Fountain Pens.

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Fountain Pens.

Post by xl_target » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:41 am

Hammerhead wrote:XL ..... Don't go for the U.S. pens, they don't go bang !!!
There's probably an amendment to cover that :)

So I bought an A.T. Cross Bailey
It's a medium tip and while smooth, it really throws a big fat line.
As Esdee mentions, I think I would prefer a fine tip.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:32 am

Congrats! :mrgreen:

Since it's new you can contact the store and tell them you find the line width too broad (although they have clearly mentioned a 1 mm line width) and would like to exchange the nib/pen for one with a thinner line width. Such as, http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/9 ... ium-Point/ This has half the line width of your current fountain pen. If possible, try the fountain pen for line width, smoothness and proper flow before buying.

Remember to take the box, paper work, pen and invoice if you are visiting the store in person.

You may also want to consider buying a converter and a bottle of ink.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:47 am

Here's the issue; while the website has in-depth descriptions of each product, the items on the shelves did not specify the line width.
I dislike returning stuff after I have used it so I'll just keep it. I'll probably give it away to someone if I really take a dislike to it.
I finally got the girl to bring her scanner over and we checked every fountain pen in this store and couldn't fine a fine nib. I'd have to mail order it, I guess.

I went there today and bought that exact same box that you show in the link (with the six cartridges and pen).
They had them discounted for $20 in the store. Still too fat.

Also no converters and no ink bottles in stock at the store.
"You can order it and we'll get it in for you".
Well, maybe later.

To create a thinner line, I did the old trick of flipping the nib upside down and using it that way. I dashed off a line to see what it would look like. Crappy notepad paper and the slightly more scratchy nib surface produced this:

Its been a very long time since I've used one of these and it shows. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:23 am

You can ask Office Depot or Cross themselves for a change of nib. Many manufacturers and stores provide this service for new pens.

There are no international standards governing nib tip widths and their line thickness because line thickness varies due to pressure, ink type and the paper used. You could try Pelikan 4001 ink but the Cross ink bottle is so similar to the Pelikan's, I wonder if Pelikan make it for them. However, the formulation could be different.

If you like a thinner line I would recommend Japanese pens. Their line thickness is usually one level finer than their western countreparts. For example, a Japanese Medium would roughly corresspond to a Western Fine, Jap Fine = Western Extra Fine, etc. Having said that, there are always exceptions, such as Pilot Vanishing Point Broad = Western Broad but a Pilot Vanishing Point Medium = Western Fine. Hence, it's better to try the pen in person, when possible. Failing which, search the net for user reviews. By the way, Lamy line thicknesses are usually, but not always, broader than their Western countreparts.

Office Depot has Pilot Varsity fountains pens for $3.50 each. Try a medium and fine. You could also try a Pilot Metropolitan for under $15.00 each.

Added in 16 minutes 4 seconds:
A 1.00 mm line thickness is close to BB (Double Broad).

Since you bought the pen in person and this was not communicated to you, you are well within your rights to ask for nib switch at the very least.

Moreover, the nib is advertised as a 'medium', and Cross medium's are in the 0.5mm range. http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:55 pm

This thread brought back many old memories. Had few good pens during my school days. As time passed, many of them were given away as the need to write frequently reduced after school.
On an impluse, picked up a fountain pen on the way back from work. Nothing fancy just a regular one which i guess the school kids use today. Filled it up and tried my hand. What joy :D
1444540814562.jpg
Currently i use the Uniball UB150 roller pens for my regular writing but i guess i would want to move back to fountain pens some day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kshitij on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:50 pm

LOL. Excellent!

I could hear Satchmo sing that as I read the above. Wonderful!

Post a pic of that fountain pen as well. Looks like a good writer.

:D

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:55 pm

Arre MTK Saheb,

Aapne to fountain pen ki lehar chala di ... Lol

All you guys have really good handwriting. My handwriting sucks big time. Thanks to computers. Its been a while since i used any kind of pen or pencil.

Sent from my typewriter using Tapatalk - now Free
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:01 pm

LOL.

If you are free tomorrow, come over.....with all your fountain pens. We'll clean them. LOL.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:14 am

Partially dismantled the fountain pens in current use for a clean up. Got to do this when using pigmented ink.

Left to right: Platinum #3776 Century, Pilot Vanishing Point and Lamy 2000.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:28 pm

MTK,

As mentioned, theres nothing fancy about the fountain pens i picked up and they are a far cry from the ones shared on this thread. But i picked these just to refresh the memory of writing with fountain pens and most probably will lose them in a short while. Heres a pic
20151011_113004-1.jpg
The first one from the left is what i used to write the lines in previous post. Its just plain black with no branding of any sort. Needs to be filled with ink, doesnt come with a filler or cartridge. Paid a full 12 bucks for it :)
The second one is what the shop keeper suggested i buy. It is made by Luxor and came with two free cartridges. This writes really bad for my taste, it puts out a thin line and the ink cartridges it came with are very light coloured too. The nib doesnt have a breather hole just the center line depressed in. Paid 30 bucks for this one.
Next is the uniball UB157 and the jet stream. Both of which i use for my daily writing. The UB157 is a constant with some or the other 'jotter' style of pen to go with it. I like the uniball pens cause i tend to write as fast as my hand can move and these pens are best suited for that i feel. Wish an Indian co starts making pens like these...

Even in the pic i shared in the previous post i wrote how i would write on a regular basis and at the same speed. I guess with fountain pens, it is better to slow down and really focus on each stroke to get the best out of it. Have time on my hands today and may try that out too.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:17 pm

Kshitij, thanks for the pic.

Fountain pens do not have to be expensive or fancy to be good writers.

At first glance, your no name fountain pen looks quite similar to a Montblanc Classic. I still use fountain pens that are filled with an eye dropper or syringe. Could you take a pic of the nib and section and post it here please. Thanks.

Writing by hand, in general, teaches one to think ahead before writing, as opposed to typing on a keyboard that permits mistakes to be edited at a later stage without making a mess. Hence, there is no need to slow down from your usual writing speed when using a fountain pen.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:39 pm

Here you go,
Of the nameless black one
20151011_142252-1.jpg
And of the Luxor one that i didnt like
20151011_142543-1.jpg
I mentioned writing slow as it said to improve cursive writing as one would have more time to form the letters better...

Waiting to see your writing :)
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:24 pm

Writing a little slower than normal may improve hand writing but is not restricted to the use of a fountain pen alone. That is what I was trying to get through. Considering you wrote the above at your normal speed, I don't see why you have to write slower still. That is good hand writing. Will post an example of my chicken scratch.

Thanks for the pics. The Luxor nib is interesting as it has cut-outs in the shoulders one would find in a Pilot Falcon flex nib. Going to get myself one to play with.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Hand cramped up due to 'stage fright' :mrgreen: but it's only marginally better otherwise and often worse.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:46 pm

I dont have much of pen collection and possess one of the worst handwriting , hardly legible by me tend to write short hand with long hand meaning ing is _g. My two possessions other than Mont Blanc ball point,( cheap ball point I buy and loose), are these two Waterman one is Roller point and other is fountain pen.
IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG
http://www.penaddict.com/top-5-pens/
Another link to blog, I am looking for daily use pens