.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu May 15, 2008 8:03 pm

I personally think it's not a problem...certainly not something that needs to be 'handled' .... or anything.

When someone demands a price that transcends outrageous, one, obviously, is bound to be outraged. In normal face to face interaction, social constraints and norms prevent most people from speaking their minds and also knowing what's on the mind of the other person.

The web, good or bad, affords most folks the anonymity and also the platform to speak their minds which other wise would have been repressed. This I believe is healthy as long as things don't get out of hand.

When you see astronomical prices being quoted for very average goods...often junk...what right minded person wouldn't want to say..."hey buddy...you're just trying to make a quick buck...nothing against that...but hey you're messing up the market for good.... remember that- Your children are not going to be able to afford any thing when their turn comes..."
Last edited by cottage cheese on Thu May 15, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Fri May 16, 2008 1:04 am

cottage cheese";p="43861 wrote:I personally think it's not a problem...certainly not something that needs to be 'handled' .... or anything.

When someone demands a price that transcends outrageous, one, obviously, is bound to be outraged. In normal face to face interaction, social constraints and norms prevent most people from speaking their minds and also knowing what's on the mind of the other person.
*** Why "outrage"? Isnt that over reacting? If you find that something is over priced don't buy it.Or do you think that the other members are more gullible for some reason and that you have to protect them?
As for speaking one's mind I have never had a problem with that so I wouldn't know.

cottage cheese";p="43861 wrote:The web, good or bad, affords most folks the anonymity and also the platform to speak their minds which other wise would have been repressed. This I believe is healthy as long as things don't get out of hand.
***The anonymity of the web gives a lot of ignorant people license to make an ass of themselves too.As for repressed minds being given a chance to express themselves, we should have a "Whine and cheese" section for it :twisted:
cottage cheese";p="43861 wrote:When you see astronomical prices being quoted for very average goods...often junk...what right minded person wouldn't want to say..."hey buddy...you're just trying to make a quick buck...nothing against that...but hey you're messing up the market for good.... remember that- Your children are not going to be able to afford any thing when their turn comes..."
There you go again.Give the others some credit for having a mind of their own.Instead of "Caveat Emptor" here it is "Caveat venditor"
Yaj.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri May 16, 2008 2:03 am

i think that the forum members should be able to comment on the price asked for, if its outrages. as the sellers seems to be asking any high price for junk or poor quality firearms, which leads to over priced and gives a false market value.

i am not saying that one can not ask a little more, but asking waaaaaaaay over the top is wrong and gives the dealers the edge. like IOF pistol which is less then 1lac but sellers want to sell it for LOT more, that is taking the ****.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Fri May 16, 2008 8:10 am

Forum members should be allowed to comment on prices. Helps the newcomers a lot. There was once an incident where I was quoted 80000/- for a HW77k in Bangalore. A gullible and uninformed buyer with loads of moolah would have fallen for it. Commenting on prices should be allowed. The comments should be restricted to prices alone. Sometimes things tend to go a lil overboard which is when the mods should step in. Just my two cents worth.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri May 16, 2008 6:02 pm

Yaj";p="43881 wrote: Why "outrage"? Isnt that over reacting? If you find that something is over priced don't buy it.Or do you think that the other members are more gullible for some reason and that you have to protect them?
As for speaking one's mind I have never had a problem with that so I wouldn't know.
Heheh Yaj,

I certainly can't and won't prevent anyone from quoting what he wants- Thats his god given right. No argument.

But I also have the right to let them know what I and many and I dare say most folks think.

Never said you have a problem with speaking your mind- you actually are in this case. That makes me see the other side of the coin whether I agree with it or no.

If something is over-priced, as you suggested, I don't buy it... I never do. In any case I'm a bit of a stingy bloke :mrgreen:

Oh come on buddy, I don't claim to be the voice of the unheard or the protector of the innocent and gullible. On the other hand, let me put it blandly- it's to do with selfishness. Hell, I'm not going to sit around mutely and watch the market that my passion feeds on go to bollocks. When my children come of age I hope they'll be able to afford something. Certainly I hope many feel the same too...

In a country where one can barely...just about own a gun(For most people) one can do with lesser obstacles.

***The anonymity of the web gives a lot of ignorant people license to make an ass of themselves too.As for repressed minds being given a chance to express themselves, we should have a "Whine and cheese" section for it :twisted:
The assumption is I am making an ass of myself. No contest there mate. I am one by nature. The Mods are there and free to shut the ignorant ass if they deem fit. I'll carry on being my ass self.

"Whine & Cheese" go very well with dog meat :twisted:
There you go again.Give the others some credit for having a mind of their own.Instead of "Caveat Emptor" here it is "Caveat venditor"
No credit for rapacity. Wasn't questioning or dwelling about peoples ability to think.
The Latin adds class to the conversation though :)

Yes certainly Caveat Venditor too!!

If you deem it your place in life to defend high prices, no probs mate...again thats your right :)

Anyway, since we're most unlikely to be agreeing on this issue any time... lets just let it go. It cheapens the site to have regular one-ups.

As long as things don't get out of hand, I continue to think prices should be commented upon.

Regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!