1000 yards shooting!!

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: 1000 yards shooting!!

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Baljit,
> Amazing shooting brother :D
> I agree that wind velocity & direction + mirage play a big part in shooting at 1000yds - Yet you have done WELL :D
> Just for my info. what weights of bullets do you use while shooting at these distances?
> Are they factory ammo or hand filled by you?
> One last question - While shooting at 1000yds, do you zero at a particular distance & then hold over or sight your scope at the exact distance of your target?
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
buckstix
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by buckstix » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:49 pm

Hello Baljit,

Nice topic. I shoot out to 1000 yds in NRA competition here in Wisconsin. I got your PM, but because I am a new subscriber, sending PMs does not work for me yet.
Last edited by buckstix on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:14 am

Kumarnishith,bennedose and brihacharan ji.Thank you very much for you feedback.

bennedose...... No we did not put any warning signs behind the target because road keep going for other 80 yards or so then closed.We put that red streamer so we can see through the scope where is end of the road. The frame around 15 lbs and plate just under 100 lbs heavy.

Mion.......I wish i can break 2000 yards barrier but now,I am very seriously thinking about 338 LM so i can reach that distances? .Never know, anything possible with right "TOY"and ammo.

brihacharan ji..........I use 180gn boat tail bullet also i reload my own ammo because this is the only way that you can find the accurate ammo and get a good accuracy from the rifle.
If you read all post i mension that we start out from 200 yards and work all the way up to 1000 yards.When i reach 1000 yards distances first i fire few shoot on 10x13 plate to make sure my scope are zero at that distances,after that i shoot a big plate.If you look really good in one of the picture"view through my scope" you can see there is a other plate on left side of the big plate,i zero my scope on that plate first with few rounds.When i hit that small plate then i shift my self to big plate.

Baljit

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:56 am

Baljit this may sound like a silly question. How do you know you have hit the plate - by the clanging sound? Or do you use the spotting scope - although after 4-5 hits it would be difficult to say where you hit by simply spotting

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:12 am

bennedose wrote:Baljit use the spotting scope - although after 4-5 hits it would be difficult to say where you hit by simply spotting
This
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:18 am

Wow Baljit,

That's outstanding shooting ! I've done some long range hunting but nothing close to the distance you've managed these results at ! I missed a huge wild goat at 400 mts by the way !
And thanks so much for the detailed report - truly inspiring stuff mate.
Regards,

Oggie
PS: If you're ever down under the under then do look us up. Will be a pleasure to take you out on a hunt.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:08 am

Baljit wrote: brihacharan ji..........I use 180gn boat tail bullet also i reload my own ammo because this is the only way that you can find the accurate ammo and get a good accuracy from the rifle.
If you read all post i mention that we start out from 200 yards and work all the way up to 1000 yards.When i reach 1000 yards distances first i fire few shoot on 10x13 plate to make sure my scope are zero at that distances,after that i shoot a big plate.If you look really good in one of the picture"view through my scope" you can see there is a other plate on left side of the big plate,i zero my scope on that plate first with few rounds.When i hit that small plate then i shift my self to big plate.
Baljit
> Thanks Baljit for the explanation :D
> BTW - Apart from the accurate weapon, the right ammo, checking on the wind direction & of-course your steady hands & skill - I think there's one more "Element" that has contributed to your 'great achievement' .....
> "THOSE YUMMY / JUICY SAUSAGES" you were grilling ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
> Now I'm eagerly waiting for those 1500 & 2000yds shots :D
> Good Luck!!!
Briha

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:53 am

Hahaha... thank you very much Haji.

Oggie....Thank you very much .I do like to visit New Zealand and Aaustralia one day.We do have family friends in Australia, they are coming to Canada next year.

Briha ji .....Thank you very much.I wish all of you guy's can join me with on those sausages and shooting.

Thank you very much guy's. Love you all

Baljit

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:51 am

Hi Baljit,

Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures in detail. Excellent marksmanship! :clap:

I admire the meticulous planning and preparation that must have gone into this outing. Looks like lots of hard work - lugging those heavy plates around on such a warm day? Wonderful to see you and Ben enjoying yourselves; those Smokies look delicious (Cheddar & Jalapeno Smokies are my favourite)! :D

It was fantastic to have met up with you this afternoon for lunch at C-Lovers Fish&Chips! :cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Wow Baljit, wish we had got more tips out from you.
I doubt that I could see a target that far even ;-).
Fab place to shoot in.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Congratulations Baljit, great shooting.

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:52 am

CK,Yes indeed It was great met up with you again on the lunch at C-Lovers Fish&Chips with cold beer in Surrey.

dev.. Thank you very much for your feedback.

The Doc.... Thank you very much.

Baljit

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:56 pm

Conspiracy to beat Baljit's record started at some undisclosed place !!! :D !!!

Out of factory, no upgrades but simple scope and little tuning the trigger. A-Bolt 300 Win Mag

Will give you 1 inch group at 100 yards from bench rest.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Hammerhead wrote:Conspiracy to beat Baljit's record started at some undisclosed place !!! :D !!!

Out of factory, no upgrades but simple scope and little tuning the trigger. A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
[ Image ]
Will give you 1 inch group at 100 yards from bench rest.
[ Image ]
> Looks like a 'conspiracy well executed' :D
> The Win - 300 Mag look stunning!
> BTW - 'Will give you 1 inch group at 100 yards from bench rest' - Is it 100 or 1000yds?
Briha

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Briha ji it's 100.

Little more practice and patience any one can beat Baljit ........... in and around some 10 years !!!

Going for Moose hunting this year, so it's good as gold now - Haji