The Wild West – Novels and Authors

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The Wild West – Novels and Authors

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:13 am

xl_target wrote:As for Wilbur Smith, he isn't quite 'Wild West' but I've read everything he's written (looking at his biblio, I may have missed his last two or three). One of the most amazingly descriptive writers, you can almost see the story as you read. Unfortunately, when I was in Africa, my passport was stamped: "not vaild for Republic of South Africa and Rhodesia" so I never got to go there.
Hi xl_target, great to meet another Wilbur Smith aficionado. After reading most of his work, I feel that I know Africa, although I have never been there, yet!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:41 am

After reading most of his work, I feel that I know Africa, although I have never been there, yet!
CK, My sentiments exactly.

On a more personal level and a little OT: I was very excited when I went to Africa but Nigeria was a huge disappointment for me. At least, as compared to Wilbur Smith's Africa.
Part of that was culturally induced by my family. When we go abroad, many Indians, tend to join the various Indian Associations. They socialize with other Indians, attend the same functions that are celebrated in India and totally insulate themselves from the local population. I got to meet very few Nigerians and saw no wildlife (at the time, a few years after the Biafra war, Nigeria didn't have much wildlife anyway).

When I came here, the first thing I did was pointedly ignore the Indian Association's overtures and tried hard to learn what America and Americans were all about. I think in the long run I learned more and enjoyed myself more. Not that I turned my back on my own culture, I was and am proud to be an Indian citizen. I had an awesome childhood growing up as a "Fauji brat" and I still hold on to my Indian citizenship.

-- Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:36 am --
Steve007 wrote:
xl_target wrote: Unfortunately, when I was in Africa, my passport was stamped: "not vaild for Republic of South Africa and Rhodesia" so I never got to go there.
They were glorious countries, xl...once. I've spent 9 months in South Africa (3 trips). The first few, US sanctions were on, so I had to smuggle myself in through Zurich and Weisbaden, West Germany. Beautiful country, fine people, beautiful women. And NOT the way it was portrayed in the media! Sorry you missed it. And delighted that I didn't.

Steve,
At the time India had severed relations with South Africa and Rhodesia because of Apartheid. While agreeing with sanctions against the two countries at the time, I still would have liked to go and see the land and the people.

However, we seem to have strayed from the "Wild West" so to get back on topic, I would like to add the names of two fine "Western" authors; Max Brand and Zane Grey.
I would also like to add that as a kid, I saw and enjoyed all of the "Trinity" series of movies, starring Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. Slapstick comedy, western style.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

maktaduai
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by maktaduai » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm new and I know it's probably gonna be illegal but I have loved this James Green character created by Oliver Strange so much so that I have collected all his novels (except for the works of Frederick H. Christian which I don't have) so that people who loved this 'cowboy' but couldn't find a copy of the novels to read will have something to read online.

***Copyright infringements not tolerated here, thank you for your co-operation - Moderator***

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:01 pm

xl_target wrote:
When I came here, the first thing I did was pointedly ignore the Indian Association's overtures and tried hard to learn what America and Americans were all about. I think in the long run I learned more and enjoyed myself more. Not that I turned my back on my own culture, I was and am proud to be an Indian citizen.

Well put and good point XL-ji - couldn't agree more! - CKK

However, we seem to have strayed from the "Wild West" so to get back on topic, I would like to add the names of two fine "Western" authors; Max Brand and Zane Grey.
I would also like to add that as a kid, I saw and enjoyed all of the "Trinity" series of movies, starring Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. Slapstick comedy, western style.
Trinity - was truly fantastic along with his 'brother' Bud - amazing feats - probably all impossible stunts - but who was counting....we just, simply enjoyed ourselves.... :D

@ maktaduai - wow - another James Green (alias SUDDEN) fan! Welcome!

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 am

speaking of western heroes, why hasnt anybody mentioned dusty fog, mark, ysabel kid with his ole yellowboy, ole devil hardin etc. dusty is probably the only texan hero who is short, almost midget by texan standards. 5'3".
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:59 am

shooter wrote:speaking of western heroes, why hasnt anybody mentioned dusty fog, mark, ysabel kid with his ole yellowboy, ole devil hardin etc. dusty is probably the only texan hero who is short, almost midget by texan standards. 5'3".
Well said about the heroes of J.T. Edson - Shooter; I have read almost all his work, but I slowly got disenchanted by his extremely detailed descriptions of action scenes....maybe I was just impatient and wanted to get to the juicy bits, quicker...

However, some light is thrown on his background and writing style that would maybe help us understand, he never visited or lived in the West...Wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._T._Edson

He was born in 1928 near the border of the County of Derbyshire, England, in a small mining village, Whitwell, where his relatives still live.[1] He was obsessed with Westerns from an early age and often "rewrote" cowboy movies that he had seen at the cinema. One thing that always intrigued him was the minutiae—how did the baddie's gun jam? What were the mechanics of cheating at cards? How did Westerners really dress and speak? His writing was helped to develop by a schoolteacher who encouraged him. Now lives in Leicester, Leicestershire.

:cheers:

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:02 pm

I am aware of his background and thats why its more amazing how much in detail he goes. Its the details which enchanted me. No other author gives such details about the mechanics of stuff.
I think he is the only writer in the world, western or otherwise who has provided the readers not only with the height of his hero but also the chest, waist, biceps and even calves measurement :!:
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:20 am

Brings back old memories,
Some how I missed this wonderful thread. But it started and ended much before I joined this forum.
I was also a huge fan of 'Sudden' and have probably read most of the novels. Being a son of a 'fauji' we lived in camps away from the city most of my life, hence could not see western movies except for rare occasions when they were screened in the camps.
Now again I am going through the thread to find novels that I can download and read again.

Regards

Atul