Hummer H3

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:56 am

Drive it down to Dubai, you can get some good off roading fun.

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:57 am

In case you want contacts of off roaders in Doha let me know. I have friends who hit the desert all weekends in Doha.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:28 am

Thanks a lot Shahid Bhai,,Its my wish i could drive to UAE,but there are few problems regarding visa,as i have to cross saudi border also while comming to Dubai.sure i ll PM u for ur friends contacts when i ll get free,as i am very busy on weekends these days.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:13 am

Just come over by flight. We will take you to the desert with us. A very interesting event SONY ERICCSON Top of the Dunes Challenge is coming up on April 20. I am the current runner up. Preparing a new vehicle a SWB Prado VX for this event.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:33 am

Thanks Shahid Bhai,
Sure i ll come very soon ,not this april but may be next month.Prado VX will be very good for it.Even i am realising that i would have gone for it.Not much happy with H3.interiors are not very good.Seems it is only meant for off roads :)
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:49 pm

Read this article I penned last year.

Humming along.

The mudfest was over by 10.30 AM, and I dropped Mr. Robert Flemming from Khaleej Times back at Dragon Mart where he had parked his car.

A couple of hours of sleep just before Friday prayers and the desert bug got into me again. The mudfest was not enough for one weekend even in this heat!

We decided to take the HUMMER H3 for a test drive. We chose the intermediate route which we intend to use this Friday for a newbie trip with a lever.

The Hummer we tested is equipped with a 3500 cc engine, and a four speed transfer case.

Seating position not very comfortable. Restricted rear view and the front view is also only average because of a very low seat position. Instrument panel clear and precise. Good angle of view from driving position. Sound system fair.

The vehicle was a full time 4WD with a 4H and 4L electronic locking central differential and an electronic rear diff lock.

We put it into 4H central diff lock mode and chose gear position 3 to start with. The vehicle did a good climb with a front angle of approach of 42 degrees. It was a 30 degree gradient slope.

However as the sand got softer and going in the dunes harder the vehicle was gasping for power. The low side steps also were not very practical for dune driving.

At D or 3 position the Hummer was out of breath. It negotiated short climbs only in 2 position at very high revs. The torque was inadequate for tougher climbs.

On intermediate dune climbs, and on softer sands the Hummer H3 performed very poorly. It is not zippy in the sand like a Landcruiser. The airconditioning was good although. It did not trip throughout the trip.

After about 40 minutes of driving the engine started overheating, the needle was bordering on the red zone. Outside air temperature was 50 degrees at that time ( 5.00 PM ).

We stuck to tracks from this point onwards till the needle came down to the half mark. Then we subjected the Hummer to s steep sideways climb on a slipface of soft sand. Landcruisers, Prados and Wranglers easily negotiate this particular side dune climb. The Hummer failed. The sidesteps got buried in the sand. After a bit of digging with the shovels, I engaged the rear diff lock and climbed down in reverse.

Overall off road ( sand ) diagnosis – FAIL. Not up to the mark.

Back after tyre inflation, on the highway, a strange dragging noise was apparent. A plastic grill on the bonnet that is designed to give it a fancy look actually deflects wind onto the windscreen making a terrible sound. Also when the wind passes through the series of orange lights on the roof, a big rattling noise comes through. Very annoying to the passengers.

The engine shift is not smooth and the vehicle gasps for power whenever the gas pedal is pushed. Highway driving result – FAIL

Driving to the future

-------------------------------

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:51 am

Never tested in such conditions ,Btw good information.

Django
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Django » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:14 pm

My H2 impression when I last tested it was the same, not surprised, GM powertrain doesn't have much substance compared to the legendary Toyota Land Cruiser or Mercedes G.
N.R.A. member since 1989

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:12 pm

H 2 is still much better, doesn't gasp for power on big dunes.

H 3 has serious power shortage for any grade of desert above beginers.

H 2 however has a longer wheelbase and easily gets crested on dune knife edges.

A very annoying experience pulling this heavy monster out everytime.

Django
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Django » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:31 pm

Tell you what, over dunes I will take a TLC, G Wagen or my Gurkha with diffs locked front and rear over a Hummer even though my Gurkha is the weakest of all.
N.R.A. member since 1989

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:54 pm

Land Cruiser and Landcruiser Prado along with Nissan Patrol rule the dunes.

Hey I am interested in this Gurkha. It has got the antecedants of a Meccedese G wagon. Interesting stuff.

I think it is the most capable Indian 4x4 off road. Where can I buy one and where can I get hold of its picture and specifications ?

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:17 pm

Very nice to know you Axxx. [Shahid, if a member gives you his name in private, you should keep it private. - Mack The Knife]

I will be launching the new Toyota FJ Cruiser for the UAE dealers Al Futtaim Motors on September 7.

I will do a Desert / off road drive test for this before that.

Later in November 2007 I will do the test drive for the new Landcruiser 2008 model with 5.7 litre V 8 engine. This is going to be some babe to drive with 340 bhp power.

My current Landcruiser VXR is 4.7 litre, V 8 with 275 bhp.

I will post these 2 test drive reports as well for the benefit of IFG members.