Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:00 pm

30 degrees is OK! My advice to you, is dont score every day, concentrate on the basics, however boring, then challenge yourself for two back to back sessions once a week.
:cheers:

For Advertising mail webmaster
jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:55 am

will do. what do u mean by back to back. is it twice on the same day or two days in a rwo
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:24 am

One session followed by another, over two days.

-- Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:47 pm --

Lesson No.6 AIming Area
In the ISSFAir Pistol event the majority of shooters aim between the black (bull) and the bottom edge of the target. Approximately around the 4th ring.
It is not recommended to aim in the black or keeping the edge of the sights close to the black, for the following reasons;
1. Since the sights are black, it is not recommended to aim at the black, since alignment disturbance may not be easily distinguishable.
2. Some shooters aim at the bottom edge of the black. Once again, the sights being black, the alignment of the top edge of the front sight with that of the rear gets disturbed, causing the shot to either go up or down.
The beginner must realize and quickly, that the aiming area is just that - an area not a POINT. NO HUMAN can keep his sights aligned and hold dead steady on a point. But all beginners try and do just that! They wait and wait for the sights to come RIGHT on the POINT and then they JAB at the trigger, causing a bad shot.
It is best to ACCEPT your arc of movement, continue positive pressure on the trigger, while keeping the aligned sights within the aiming area, even after the shot is released.
For the beginner, an 8th ring arc of movement should be good enough. With practice, the arc of movement reduces to the 9th ring.

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:20 pm

hey hvj my pattern presently is that most shots land in 8 ring with a few in 9 and 10 but invariably 1/2 in very ten go some where haywire (7/6). i have been trying to aim at the 6 ring. do u advise that 4 would be better. also pl advice whether a beginner should shoot a complete 600 round or should restrict to 400 session
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:58 pm

The flyers, 7th & 6th ring occur down or else where? Whether 60 shot or 40 shot, what matters is how much rest you are taking between shot to shot or between a series of shots. For a beginner, this is important, since the body, shoulders, arms, hand, gripping thumb, fingers do not have the necessary strength to keep shooting without relaxing your grip for more than 2 to 3 shots.
Regards

tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tingriman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks again hvj1,

Many silent readers here..... :D

regards,
tingriman

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Always welcome Tingriman

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm

have checked the cards where i have scored well(85 & above) the flyers invariably are on the rt side. presently i am shooting 40 shots only. will start shooting twice a week as advised by u. what does one do rest of the week. figure of 8 ex or anything more. also pl advise on aiming at 4 or 6
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:48 pm

Jitu
1.Invert the pistol, check whether the shoe of the trigger is in the same plane as the pistol body. I mean that the trigger shoe is not twisted to the right.
2. If the trigger shoe is ok, then, is the trigger placing on the trigger precisely at right angle on the trigger?
3. Are you pulling the trigger straight back in a line or perhaps dragging to the right?
Regarding your practice, what I meant was that you should score only in back to back session, rest of the week, you must practice figure of 8 and other exercises which I will be discussiong shortly.
Regards

-- Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:48 pm --

Lesson No.7 Box Drills
Before I proceed to discuss a few exercises for the beginner, to improve his skills, it is important for the shooter, to understand the concept of the Box Drills.
1. Please refer to the attached file, I am afraid, my computer has not been able to reproduce what I want perfectly, however, buy a square lined maths notebook used by the std 1 or 2.
2. In the margin, you initial the element that you wish to improve, in the example, S.A. stands for sight alignment.
3. This is how the exercise is performed: Point your aligned sights at a blank air pistol target (white side).
4. Your goal, is to maintain good steady sight alignment for 6 to 7 seconds.
5. If you have achieved this, give yourself a tick mark, otherwise a cross.
6. At the end of a practice session, count the number of tick marks (NEVER the CROSS) and divide by the total repetitions to arrive at the percentage.
7. At the end of the session, you have QUANTIFIED your inputs.
8. Though you are judging yourself,You must be reasonably strict with your self.
9. For the beginner, ALWAYS TAKE ONE ELEMENT AT A TIME.
10. Achieve 100% before mastering the next element under new conditions.
The above exercise discussed above is Homework for you (Jitu) for the rest of the week.PLEASE DO NOT shoot live till you achieve 100%.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:42 am

aye aye sir. will get the math book and start
jitu

-- Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:43 am --

hey hvj one small doubt. should one continue the figure 8 ex while doing this box drill
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:01 am

Jitu
If you combine sight alignment with figure of 8 in Box Drill, you will get even better results.
Regards

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:08 am

will do both and submit my results for your perusal sir
jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:07 am

hey hvj
this does not seem very simple. if am really strict then i am unable to cross even 40%. hope it is normal. with practice that should slowly rise.
one silly query what is the white of the ap tgt. is it below the bull or is it the reverse side
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 am

I am extremely happy to know that you are unable to cross 40%. Now you will come face to face with the beauty of shooting, since it will now question your own self.

Kuch milon ke fasle par
ab aye ho us mode par
nazarein dalo us surat par
jo hai aaine ke undar.
Duniye ke liye to woh hai zaroor
lekin tumhari zameer
ko karti hai majboor
Jhank ke dekhon, lekin bina guroor
Khud ko pehchanon zaroor.
Rehjaoge nahinto zindagi me gumrah
Pukaarte rahoge, Kahan hai Khuda?
Na manzil na mukaam paaenge,
Yoon fasle katthe rehjayenge.

You are on the right path. phodat raha dagad, rasta appo aap tayyar huil.
AP target reverse side. There are no SILLY QUERIES, never flinch from asking qustions, however silly them may seem, this will help you to get answers which definitely will AVOID silly mistakes.
Best Regards

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:58 pm

aye aye sir. the motto has always been lage raho munnabhai. lets see how long the good score evades me
jitu