pictures of Rampuri knives

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
ausjulius
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

pictures of Rampuri knives

Post by ausjulius » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:03 pm

hello folks , im after some pictures of more traditional rampuri knives,
i had some images of these but long lost track of them ,
have you guys got any fotos of the old type with the true gravity action not the flick knives..
p.s. see discussion here
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st10185561 ... basically these things are totally missing from the knife collecting world
regards julius

For Advertising mail webmaster
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Re: pictures of Rampuri knives

Post by Moin. » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:00 pm

I guess there are two types of Rampuri Knives 1) Switch blade/Button Operated 2) With a 5 level step lock/lock back type...
A friend of mine has a few button operated/spring assited types.
I have the second type, brought years ago by my grandfather... The blade is 5"..

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

aji_kappil
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by aji_kappil » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:02 pm

Now See this !!!!

From a Chinese Manufacturer in Alibaba...

http://motorfairing.en.alibaba.com/prod ... nless.html

A Rampuri inspired Chinese Knife.... !!!! Or is it something different ?

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:22 pm

Aji Kappil, that looks like a chinese knock off of the traditional spanish navaja folder. Cold Steel has the Espalanda Folder patterned after the Navaja folder.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Own a few. Will try to post pics sometime.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Rajat,
Please post the pics soon. This thread took me back to my early teens when I started my collection with Rampuris I used to get in Kolkata... gave away all of them once I graduated to the next level and didn't have to wait for pocket money to buy knives...
TC

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Rajat wrote:Own a few. Will try to post pics sometime.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Why am I not surprised..... :mrgreen:

These rampuris used to be available long time back in these knife sharpening shops seliing scissors etc.Don't see them anymore.. Would be interesting to search for these in Mumbai again. There's a huge Frdiay Market in Chor Bazaar after the Friday prayers. I'll try and have a quick looky look tomorrow for some nice Sharp n Shiny Objects.

Regards
Moin.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:26 am

Got lucky today, was at Chor Bazaar in Mumbai looking for knives in the Friday Flea Market. Did'nt find any, but stopped by at one of the tiny hardware stalls seeing some tiny Chinese Folders.

He had some really nice and very old small locally made, RAT Brand Folder, 2-3 inch blades, brought 5-6, INR 35-60 each. On pestering him for larger folders, he very discreetly pulled out two Rampuri's one the Classic Bollywood Switch Blade Type with a 4 inch blade and another nice one with the 5 stage Step Lock. Got both for 300 each. Will post the pics if I can borrow a camera from some one. He's promised some good quality ones and larger sized tomorrow. Will looky look and post pics...

Best Regards
Moin.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Ok, here is mine... gifted by the 'Big Gun' himself with love... !

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:26 pm

The first are the switch blade types, two with large 6 inch blades and the smaller one with 4.

Best Regards
Moin.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Nice ones there !!!! :cheers:

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:45 pm

Nice pictures gentlemen, thanks for posting them!

I have an old hand made dagger that is about 130 years old that sometime I will dig up and take some pics of. I really enjoy seeing how different local people make different styles in different places.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:47 pm

Thank you Olly and Mark, luckily found some new ones in Mumbai, impossible to source these. Paid a heavy premium (INR 1000-1200) for the large 6 inch ones). An intersting article on this dying craft

http://www.topnews.in/famed-rampuri-kni ... ion-296417

Regards
Moin.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:35 am

It would be interesting to research on the origins of the Rampuri knife. The step lock mechanism and the folder itself Rampuri bears a starking resemblance to the Navaja Folder,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navaja

(Ref: The two last pics I have posted above to show the locking mechanism)

During the first part of the 18th century, the blade heel and backspring of the navaja were cleverly altered to provide a locking device for the blade.[8] Pulling open the blade from the handle, the lock allowed the blade to rotate into the fully open position, where it locked into position. The locking mechanism itself consisted of pinion teeth (piñones or muelles) cut into the blade heel (hoja con talón) that are engaged by a lug attached to either the backspring or a separate spring-loaded metal latch as the knife is opened.[9] The last pinion tooth serves to keep the blade locked in its fully opened position.[9] The ratcheting-tooth lock-blade navaja was commonly referred to as a navaja de muelles or navaja de siete muelles. The metal-to-metal contact produces a distinctive clicking sound when the blade is opened, and the navaja de muelles was popularly termed the carraca in consequence

Best Regards
Moin.

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:47 am

Sorry guys, Moin, TC for delaying this. The pictures and uploads etc.... boring stuff you know

The pictures being posted now are in keeping with Moin's demand in another thread :D

As promised here are the pictures of the Rampuri knives I own:

The knife below is not really a Rampuri but is of similar local Indian origins. Thought it would be interesting :

Except for the last image the above are original Rampuris owned by me for the last many years. Even after so many years and no maintenance the switchblades still open smoothly with a loud click.