The Wild West – Novels and Authors

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

The Wild West – Novels and Authors

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 pm

Sudden Strikes Back1.jpg
Friends,

There are quite a few IFG’ians who are interested in what are popularly known as Westerns. These were top-selling genres of fiction based around the exciting period of the population of North America. Cowboys and Indians, gunslingers, gamblers, outlaws, vaqueros, buffalo hunters, mule skinners, farmers, cattlemen, miners, stage coach drivers, all of them - chasing a dream of a free land! They were rough and ready, lawless times when often Judge Colt ruled in the makeshift courts.

Westerns are tales of the peoples and pioneers of several dozen nations who built what is now the USA and Canada. As a child I was brought up on a steady diet of such heroes as Sudden, the Sackett clan, Chick Bowdrie, The Lone Ranger etc. Amongst my favorites were authors - Oliver Strange, Louis L’amour, Max Brand, Luke Short, Zane Grey, J. T. Edson, Will Henry and Ernest Haycox.

Here is some information on SUDDEN by Oliver Strange and Frederick H. Christian

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden

James Green aka Sudden is a fictional character created by the author Oliver Strange and after his death carried on by Frederick H. Christian. The books are centered around a gunfighter in the American Wild West era, who is in search of two men who cheated his foster father. Jim the young man promises his dying father that he will find the two and take revenge. He gives the name James Green to himself (his real first name, we find out in Law o' the Lariat, is Donald) and in time gets accused of a robbery himself and becomes an outlaw.

The series details the adventures of a gunfighter who earns the nickname "Sudden" because of his lightning speed with a gun. Sudden is also characterized as an intelligent man who is respectful of the law, unwilling to use a gun unless absolutely necessary, humanitarian, brave, and strong. On his way he also gets pardoned by the Governor of Arizona and becomes the Governor's Secret Agent.

The books were first published around the late 1920s and the early 1930s. They featured vivid descriptions of the western American landscape, rare in an author at that time.

The series features conventional and repetitive storylines; a story typically revolves around Sudden arriving in a town that either has several unlawful elements or has a troubled clime. Sudden earns the respect of the townspeople, fights against all odds, defeats the oppressors, and protects the wronged and then rides out into the sunset. A characteristic feature is a boxing fight, in which the cowboy fights against an adversary without using any arms, and emerges victorious amidst narrations about typical cattle raids on ranches, brand swapping on the cows, bush-whacking and a shady bar cum saloon where all the townsfolk gather. In addition, several gun fights where Sudden's lightning speed with a gun is described. Further, in all the novels, Sudden befriends a young man who is not as capable as himself; this young friend then through the course of the narrative inevitably wins the hand of the girl he loves, except in The Range Robbers where Sudden is the one who gets 'tied up'. The recurring motif is that of Sudden succeeding in uniting the lovers, resolving all conflicts, and then riding away to other towns to search for two outlaws against whom he had sworn revenge for an earlier crime. In The Range Robbers, he meets the two outlaws as well as his future wife.

Despite belonging to the potboiler league with conventional and predictable storylines and almost obvious plots, the novels are notable for the sharp cutting dialogues, one-liners, dry and laconic wit, fast pace, language style, and description. Further, they provide a reasonable description of the Wild West style-the living styles, the speech mannerisms, and customs.

Some dialogues of Sudden from his books are:

Sudden Rides Again: Where four rogues block the way of a girl in a saloon and Sudden says, "Go ahead, ma'am; if anyone gets in yore way yu'll only have to step over him."

In another book to a question as to what his business is, Sudden replies "well it ain't advertisin".

Absolutely great set of novels and with each one of them out of print, those that have them and love Westerns have a treasure.

Some readers have found that Frederick Christian not only copied two novels with almost similar story line, in fact he botched up Sudden Strikes back, where a bully tries to ride Sudden's horse and gets thrown down. The name of the girl who watches is shown as 'Noreen'. A similar situation is shown happening in the novel The Range Robbers. In the same way, Sudden at Bay has strong resemblance to 'Sudden'. In Dead or Alive, Frederick makes Sudden a widower - the references to Noreen clearly suggest her demise. Frederick Christian also created another character called Angel and repeated a few of the storylines like Sudden At Bay in the name of Angel.

Oliver Strange wrote 10 Sudden books -
Sudden—Outlawed (1935)
Sudden (1933)
Sudden—Gold Seeker (1937)
Sudden Rides Again (1938)
Sudden Makes War (1942)
Sudden Takes the Trail (1940)
Sudden Plays a Hand (1950)
The Marshal of Lawless (1933)
The Range Robbers (1930)
The Law o' the Lariat (1931)

Frederick H. Christian wrote 5 Sudden books -
Sudden Strikes Back (1966)
Sudden—Troubleshooter (1967)
Sudden at Bay (1968)
Sudden—Apache Fighter (1969)
Sudden—Dead or Alive! (1970)

Related Links:
About F.H. Christian and how he revived the series after Oliver Strange http://www.fredericknolan.com/Getting_it_together.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: The Wild West – Novels and Authors

Post by jonahpach » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:33 pm

JT Edson, Olive strange, & Christian are good writers and I have a few of their works. But I have read almost all the books of the greatest story teller of all time "Louis L'amour" and still have a sizeable collection of them. Needless to say he is of course my favourite writer.
http://www.louislamour.com/

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Not to forget Jack london, Dorothy Johnson.

Another good one was a story called Yaqui. I dont remember who the author was but was a good read.

All these authors helped propogate the myth of the "fast shooting cowboy". This never existed. (before the US television westerns in the 50's).
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Louis L'amour and Max Brand for me! And of course the movies, The Magnificent Seven, GBU, et al....

Strange thing, all westerns, books and movies, are about an itinerant "good guy" gunfighter, mopping up the bad guys in a back-of-beyond town in the wild, wild west, cliched story, cliched characters, and still these books and movies have the same appeal over generations! My son (all of 6) freaks out on the GBU theme music!

Be seein' ya, pardner!

EssDee
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 pm

You have left out Zane Gray and the real West Gun Fighters like Wyat Earp, Doc Holliday, Calamity jane and a host of others. The real life incidents of Gun Fight at OK Corall and of course Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Regs
Sudhaiob

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Wyatt earp rarely used a gun and then too wasnt fast.
Doc holliday: well a moderate shot at best. and no he didnt shoot those many people. All of his fast 'kills' were unwitnessed. The only witnessed shootings didnt show any remarkable performances.

Also to let you guys know that though the colt has been the mainstay of western books/films etc.
The unsung hero of the western life is the humble shotgun. Self defence, food getter.

compare any culture across any time. a shotgun is easier to shoot than a handgun, less maintainance, cheaper ammo. Used widely in america.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:20 am

Wow! The warmth with which this topic has been received is truly gratifying. Welcome all western aficionados - keep adding your thoughts and experiences!

@ sudhaiob - it is true - what you say has been left out (except for Zane Grey - which is mentioned in my original post) - my intention was simply to get the ball rolling and have enthusiasts add material as memories resurface.

@ essdee, jonahpach - Louis L'amour was certainly the most prolific (maximum books sold as well) of western writers and his narration and style are quite unmistakable. I have been fortunate to watch a few movies and TV serials based on his novels, notably Sackett! I would love to have all of his novels in my collection.

@ shooter - Yaqui - perhaps you are referring to: Yaqui Gold is a powerful novel set in the West, specifically Texas, Arizona and Old Mexico, in the year 1886. Actor Clint Walker and Kirby Jonas have teamed up to create one of the most unique and fascinating looks ever at the world of the Yaqui Indians of Mexico, and two men's struggle to survive against almost impossible odds.

Of Louis L’amour:
Below listed are all the Sackett stories (IMO the most addictive of his novels) and the best order in which to read them.

Sackett’s Land
To the Far Blue Mountains
The Warrior’s Path
Jubal Sackett
Ride the River
The Daybreakers
The Courting of Griselda (short story in “End of the Drive”)
Lando
Sackett
Booty for a Badman (short story in “War Party”)
Mojave Crossing
The Sackett Brand
The Skyliners
The Lonely Men
Mustang Man
Galloway
Treasure Mountain
Ride the Dark Trail
Lonely on the Mountain

Other Talon and Chantry novels: Milo Talon, The Man from the Broken Hills, Rivers West, Borden Chantry, North to the Rails, Fair Blows the Wind, Over on the Dry Side, The Ferguson Rifle

Sackett characters also appear in Son of a Wanted Man, Bendigo Shafter and Dark Canyon.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:10 am

no that wasnt it. the story yaqui was written from the yaqui's point of view and how the chiefs son is killed and the tribe is enslaved.

-- 14 Feb 2011, 22:44 --

hey what about the following movies: (aka curry westerns)

Jagir: starring dharmendra, danny and mithun
Wanted: starring mithun
Khhotey sikkay: firoz khan
zalzala: shatrughan sinha and dharmendra
kala sona: firoz khan and danny

the list goes on but one could start here.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:03 pm

@ shooter,
hey what about the following movies: (aka curry westerns)
You missed the original and the best - Sholay...! :D Except Jay and Veeru don't wear hats...

@ ckkalyan, errr... can I borrow some of your books??? :D

@ sudhaiob, also James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok, scout, lawman, gunfighter - killed just like a gunfighter, i.e. shot dead while playing poker! William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody, Medal of Honour awardee for the Indian Wars, buffalo hunter, showman (Buffalo Bill's Wild West show), conservationist, Indian fighter and fighter for Indian rights, early exponent of women's rights, et al.... Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie.....

For the spaghetti westerns, must say Clint Eastwood's "expressionless look" (poor chap had only two expressions - eyes narrowed, eyes even more narrowed :lol: ) suited the gunfighter image to a T! Plus the half-smoked cigar in the corner of the mouth!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:00 pm

@ shooter: No question about it. The shotgun was the ultimate leveler, the sight of a cocked SxS commanded immediate respect as mentioned in many of Louis L'amour's novels.

@ essdee :D Sure PM me your email ID and I'll attach some LL novels. I have learn't a serious lesson about loaning books - they never seem come back! I once lost a brand new, 12 book collection of LL in the early 80's :cry:

Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns were sure a treat!

Has any one come across a character called Joaquin Murieta of California? Somehow though probably not a much known book in India, this ordinary man turned outlaw's story stuck in my mind.

A novel written by John Rollin Ridge called Life and Adventures of Joaquin Murieta: The Celebrated California Bandit

There was even a song: Here are the words in English from "Songs of the Great American West" - Silber & Robinson CORRIDO DE JOAQUIN MURIETA

An extract from the song

I have been in every cafe
Fighting with the Americans
"You then are the captain
Who killed my brother
You caught him unarmed
Proud American"

I was traveling in California
In the year eighteen hundred and fifty
With my pistol in my belt
And the cartridge belt was full
I'm that Mexican
Whose name is Joaquin Murieta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:06 pm

@ ckk, you got soft copies of these books? We all learnt the same lesson about lending books, lost Mario Puzo collection, half of Commando comics collection that way!

Cheers!
EssDee
Cheers!

EssDee

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:25 pm

Gentlemen,

Found a great collection of informative books on all sorts of weapons, handguns, rifles, blades, bows etc

John C. Denner Co., Antique Arms & Militaria

Take a look http://www.denner.ca/books/Newbookpage/ ... index.html

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:16 pm

ckkalyan you bring up old memories. I have read the works of several western authors but most of all Louis L'amour. I have read and still have all of the L'amour books that you have listed and more. The only one I seem to have missed or cannot recall is The Courting of Griselda.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:19 am

Hi Rajat,

It is truly amazing that so many of us share a love for westerns and in particular Louis L'amour; the list above was just the Sackett novels which are truly remarkable - there are of course a large number of other titles. It is wonderful to know that you have such a huge collection. :D Truly a treasure!

AFAIK, only the full length novels are available in India - I have seen very few short story collections by LL, during my time there - OR maybe I was just not in the right place at the right time!
:cheers:

Steve007
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Steve007 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:54 pm

Haven't visited here for a while (my error :oops: ), and I now note this fine thread.

Interestingly, the "Sudden" series referenced by ckkalyan seems not to be available in the US or only at a high prices. But there are lots of other excellent westerns avaiable inepensively. Just for the heck of it, got to ebay and input "lot westerns" or "lot vintage westerns" under books. I bought my most recent bunch (7) for about 50 cents (half a dollar) each. Plus postage.

Many great writers around beside Louis L'Amour.