Shooting in the Indian Context - As a sport and a career

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Shooting in the Indian Context - As a sport and a career

Post by TenX » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Dear Satyam
There is no 'One Prescription' that works best for all.
Several factors can cause advantages/disadvantages to growth in scores and accuracy. And for anyone to give a internet based solution, its extremely difficult. Do post some pics of your stance and target sheets, and I will see what best I can do. I am assuming you have read my book, which has several tips to improve shooting, especially for beginners.
More often than not, beginners tend to pick up a variety of aspects, which may not be required at all. This is because of induced enthusiasm to try and do what any other good shooter does. Because of that, something that works great for me may actually be a handicap to you. Therefore, you have to have enough knowledge in attaining the right stance, technique and rhythm. There are the building blocks. And if they are misplaced, you would have to 'unlearn' them - which does take some effort in firstly identifying the problem, making corrections, etc.
Rome was not built in a day.
I am happy to hear that 8/10 in the black - impressive.
As of now, the best suggestion I can give with limited information is this
"THINK HOW TO GOT HE GOOD SHOT IN THE CENTER OF THE BLACK" Think just that. Dont think why you missed the black etc. This will help you build a good rhythm and convert your scores for the better.

... XXXXXXXXXX
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

For Advertising mail webmaster
satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:50 pm

First see some of my targets when i was practicing with open sight:
refer open sight 1,ope 2,open 3.
40 days ago I got a precihole aperture sight set and the targets look something like this:
refer with_peep_sight,with peep 2
As you will see in with_peep 2 that in one target i have completely missed all shots.This is beyond my understanding.
I have to adjust the sights(i.e. do sighting) every next day.Why?
The gun is .22 caliber and gives more jerk than i guess a .177 would so my follow through is very poor.
I have learnt everything from reading from issf e platform and i have not met any person who is in this field.But i am enjoying the learning process.
I'll post pictures of my stance when i'll shoot tomorrow.
Really thankful for your effort and time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:37 am

Please post your stance pics
I will post in detail in a couple of days
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Though I practice on my terrace i have clicked these pics in my room.
ps:I do not have a very high quality camera
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:25 am

Hey... Back.
After as much as I could analyse from the pics you sent, I am happy about the way you are making notes on time, and other aspects on the target sheet. The next logical step would be to trace them on a X Vs. Y axis graph to plot any possible patterns.
From what I could observe:
1. On a break barrel, a peep sight will eventually not align perfectly. Hence the total grouping misalignment. I have discussed this on another topic on this forum. So live with it. Just keep practicing to get the best 'Sight Picture' context embedded deep into your brains.

2. .22 may be more jerky. Then again... something to live with. What it does bad, is that it will teach you to grip the butt (right grip) tightly, leaving less scope for your trigger finger to operate independently. This is something to 'unlearn' when you shift to a match weapon.

3. Your targets reflect two aspects that need your focus - (a) Follow Thru and (b) Loss of Rhythm. Almost 60% - 70% of your bad shots are because of a (b). So essentially, you have to get into a rhythm for every shot - which would convert into exact repetition of every action (breathing included) and matching exact time, to as much an extent as possible. Do this, and you will see a very good jump in grouping.

4. The trigger jerk is also affecting your shots. You should learn to 'squeeze' the trigger as best as possible. And if you match it well with follow thru, it will be very good. Trust me, it not easy on the air gun model you are using :(

5. Your sighting accuracy is pretty impressive. However, retain focus on fore sight as much as possible. And dont 'expect' the shot. I feel that you are contemplating too much on where you 'think' the pellet will hit, instead of where the gun is aiming.

6. Your stance looks shocking, at least for me! It would be very challenging to hold that posture for long. But if it is working good for you, its great.
But I must warn you that this posture will completely change once you have a proper match gun, and shooting attire. I dont want to comment much, but your weight balance on legs needs improvement;

7. Ditch those flip-flops (shoot bare feet instead!);

8. Dont try too much to rest your elbow on your body (Even resting your triceps should be good enough); A lot cannot be changed with the gun you have and sans jacket/glove (sorry about that!);

9. The head position is a complete NO-NO. Head should be as erect as possible. But this something you cannot change without a proper match gun/jacket/glove.

10. If you are wearing correction glasses, all the more a need to have best parallel plane stance w.r.t. glasses and rear sight. Try adding a blinder to the rear sight.

Guess this is a good list for now. And very importantly, make these changes one by one, spread across days. Note variations, feel your body, your posture and comfort levels. Then bother about scores.

Cheers!
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:44 pm

Thank You very much sir.
I'll try out these tips and tell you the results

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:46 pm

Do you have any post on posture?
Please post the link if possible

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Will reading your book help me chose best posture and learn about all you have talked about?

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:11 pm

satyam wrote:Will reading your book help me chose best posture and learn about all you have talked about?
Yes :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:03 pm

TenX wrote:Your stance looks shocking, at least for me! It would be very challenging to hold that posture for long. But if it is working good for you, its great.
But I must warn you that this posture will completely change once you have a proper match gun, and shooting attire. I dont want to comment much, but your weight balance on legs needs improvement;
Sir,
I tried to choose a new stance today and I was feeling slightly better in it but the gun was walking a bit more than it did in the previous stance.
If you approve of it then I'll practice this from now on.The grouping was satisfactory in context to that i was trying the position for the first time.
Is this the kind of stance I will have to adapt to with a match rifle?
The region enclosed by red is from today's shooting session.
Sir I am using x-ray sheet as blinder.Is it fine?
Last edited by satyam on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi Satyam,
Looks better. Can you post another front facing pic?
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Sir,actually i was alone so could not click front facing pic!

Added in 33 minutes 7 seconds:
TenX wrote:Hi Satyam,
I have tried to recreate the stance in my room.
Hope it can convey some more information.
-Thank You

Added in 1 minute 25 seconds:
Sir,
please tell if its correct or should i make some more amendments.
Very thankful to you.

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 pm

TenX wrote:Hi Satyam,
Sir,
I have posted the pictures of my stance from 2 angles.could you help me with it now,please!!

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:55 pm

Hi Satyam,

Firstly, and very importantly, DO NOT keep your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. While filming and taking pics, ensure that the finger is off the trigger.

Regarding stance...
1. Looks much better and more stable.
2. Try variations of widening the legs, moving them to the front, etc, to see if it will improve on balance.
3. The position is closer to what you may have with a match gun
4. I am unsure if the pellets are a good match for your gun. If u r using wadcutter pellets, the hole punching is not consistent. Also, it may show variations in velocity. Combining this with outdoor winds, some scatter is very much possible. Dont think too deeply on this for now.
5. I strongly feel the front of the gun is dropping in this position. I think there is an inherent front heavy feeling in this position. If you can, use some padding on your palm, about 4-5 mm. When you use gloves, the glove padding will push the front part of the rifle by this much height.
6. X-Ray is fine. But use as small a piece as possible.Just to block the target.
7. A basic problem with break barrel is that position can change with every loading you do. SO, before you begin, when you think you have a good stance, take a chalk and mark your feet position. After reload, get back to this marking.
8. Overall, I think you will do great. Its a matter of practice... thats all.
9. And if possible, try to go thru my book. This is a good time to ensure you get the basics right.

Cheers!
TenX
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:52 pm

TenX wrote:And if possible, try to go thru my book. This is a good time to ensure you get the basics right.
I will get my copy of your book as soon as I am done with my examinations.
I want to thank you sir for all the guidance and help you've given me.
I will try out the variants as suggested by you regarding feet width and gloves.
I'll get a match rifle and start proper training after I give my examinations in march.
Satyam