Air pressure for Gypsy King tyres...

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Django
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Django » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:29 am

Pran,

Air filter is must for any engine, but for diesels, the fuel filters are lifeline, often ignored but a cheap insurance for longevity of the injection pump and engine.
N.R.A. member since 1989

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Air pressure for Gypsy King tyres...

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:57 am

The jetting of they Gypsy should be stock and it should not be tampered with, leaner or richer mixture are both bad for engine life and performance, optimum mixture set by the factory is the best reference point, if your engine is unable to burn that mixture it could be due to loose tappets, bad timing or other factors including plugs.
Django,

How is the jetting measured and if there is a figure involved would you know what that optimum mixture is?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Django
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Django » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:07 am

Mack The Knife,

Its best to leave the original factory jetting and not tamper with it in any ways, the factory service manual will be able to tell you or a proper Maruti dealer. The carb spacer and mid range circuits as well as accelerator pump are tuned with the final main jet in mind, the WOT performance is determinal to the final jet size.
N.R.A. member since 1989

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:17 am

Hi Mark and apologies for the tardy reply.
To help narrow down whether you are having reduced mileage due to engine inefficiency or to road friction, every once in a while switch the engine off while driving down a stretch of road, and I think a long, gentle sloping hill is one of the best. Listen to how the drivetrain sounds, and every once in a while remove your hands from the wheel to see if it pulls. If traffic allows, let it slow almost to a stop, some things become more apparent when you slow to almost a walking speed.
This one is going to be difficult because I cannot think of any such stretch without traffic, leave aside good roads.
Make certain you have the proper amount of oil in the transmission, transfer case, and the differentials (both F&R).

Will do that today.
Does yours have locking front hubs? They are a nice feature to have installed if not. The only criticism of them is if you are unfortunate enough to get stuck in mud with them unlocked, then you have to wade out into the mud to lock them but if you get into the habit of locking them if you even have a hint you might need them it is no inconvenience at all.
No front locking hubs on this. I was aware of the getting stuck in mud with an unlocked hub problem but there is another disadvantage that Django poined out a few posts earlier. For the time being I will see if I can get a reasonable fuel economy without them. Incidentally, what are the mileage figures from your Samurai?
Another trick to do, though not recommended to the general populace, is to drive for 20-30 minutes being extremely careful never to use your brakes, then pull over and feel all of the hubs to see if any feel excessively warm.
This one may just be possible when I go fishing next.
Check the alignment, that can also cost an MPG (k/ltr) and they do change on vehicles, especially when used on bumpy roads.
This has been checked and the vehicle isn't pulling to the left or right.
While I'm spending your money, might want to try some newer shocks with higher tire pressure.

What type of shocks. I have heard of elliptical leaf springs being used on Samurais.
Also, what is the factory recommended spark plug gap? For most operations, an increase in the gap of .002 helps mileage but is not recommended if most driving is short trips at slow RPM's.
I haven't the foggiest what the recommended spark plug gap is supposed to be. Django, would you know?
If you have a distributor ignition and a competent mechanic, have the timing advance checked. If you have a timing light I can tell you how to do it yourself, it is somewhat simple once you inderstand what is going on. At the very least, remove the distributor cap and visually inspect the centrifugal advance weights can move freely, a squirt of light oil on them doesn't hurt either. If you have a vacuum advance on the distributor, have that checked for operation and verify it is not leaking.
I have no idea what a timing light is but the mechanic is competent and has the works when it comes to diagnostic tools. Will ask him to do the needful as suggested by you.
Open the hood and look at the running engine at night sometime when it is very dark, if there is any arcing or sparking from the high tension leads you can often see it.

Forgive me for living :roll: :mrgreen: but what are high tension leads?

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:25 am

Django";p="23817 wrote:Mack The Knife,

Its best to leave the original factory jetting and not tamper with it in any ways, the factory service manual will be able to tell you or a proper Maruti dealer. The carb spacer and mid range circuits as well as accelerator pump are tuned with the final main jet in mind, the WOT performance is determinal to the final jet size.
Django,

The mechanic replaced the original carb with a new Esteem 1.3L carb. I think it was Abhijeet who suggested that there could be a difference in the jetting vis-a-vis the Gypsy 1.3L carb and this could possibly be a reason for the lack of fuel efficency.

If both vehicles use the same carb, then I would obviously not like to have the jetting changed.

What does WOT performance mean?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:49 am

Update:

I know I should have waited a bit longer before tanking up the Gypsy again but I was curious.

As you would recall, the earlier mileage reading was 6.11 kmpl, with the tyre pressure measuring 28 PSI.

Today, with tyres inflated at 29 PSI, the vehicle returned a mileage of 7.52 kmpl and this considering that there was a bit of spirited acceleration involved yesterday.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:00 am

Wow, this is getting to be good-Mack The Knife/Django!
A lot of stuff from my misspent youth, being involved in K-1000 and IASC rallies comes to mind.Wish I was there in Blr, could have given you a hands on.
...I gave away my timing light.
Never mind, most mechanics worth their salt will be heavily into diagnostics and instrumntation, no sweat.A timing light is a strobe which is attached to the engine, so as to enable visual confirmation of TDC (top dead center) Hokay, ask your man for a little explanation.
Django-Is it the movie or the musician which inspired your name?
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:23 am

A timing light is a strobe which is attached to the engine, so as to enable visual confirmation of TDC (top dead center) Hokay, ask your man for a little explanation.
Ah, got it now.

Django-Is it the movie or the musician which inspired your name?
Considering he's on a gun forum... Didn't know you were a jazz buff.

Incidentally, Django was my first adult movie, when I was all of three or four years. My aunt managed to get me admitted and the family legend has it that I embarassed her with my comments regarding the kissing scene or something of that sort.

I must buy a copy and see this flick again...for old time's sakes.

Mack The Knife

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:33 am

>what are high tension leads?

Wires that run from the coil to the spark plug or in your case from the distributor to the spark plugs are high tension wires.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:35 am

>Django was my first adult movie, when I was all of three or four years. My aunt managed to get me admitted and the family legend has it that I embarassed her with my comments regarding the kissing scene or something of that sort.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:35 am

Thanks, Pran.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:39 am

>for diesels, the fuel filters are lifeline, often ignored but a cheap insurance for longevity of the injection pump and engine.

Django,
Was unaware of that.But filter the fuel from what? rust/grit from a metallic fuel tank?

Pran

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:47 am

>What does WOT performance mean?

Wide Open Throttle performance.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:53 am

Mack The Knife, in the buff, am into so many buffs, you wont believe it! Thats why retired at 31 to live life .Going Bankrupt at 32 brought me back to realty and the biblical- "...from the sweat of your brow..."
Need those arias and barber of seville on CD's please.Miss a lot of stuff stolen from the Zen, aria tapes, tow ropes, jump cables, imported tools-a while ago in Dubai,the scene at the airport was hilarious-the world and his grandfather was stocking up on ac's and music systems, yours truly was drooling over SS nails and jump cables and other goodies and paying excess baggage for it!
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:06 pm

That's interesting doc.

>...aria tapes

Aria Giovanni?? :lol:

Pran