Nothing to Silver to GOLD! .. Responses please..

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:08 pm

From Abhinav Bindra's blog at http://abhinavbindra.blogspot.com/

"
They have all been telling me what a huge achievement winning Gold is. I realise that but frankly the enormity of the goodwill generated has caught me by surprise. Honestly enough it really has not changed me, I am still the same Abhinav who just a day ago was hanging around alone in my room in the Olympic village. Frankly, all the attention is a bit overwhelming. I am not much good at making loud public pronouncements. That in no way means that this is not the most intense experience of my life.
For more than a decade now my life has been all about my sport. In fact, I do not have a life beyond the confines of the 10m range. I have had a range built in my own home to cut down any possibility of distraction and to be able to practise my sport whenever the fancy strikes me. It all did pay off, didn't it?
It has all still not sunk in. I will post more once the feeling settles.
I ran away from all the media and official attention yesterday after I had done the bit I had do in keeping with my new-found status. Instead I chose to go to a quiet dinner with some friends.
I would like to reiterate that everyone who represents India at the Olympic Games has put in years of toil and sweat. I ask the Indian people to support our athletes more. It is fine to celebrate our achievements but it is just as important to keep up the backing when we are not on top of our game.
It is important for India to do better at Olympic sport as these are the true measure of a nation's sporting depth. I wish more private initiatives come up with corporate support apart from the backing of the government. The joy that the nation feels at my win is humbling. I just wish that this is repeated more and more often.
With our depth of talent and expanse of people I firmly believe India can be a world-class sporting power. What we need are precise systems. I will try to do my bit at grooming the next generation. I would like to appeal to each Indian to also do their bit in prodding us out of sporting complacency.
"
Damn good, I say :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

For Advertising mail webmaster
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:11 am

I posted this comment in Abhinav's Blog:
"...to add the heartiest congrats from all the well wishers at IFG (IndiansForGuns) -
http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=4382
and
http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=4380 "
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:32 am

Copied below cite from another topic discussing 'The Bindras are also planning to open offices all around the country, including Delhi, Bangalore, Bhopal, Chennai and Kolkata, with regard to Abhinav starting to be a Walther dealer in India...'.

I also heard that Walther was sponsoring him Air Rifles since 2001, for his shooting.
All said and done, more attention is better because:
1. More players will open shop, looking at a rising market.
2. Shops can be converted into manufacturing/assembly - the way it happened in cars industry.
3. Localites may pick up scent and make cheaper look alikes, etc.
4. Sponsorship for events/assocoations/individuals will pick up.
5. More involvement gives more attention gives more money in the game, which is so much needed.

I can see ads of resorts which only included rappling and rafting, now advertising "Come for a weekend of fun for your family, at our resort cum range"
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:03 am

....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

ai

Post by ai » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:17 am

Unlike citizens in sporting nations, most Indians can only whine or give unsolicited advise, instead of doing something to sort out the situation. That is why things remain the same. How many of us even thought about Monica after Abhinav won his medal? If even half, or even quarter, of this nation had recognized her omission from the Olympics as a more significant event than a gold medal won, this nation would have been called a 'sporting nation'. Medals follow as a byproduct of making a ‘sporting nation’. Abhinav or someone else might have won a medal in the next or the next Olympics, but it is fair to assume Monica is not going for any more Olympics. If you or your children are related to competitive sports as past or present players, imagine yourself in her place! I’ve experienced this situation personally, and it IS traumatic. Post the euphoria, come to think of it, one odd medal by itself means nothing, absolutely nothing for a nation with 1/5th the world's population keeping in mind the existing potential. I say this vociferously because I know that nobody in India can make an iota of a claim to have contributed to that medal. Abhinav’s Indian coach Col. Dhillon is not really a part of the ‘sports system’- he simply does his coaching with dedication (I know since he was my colleague at Yadavindra Public School, Chandigarh), and the other significant person- Mr. Harold Carver, Principal of St. Stephen’s School who left no stone unturned in encouraging Abhinav, which is same for any other student of his school, is part of the education system, not the sports system, and even then has contributed to both. I’ve been closely associated with his school’s sports for over a year, so I know.

Abhinav simply happens to have been born in India, fortunately for India! How fortunate is that for any other sportsperson in this country?

I can make these sweeping, generalized statements because I happen to be one of those who can take a stand and fight the system. I am India's highest qualified squash coach and have produced some of the best squash players this country has ever seen- one of them is currently ranked no-3 in European Squash Federation, and he with another ex-trainee of mine are no-2 and no-1 players for the Indian junior team that stood 4th in the World Junior championship this month at Zurich. Yet, I have been sidelined by the squash federation and the buffoon who runs it (incidentally rewarded by being appointed a consultant for new hockey setup!). I've stood my ground and filed a PIL in Delhi High Court for preventing atrocities on our squash players (harassment of our best players- Joshna Chinappa and Dipika Pallikal have been reported in the press elaborately).

It so happens that a potential turning point has now come through a shooter. I happen to be in this forum (IFG) where this precise article has appeared. I also am a good shot and have been interested in shooting since 30 years (I'm 36, and started at 5-6 years of age), hence am on this forum. It is also noteworthy that this forum clearly has some members who can think straight and can at least speak about issues.

If some members can get together, perhaps we can start a movement towards sorting out Indian sports, instead of just complaining about it. Lets have an expression of interest first, and then consider possibilities. I have a plan by the way, but it will take fine tuning, conviction, networking, money, lawyers, media involvement, influence and all relevant resources to pull through. Anyone joining?

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:58 am

Great write AI, and I will not stop at that. This is precisely the reason why I started this thread, to get in everybody's views. I believe that there is great strength in unity (No ONE of us is stronger than ALL of us), and would like more numbers to be in alignment towards a common consensus - 'Better Indian Sporting'.
We need to remove Red Tapism, Neta-rule, increase Talent recognition and talent pool. Since a majority (if not all) of the public are discouraged by this netagiri and feeding-around-the-head concept, the awareness as well as importance to sports is lost. I agree that we, together as a team, can be a background action in bettering this aware-ness-talent upbringing curve.
Please include me for whatever little contribution I can make, but rest assured, it will be with the most positive and assertive notion :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

ai

Post by ai » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:14 pm

Thanks. Kindly detail what contribution you are in a position to make, preferably in one of the specific areas listed in my last paragraph.

We all know what is required theoratically. To make any difference, we will need a very specific and well coordinated effort.

Once we have a group of people, I will describe what we are up against, and how we can possibly make a difference.

To begin with, we need a media honcho who will agree to cover our effort in a sustained manner. One of the TOI reporter/editor who wrote an article recently, saying the sports system needs a change etc has not replied to my email pointing him to these posts on IFG. Perhaps he has not seen my email or is busy, or this is part of what we are up against- people who know what ought to be done, will speak about it, but may not be willing to translate their views into concrete action. I don't blame them. We are Davids against Goliath. And remember the first lines I wrote- "Unlike citizens in sporting nations, most Indians can only whine or give unsolicited advise, instead of doing something to sort out the situation. That is why things remain the same."!!!

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:29 pm

fine tuning (Yes), conviction(Yes), networking(Yes), money(Maybe), lawyers, media involvement(Yes), influence(Yes) and all relevant resources.
My involvement mentioned above.
Also, would it be better to give a jist of the plan, to attract more attention and involvement. I dont know many people would would oblige (like me) without knowing the plan...
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

ai

Post by ai » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Here is the jist, or rather list of things to do-

1. Prepare an analysis of the existing situation, even though we know what it is. This will give us a fix on what exactly are the areas we can target. Make a list of objectives in order of priority. These will include- (A) bringing about legislative changes of moving Sports from State list to Concurrent list. Remember, Sunil Dutt and Mani Shankar Iyer failed here. (B) Get the Ministry of Education and HR to include Sports in Curriculum of schools/colleges. (c) Get the finance Ministry to provide incentives like 100 plus% rebate in tax on funds spent by corporates towards sports. Other objectives too aggressive to mention here, but will discuss when appropriate.

2. Get a media honcho to agree in principle to cover our effort, ideally through a weekly publish/telecast. This will put required pressure on the concerned decision makers- legislature and judiciary to make pending decisions. This will get us the much needed support from those affected by the shoddy system. We may even get corporate support.

3. Once media coverage is enlisted, create a website to invite details of pending sports cases in various courts- I know of over 25! Invite affected sportspersons to list their grievances, express interest in joining us, and express consent to giving affidavits when required. Highlight this website in the media.

4. Petition the Supreme Court to amalgamate all sports cases into the PIL we file. Make relevant specific prayers. PIL will include parallels from developed countries. PIL will ask for accountability for funding by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) to National Sports Federations (NSFs). I know how it is channelized! Invoke RTI for exposing how funds are routed! Some RTI applications are already filed in my cases. For instance, the current GOI Observer for Squash is also a paid executive committee member of the squash federation- can you believe that? This is despite the fact that this Observer was earlier an Observer as well before being removed, then now reinstated, besides being an exe. Committee member, AND THE FACT BEING PROMINENTLY HIGHLIGHTED IN OUR PETITIONS IN DELHI HIGH COURT. Cheeky? Mind boggling? We have asked for details under RTI from MYAS.

5. Sustain the campaign until objectives achieved.

I hope that suffices for anyone considering contributing. Obviously, there is more to the plan. I have some contacts who can contribute- especially some sports personalities. I have a good Supreme Court lawyer who is reliable (my other lawyers got paid off, especially their junior lawyers, by my respondents! Just mentioning to ensure everyone knows what we are up against).

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:12 pm

For many, this may sound something over the line to comprehend, but in my opinion, it seemd like a worthwhile thing to do :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

ai

Post by ai » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:28 pm

It is worthwhile if eventually it can gather momentum. By the way, we have a lawyer who is reading and examining this stuff. TenX, lets not forget that we live in a nation where many people are quite 'adjusting' so long as they don't feel uncomfortable, so if not many join for want of motivation, that's fine. At least we can try and get everyone a better deal. Amongst us are several fighter who just need to come together.

b.baracho
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Nothing to Silver to GOLD! .. Responses please..

Post by b.baracho » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:45 pm

way to go AI :D :D :D

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:31 pm

Totally agree. I say, again, No ONE of us is stronger than ALL of us :)

(I love this saying, and will repeat it quite often, please 'adjust')
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------