Fountain Pens.

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Fountain Pens.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:21 pm

We will forgive you, Navi. :D

Nice Carene.

Are you looking for a daily use fountain pen?

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:47 pm

I am enjoying the hand writing pics more than those of the pens :cheers:
Last edited by kshitij on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:50 pm

I would never have imagined that there were so many 'Fountain Pen' fans in this age also.

Atul

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Sorry MTK,

Just checked the board. I was in office all day today. Perhaps next ween if you are free.

Thats a really nice Waterman Carene Navi.

Sent from my typewriter using Tapatalk - now Free
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:30 pm

MTK,
The Pilot Vanishing Point is very intriguing and is a refreshing change from the standard designs. Is the shirt clip obtrusive, since it is near the grip?
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:34 am

mtk and inder thanks for the name I had to look it up.
MTK yes I am looking for daily use ones any suggestions folks

Kshitji others great collection
Pen is mightier than gun and legal to collect But risky to write I guess
Best

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:20 am

Kshitij: With regard to my chicken scratch samples, did you notice that the line width of the Japanese fountain pen (Pilot VP) was thinner than it's German (Western) counterpart (Lamy 2K), despite the Jap having a 'medium' nib and the Westerner a 'fine' nib? Both fountain pens were cleaned and inked up at the same time and with the same ink.
The clip is obtrusive to some and a boon to others as it gives them a point of reference when holding the pen. It does not bother me in the least. Aesthetically, it's a ruddy eyesore but it's practicality ensures it's continuous use ever since I got one. Now that it has been filled with a permanent ink (Platinum Carbon), it has become all the more practical. It's only drawback is its small ink reservoir of 0.5 ml. However, if used for jotting short notes and / or a few small sketches, it can get through the day with enough to spare. A couple of months back, it's what I had on me when I had to write out a FIR - four sides of A4 size sheet and there was enough to spare when I checked it the next morning.

Inder: I am in Bangalore next weekend.

Navi: I'd be happy to make some suggestions but I need to know what you are willing to spend because for many, a daily use fountain pen, needn't necessarily mean something inexpensive.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 am

Navi,

Tell you what, let's scratch your itch with entry level pen suggestions so that you can get one today at Fountain Pen Hospital on your way to or from office.

Under $5.00 fountain pen range:

1) Pilot Varsity (Disposable but refilable - ) Fine and medium nibs only. Try both.
2) Pilot V-Pen (Disposable but refilable). Fine and medium nibs only. Try both.
3) Platinum Preppy. Comes with Platinum's proprietory cartridge but also takes Platinum's proprietory convertor that will let you fill from an ink botlle. It can also be converted into an eyedropper fountain pen for which you will need readily available o-ring and silicone grease. Fine and medium nibs only. Try both.
4) Some Chinese fountain pens.

$10.00 to $15.00 fountain pen range:

1) Some Chinese pens.
2) Pilot Metropolitan. Comes with its own convertor. Not sure of nib range but try before you buy.

$25.00 to $50.00 fountain pen range:

1) Lamy Safari. Some shops make you buy the convertor separately. Some people don't like the design or grip but I am not one of them. In my opinion, it's a design classic and its designer, Wolfgang Fabian, designed an excellent fountain pen. It was designed for school use but don't let that influence your decision. Comes in many colours and a huge selection of INTERCHANGEABLE nibs - EF, F, M, B, 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9. 1.1 to 1.9 are calligraphy nibs. Try the others. Made of ABS plastic and very robust.
The Lamy Vista is the clear / demonstrator version of the Safari.

2) Lamy Al-Star: Aluminium version of the Safari. Very slightly thicker in girth. Try before you buy.

3) Lamy Studio (brushed steel version): Comes with a convertor. Same nib range as Safari. Also has a gold nib range. Interchangeable nibs. You can buy a gold nib at a later date if you like. Try before you buy. I have only recommended the brushed steel version as the other options have a highly polished section that I find slippery.

4) Faber-Castell Loom: Convertor sold separately. Never used this fountain pen but it is reputed to have an extremely smooth nib and great flow. Try before you buy.

Best value for money gold nibbed fountain pen:

1) Platinum PTL-5000. Try before you buy.

Try Lamy, Waterman, Sheaffer or Parker inks to start with. If the pen's a gusher, buy Pelikan 4001.

Last but not least, do NOT lend your fountain pen to someone to use, unless they are experienced fountain pen users and even then, I would advice caution.

Have fun and I look forward to seeing what you get.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:49 am

Brihaji, Kshitij and Mack,
Excellent handwriting.
Your hand writing makes mine look like chicken scratchings.
I especially liked Mack's embellishments separating the quotes. Very classy!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:56 am

xl_target: I don't like my handwriting. So far, Kshitij's handwriting is the best and hat's off to Brihaji for a firm hand for someone his age.

Added in 1 minute 27 seconds:
Just had another look at your sample and it's a decent handwriting, more so when one considers you were writing with the nib reversed.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:48 am

I think you guys are highly over rating chicken scratchings :D
I found all of our writing to be well above average atleast. For actual chicken scratching, you must see some doctors write. I personally am yet to encounter a doctor with decent handwriting. Invariably i give up trying to read what they have written after the fist line or two (no offence to any doctors, just my experience).

@MTK, i really liked the vanishing point. May pick one up just cause of the way it is made.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:43 am

[quote="Mack The Knife"]xl_target: I don't like my handwriting. So far, Kshitij's handwriting is the best and hat's off to Brihaji for a firm hand for someone his age.

Hi Mack,
Thanks a ton bro for 'raising this topic on pens' (y)
While rummaging through the drawers I chanced upon this pen which I picked up from a pen shop in Flora Fountain - Mumbai, almost 20 years ago!
It cost me Rs.30/- then and came with a spare ink cartridge...what I liked about this pen was that it had a medium nib that suited my style of writing!
Here's a sample of my writing 'dedicated to you'....hope you like it :D
(It brought back pleasant memories of Ella Fitzgerald & Luis Armstrong belting this song at the Berlin Jazz festival)

Briha

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:14 pm

kshitij wrote:I think you guys are highly over rating chicken scratchings :D
You obviously haven't heard the Gujarati turn of phrase my father uses to describe my handwriting. :mrgreen:

Anyway, here's some interesting fountain pen trivia.

Added in 1 minute 23 seconds:
J. Herbin also made ink for Victor Hugo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:16 pm

brihacharan wrote:Here's a sample of my writing 'dedicated to you'....hope you like it :D
(It brought back pleasant memories of Ella Fitzgerald & Luis Armstrong belting this song at the Berlin Jazz festival)
Like it? I love it! And had a jolly good laugh to boot! :mrgreen:

Many thanks, I will print it out and keep it as a keep sake.

I envy you seeing and hearing Ella and Louis live. They are amongst my favourites.

I recall a rather profitable incident connected with this song. During an intermission of one of Weber's musicals, my dad and I were at the bar and he says to me, "I bet you 500 quid you don't know who wrote the music for The Three Penny Opera." He lost. Ever since then he has never offered me a wager. LOL.

I have always associated Stabilo 88s with fine liners. Seeing a fountain pen version was truly surprising.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Moin, Deccan Pens, those are collector items. they are very few remaining hand made pen makers in todays world. They have being featured in any magazines. I have trying to get it also.

Those are some amazing pen care stuff you have shown Jack. I will be be troubling you soon.

I had to stop collecting pens as they are not cheap, i used to buy a lot on ebay looking for good old used pens, found some good deal, but now day its full of fakes :(, but still at time you can find deals there.