Training for Beijing Olympics

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
shahid

Training for Beijing Olympics

Post by shahid » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:04 pm

In spite of this heat, ambient temperature soaring over 40 degrees centigrade, the UAE trap and skeet shooting team is training hard.

Jebel Ali Shooting club is very close to my office with an excellent club house. yesterday I went there for a rather late lunch at 4 PM.

The current Olympic Gold medal holder in Double trap, Sheikh Ahmed was on the range with his American coach. He is training 4 to 5 hours every day despite this energy sapping heat.

He asked me to come and shoot with him. I said am not dressed properly, nor do I have my shooting glasses, ear muffs and shooting vest. He said come lets shoot anyway.

I took up the 29 1/2 inch barrel Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore and shot 2 rounds of trap.

Sheikh Ahmad scored a perfect 50 kills. With his 12 bore gun and cartridges
In 50 shots I got 43 birds - far too low for competition scores. I was useing Rio 24 gram 71/2 trap load.

Sheikh Ahmed wanted a 30 minte break before continueing his practise. After a glass of Diet Coke each with crushed ice we relaxed on the adjoining sporting clays range by shooting some rabbits and flushing teals. Both of us landed perfect scores where we took about 12 to 15 shots each ( no scorer was there for actual count ).

On the other range Sheikh Saeed and the UAE skeet team were practising hard and constantly ringing up scores of 22 to 25 per round on the skeet range. It was windy, some low house birds were being missed but otherwise these guys land up perfect scores most times.

Their coach was also working very hard with the team.

With their dedication towards excellence even in this heat the team is poised to do well. The UAE skeet team too finished in the top 10 / 12 in individual and team skeet events. Lets hope for the best.

The Kuwait skeet team is due to visit our club soon for friendly matches and more practise.

For Advertising mail webmaster
b.baracho
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by b.baracho » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:39 pm

I hope to see our country do well this time.
Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. -P.Rod-

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Training for Beijing Olympics

Post by msandhu » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:46 am

Our sportsmen have three main handicaps
1) Lack of facilities
2) Strict, unreasonable rules,regulations and restriction on guns
3) High cost of equipment
We can only blame our govt. for this pathetic situation
despite all these hurdles, some sportsmen do well based on only their own determination and hard work
Cheers
MSandhu

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:59 pm

and despite the attitude of the government, individuals produce world record beating results. i wonder how much better we could do if the government was just a little bit more reasonable

rajat

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:06 pm

maybe its time to form a separate non government org.?

who understand and help the upcoming shooters to reach the heights that the NRAI can not and unable to.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:30 pm

nagarifle";p="46128 wrote:maybe its time to form a separate non government org.?

who understand and help the upcoming shooters to reach the heights that the NRAI can not and unable to.
Ya maybe a well funded org. that will partially bear the expense of serious potentials outside the country and bring them back at the right moment... who knows some benevolent trust that will award 'shooting scholarships' for very promising individuals? :mrgreen:

...of course then the babu will reason "see? we're doing ok inspite of the restrictions. Really no need for any relaxation. Now go on son...you'll get along somehow..." :)
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:56 pm

cottage cheese";p="46132 wrote: [

...of course then the babu will reason "see? we're doing ok inspite of the restrictions. Really no need for any relaxation. Now go on son...you'll get along somehow..." :)
so CC what ur saying is dammed if u do and dammed if u do not? :D

restrictions, i believe can be dealt via political pressure on the government via the local political babus. 8)

since we in India do not have a NGO who are for shooting sports. so no pressure is put on the government.

what we need is something like American NRA, founded for the shooter and funded by the shooters, to help the shooters, with lea gel and shooting issues.. :lol:

NRAI as we all know caters for the top shooters and not the grass root level ones, they do not speak for u and me. :?

so i purpose that we all vote CC as our 1st Secretary of the guns united club. :D :lol: :D
Nagarifle

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:21 pm

For any sport to flourish all the right things have to come to order in the right order. The problems that plague the third world countries is that Govt expenditure is not in line with the needs of the people. The Neta-Babu combine spends money all in the wrong places and sports is just one casualty. What we need is less Govt interference in everything and let the "market" forces drive development and achievement.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:57 pm

nagarifle";p="46134 wrote: so i purpose that we all vote CC as our 1st Secretary of the guns united club. :D :lol: :D
:mrgreen:

That'll be the day when they allow Uzi's in the Olympics. :)
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:07 pm

D[/quote]

:mrgreen:

That'll be the day when they allow Uzi's in the Olympics. :)
[/quote]

sounds good Dear Sectary
Nagarifle

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Training for Beijing Olympics

Post by TenX » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:15 pm

I think that India also has a serious dearth of Talent Recognizers (and I mean in almost all sports). It would be good for such centrally nominated guys to source the right talent among the big population we have.
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:18 pm

TenX";p="46520 wrote: I think that India also has a serious dearth of Talent Recognizers (and I mean in almost all sports). It would be good for such centrally nominated guys to source the right talent among the big population we have.
how true, not much time or money spent at the root level to find and train them in the sport. Maybe Tata does some work. but more is needed.
Nagarifle

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:38 am

will it be possible to get an autograph (addressed to me)?
will stick it next to rajyawardhan's. top 2 in athens dt.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.