Flashlights - how to check lumens?

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Flashlights - how to check lumens?

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:52 am

Rajat, my friend, I honestly don't want to be arrested for blinding some innocent guy!!! 5500 lumens!!! God, that's POWER (all caps). Hand-held searchlight!! Thanks, but I have already ordered the one Mundaire wrote about. Didn't want to sink a huge amount of cash, in case the supplier or the product turns out to be a dud.
Will let you know on this thread whether the stuff is good, bad, or ugly.

Cheers!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

For Advertising mail webmaster
Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:43 pm

essdee :D I was not suggesting that you buy this one. It was just interesting to point out this flashlight since we were already discussing this seller. You are right, these are hand held searchlights.

As for your concern about the supplier or product turning out to be a dud: The supplier seems to be a genuine one as other wise he cannot get 99.3% positive feedback at a sales figure / feedback from 159125 buyers at ebay.
The flashlight was rated at 3500 Lumens. I can say this that it will work and the light output will be tremendous (based on seller ratings) but if it will give out 3500 Lumens or not is uncertain and also nothing can be said about the build quality or how long it will last.

By the way another thing worth mentioning here is that one of the, if not THE worlds most powerful flashlight is rated at a bit more than 5000 lumens and it is made by Polarion and these guys are the best. The model is Polarion Helios. These are not the everyday use types.

sandy013
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by sandy013 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi,

its difficult to check lumens. All non branded products do not confirm to lumen standard mentioned on it.

I suggest you should buy branded products.

Mr. Sandeep Sharma: The website mentioned by you is registered to your name/ e-mail ID, if you wish to offer products for sale to members, post an appropriate advertisement in the for sale section here.

Please note: The site rules DO NOT ALLOW people to promote their commercial ventures via this forum - it is considered SPAMMING! Next time you do this the moderators may be constrained to suspend/ ban your ID here.

Thank you for your co-operation in helping maintain the quality of content on this website. - Moderator

P.S. Your last post on this thread has been moved to a more appropriate section at http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 25&t=12420

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:37 pm

sandy why dont you introduce yourself in the appropriate section first.

The TK45 happens to be the only flashlight at sunrek.com at present and not everyone might be interested in buying a Rs 10000 flashlight which uses 8 x AA's.

I know of Sunrek for quite some time now. They have a store called Sunrek Global at http://www.ebay.in too and there is another seller there known as Worldwide Technologies who carries similar and interesting stuff.

Check out:

http://stores.ebay.in/Worldwide-Technolgies

&

http://stores.ebay.in/SUNREKGLOBAL

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 pm

essdee1972 wrote: Thanks, but I have already ordered the one Mundaire wrote about. Didn't want to sink a huge amount of cash, in case the supplier or the product turns out to be a dud.
Will let you know on this thread whether the stuff is good, bad, or ugly.

Cheers!
Well, we are waiting. Did you get it ?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Yep, even I'm curious as to how the product actually is...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:53 pm

Haven't recd it till date. Queried the seller, they said due to Christmas and New year, etc., etc. Also, got a bit tied up myself. Thanks for reminding, will enquire again.

Cheers!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

nikhilsharma
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nikhilsharma » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:00 pm

I recently received this Maglite XL100 (http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl100_led.asp) as a gift!
Its a humble 82 Lumen flashlight but its advanced user interface with motion detecting accelerometer is amazing. See some demos and reviews on youtube......

All in all a neat gadget to carry around - very sturdy (as all Maglites) and having it in your hand is believing!

Demo

Review:
Peace,
Nikhil
"Ours not to reason why, Ours but to do and die" - Lord Alfred Tennyson

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:18 pm

It is available at base camp. Nice flashlight. Enjoy!

nikhilsharma
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nikhilsharma » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:42 pm

Rajat wrote:It is available at base camp. Nice flashlight. Enjoy!
Base camp??
Peace,
Nikhil

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:10 pm

nikhilsharma
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nikhilsharma » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 am

Oh, ok!! Sorry, did not know of this site. :)
I saw the link but it's too expensive @ basecamp!!

It doesn't even cost half of it!!!
Peace,
Nikhil

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:47 pm

I know $35 -40 but in India Rs. 3650 at the base camp website.

The reason being that first of all base camp is the official distributor for Maglite in India so no hanky panky here. Add to this the shipping cost + customs duty + lousy sales + high overhead expenses + warranty coverage. What do you get: a price of Rs 3650 in India. The good part being that we at least have an outlet here in India. :D

By the way base camp is not really an e-store they have many outlets too. Since you live in Delhi check out their store on the inner circle of Connaught Place, D-5.

Now the question: where did you get it for half the price in India? Please pass on this information to the other members. And what other interesting stuff is available? Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.

nikhilsharma
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nikhilsharma » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Rajat wrote:I know $35 -40 but in India Rs. 3650 at the base camp website.

The reason being that first of all base camp is the official distributor for Maglite in India so no hanky panky here. Add to this the shipping cost + customs duty + lousy sales + high overhead expenses + warranty coverage. What do you get: a price of Rs 3650 in India. The good part being that we at least have an outlet here in India. :D

By the way base camp is not really an e-store they have many outlets too. Since you live in Delhi check out their store on the inner circle of Connaught Place, D-5.

Now the question: where did you get it for half the price in India? Please pass on this information to the other members. And what other interesting stuff is available? Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.
International delivery via Amazon!!
Peace,
Nikhil

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi, folks, got the flashlight yesterday. Cool package for ~ INR 500.

However, it seems to work better with 1 CR123A lithium batteries (pulled out from my old film camera, used for ~ 1 year), than with 2 Duracells. Decent throw for single LED flash. Cannot really tell the lumens, etc. (that's why I started this thread in the first place :) ), but going by the limited tests I could do in the limited environment, seemed much better than the 5-7 LED stuff you get in Big Bazaars.

Very compact, in the bargain. Black anodised aluminium. Has "Cree" written on one side and "Saik" on the other. One normal mode, one flashing mode.

I also got the original light I wrote about (Cree). Accidentally I turned it to my eyes at full power - saw stars for the next 10 minutes!!! Pretty awesome throw, by what I could judge. Only issue is the rapid deployment in a tactical situation (i.e. blinding someone), as one cannot use the brightest settings in normal use, and it starts in the mode used last time. Will take 3-4 seconds to click once, click again to switch off, and thrid click to switch on in max power mode. Looks similar to the smaller light above, except for the size, and it only has "Cree" on one side.

Thanks for the link, Abhijeet!! And for all the advice, guys!

Cheers!

EssDee.
Cheers!

EssDee