1000 yards shooting!!

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

1000 yards shooting!!

Post by Baljit » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:47 am

Hello Guy’s, I had a long chat with XL on the phone and he wants me to post 1000 yards shooting report for all of you. XL this is for you.

As I said couple of month ago in my post “very soon all of you guy’s going to see 1000 yards shooting report” from me. So Here I am with that report for all of you.

June 30th (Sunday)
Middle of June Ben (My fellow worker and my student who learn long range shooting from me) and I made a plan to do some long range shooting on June 30 to test our skills. We pick the date June 30 is best for us because it’s Sunday and we had a Monday off from the work.

Ben comes to my place 7:30AM and we have a really good breakfast together made by my wife. On the table Ben told me that he have two different places to go for long range shooting ,one very close from my place and the other one deep in to the mountains but very safe place to shoot up to 1200 Yards.

We pick the second one because we are going to shoot 1000 yards. It’s about 80KM deep in to the mountains.After breakfast we pack lots of water, cock, Smokey for the lunch and BBQ, of course guns and ammo as well. Around 8:30AM both of us left the house.

After 20KM drive we take the off road to that mountain. Other Hrs. drive takes us to that mountain, where we want to go.Around 10:00AM we are top of the mountains, when we arrived there, on first site I said to Ben “this is the place we need” for long range shooting.

We start out at 200 yards to make sure our guns are zero before we start shooting at long range.

Here are the up range picture
Here are the down range pictures
Here is some info.
Temp.28.6 C,
Humid.36.8,
Altitude 4653.07 Ft.
Pressure 14.7503 PSI
Wind SE 8.64 KMH with 143.4 Angle at shooting table.
Wind SE 7.70KMH at 1000 yards target.
Ammo for the day.
In next picture Ben shooting his Sako 7MM Rem.Mag. at 200 yards to make sure the scope are zero before he start shooting long range.
After shooting at 200 yards both of us keep moving for long range.In next pictures you guys can see that 10x13" plate we shoot from 700 yards.
Here Ben with my long range toy and he is shooting at 700 yards.
Here is 10x13 plate at 700 yards but later on same plate we are going to shoot from 900 Yards.
After we shoot at 700 yards, we decide that let’s have a lunch and take a short break.in next few pictures you guys can see we have a lunch but during the break Ben pull his bow out from the truck to do some practice.
In next few pictures you guys can see Ben and his bow and both of us did some practice with it.
Ben doing practice with his bow.
Here I am with his bow.it's lot's of fun to shoot this.
After all of this we decide let's move back to real toy's. We went down range to put our 1000 yards target and we move our self-back 200 yards, now the plate we shoot from 700 yards the same plate now at 900 yards.
Here is a pictures of the target at 1000 yards.It's 20x24" and 100 LB heavy plate.
Here is a down range view now.
Here is a view at 1000 yards target through the spotting scope.
Here is same view through my scope.
Here is my toy ready for really long range.
Here is my view to the target.
Here is the same 10x13" plate we shoot from 700 yards but now you guy's can see new hits on the plate from 900 yards.
Here is my target at 1000 yards. you guy's can see there is 9 hits on the plate.I fired 10 rounds but i hit 9 out of 10 because i miss calculate the wind. 3 rounds bottom right because these are my first 4 round i fire at 1000 yards,after this i make my adjustment on the scope and i fire 6 more round.You guy's can see there is three rounds hit on right side of that black round cercal and three on left side.
Here is Ben with his hits on the target from 1000 yards.He fired 20 rounds of factory ammo and hit 7 on the target.

I hope all of guy's going to enjoy these pictures.Now my next target is 1500 yards shooting,it's hard but not impossible and i am thinking to getting a 338 LM for this.

I don't know when it's going to be but for sure one day and i will post that report all of you guy's as well.

Enjoy
Baljit
Last edited by Baljit on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: 1000 yards shooting!!

Post by Hammerhead » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 am

Noooooooo ..... :twisted:

Edit: Moin, Precision shooting actually is mixture of many things. Baljit can explain better but any shooting either 10 meter air gun or trap or skeet including shooting black powder guns, all take lots of patience and practice, you are not new. So I believe given the opportunity, proper training and lots of practice will get you some where close - Haji
Last edited by Hammerhead on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:48 am

Fantastic Shooting Pa'aji. I've only read of over 2 kms range sniper shots but again these are all highly trained military snipers. How much of this kind of long range shooting would you say is training and technique and how much would you attribute this to the rifle ammunition and scope. Do you also use equipment such as range finders ballistic calculators etc for your shots. How much difference to your shooting a normal bolt action rifle with a scope make at these kinds of distances.

I had seen a documentary on american special forces where the sniper actually slow down his heart rate and shoots in between the heart beat.Ive also read that the snipers from Marines are considered the best amongst the amercian military, why is that these are from an infantry unit like the marines and not from the SFOD Delta which pride in their ultra precision marksmanship or units such as the Green Berets or the US Navy Seals.

P.S: Thats a beautiful place to shoot Pa'aji.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 am

Absolutely amazing shooting Baljit.
It looks like Ben did quite well with just a standard hunting rifle. Well taught, Baljit.
How much of this kind of long range shooting would you say is training and technique and how much would you attribute this to the rifle ammunition and scope.
Moin,
When shooting at 1000 yards, there are so many factors that you have to consider. Wind and Mirage are just two of them. Being able to read the mirage to get wind direction and speed is a learned skill. You can give an average shooter the best equipment and he probably won't do as well as a good shot with average equipment. Just putting the crosshairs on the bull and pulling the trigger will probably not get you anywhere if you don't know what you are doing.
Remember that Baljit is shooting handloads and working up loads for a particular rifle can be a painstaking process. It also requires skill and experience apart from just knowing how to construct a loaded cartridge. What you are looking at is years of experience and dedication paying off. I know a lot of shooters but apart from Baljit, I don't know anyone else who shoots at 1000 yards as not many can do it consistently.

Frankly, I don't think I could hit the plate at 1000 yards, even using Baljit's equipment. I don't know because I've never done it. If you look at Baljit's three groups (not sure of the measurements) but they look seriously sub-MOA.
Ive also read that the snipers from Marines are considered the best amongst the amercian military, why is that these are from an infantry unit like the marines and not from the SFOD Delta which pride in their ultra precision marksmanship or units such as the Green Berets or the US Navy Seals.
Don't let a Marine hear you call him an "ordinary" infantryman. US Marines were the original Special Forces. They take great pride in their training and call ordinary Army infantrymen "Doggies". They consider the Army good enough to fill their lines after they have taken the ground and stabilized the situation. Marksmanship is important to the Marines, every Marine is a rifleman, even the cooks and the clerks. Delta, SEALS, etc may have a higher level of specialized training but generally they don't talk about their exploits.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:09 pm

xl_target wrote:Absolutely amazing shooting Baljit.
It looks like Ben did quite well with just a standard hunting rifle. Well taught, Baljit.
How much of this kind of long range shooting would you say is training and technique and how much would you attribute this to the rifle ammunition and scope.
Moin,
When shooting at 1000 yards, there are so many factors that you have to consider. Wind and Mirage are just two of them. Being able to read the mirage to get wind direction and speed is a learned skill. You can give an average shooter the best equipment and he probably won't do as well as a good shot with average equipment. Just putting the crosshairs on the bull and pulling the trigger will probably not get you anywhere if you don't know what you are doing.
Remember that Baljit is shooting handloads and working up loads for a particular rifle can be a painstaking process. It also requires skill and experience apart from just knowing how to construct a loaded cartridge. What you are looking at is years of experience and dedication paying off. I know a lot of shooters but apart from Baljit, I don't know anyone else who shoots at 1000 yards as not many can do it consistently.

Frankly, I don't think I could hit the plate at 1000 yards, even using Baljit's equipment. I don't know because I've never done it. If you look at Baljit's three groups (not sure of the measurements) but they look seriously sub-MOA.
Ive also read that the snipers from Marines are considered the best amongst the amercian military, why is that these are from an infantry unit like the marines and not from the SFOD Delta which pride in their ultra precision marksmanship or units such as the Green Berets or the US Navy Seals.
Don't let a Marine hear you call him an "ordinary" infantryman. US Marines were the original Special Forces. They take great pride in their training and call ordinary Army infantrymen "Doggies". They consider the Army good enough to fill their lines after they have taken the ground and stabilized the situation. Marksmanship is important to the Marines, every Marine is a rifleman, even the cooks and the clerks. Delta, SEALS, etc may have a higher level of specialized training but generally they don't talk about their exploits.
Thank You XLdada, it's like shooting with the most expensive camera will not make you a good photographer, it's probably the same thing. Thank you as always for taking the time out for such detailed replies.

I in no way meant to demean the Marines, I've read the marine acronym for ARMY is " Ain't Ready for Marines Yet " :) I hold all men in uniform who serve their country in very high regard. There can be nothing more nobler than serving your country which ever it may be :)

P.S: Pa'aji how many years of practice is behind this kind of shooting ?

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Dear Baljit,

That is some amazing shooting! My compliments!!

Regards,
Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Amazing stuff, Baljit. Many of us struggle to keep shots on target at 100+ and you are plugging it at 1000 yards.Great to watch and something to aspire to. Beautiful place too.

Well done to Ben too.

Keep rocking. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Baljit,
Amazing man.... Brilliant shooting :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

TC

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Lovely report and photographs Baljit.

You are in the wrong trade.
:D :D

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Baljit:

That is some shooting! I'm in awe of your talent at both rifle preparation and handling. I echo XL; it would be impossible for me to do such a thing. I confess, I've never been to BC. It looks beautiful, and you have chosen a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. To me, that is a big part of shooting -- it is a whole experience of preparation, discipline, achievement, being a part of the surroundings (nature) and many more -- may I say, in some respects is has the form of meditation. As XL notes so well, anyone can do it, but it is a great challenge to do well and master even one part of the sport.

Very impressive, Baljit, and the whole experience looks like so much fun!

Moin: Remember, each service has its job to do. The Navy and the Air Force are specialized technicians. The Marines actually started as a sort of security force aboard large sailing warships -- as much to keep the crew in line as to form a shore force. Later, up to WW2, they often manned a secondary 5" gun turret on battleships -- sort of a tradition. They evolved into a group that took on jobs that weren't within the direct scope of others -- embassy guards, forces in small countries, etc. They specialized in being shock and assault troops. They also specialized in amphibious landings during WW2. In short, the Marines usually end up getting the jobs that don't fit anyone else's resume.

The Army is a different sort of organization. They do (did) amphibious landings (my Dad's group in WW2 did the most) and fight ground battles. But the Army is also trained for Leadership. Army personnel often govern captured territory and populations, besides their battlefield duties. When there's a statesman or politician, more often than not, that person is Army.

Similarly, Marine snipers and recon units, Special Forces, SEALs, Delta Force, etc -- they all have different missions and jobs. It is not like they are different cricket or baseball teams competing to see who's best. Just like you have good firemen and good policemen, but they have different jobs, these people and groups do, as well.

Baljit: your friend is very fortunate to have you as a teacher! I envy him for the experience of a lesson or two, and also for the privilege of being able to handle your "toy"!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:46 pm

You are a true gun lover. May your tribe increase.

How thick is the steel plate you use for a target?

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:39 am

Haji, XL,Moin,pistolero,Vikram,TC,Prashant,Timmy and bennedose. Thank you very much guy's for your feedback and i think i have to do batter then this next time.

I hit the plate at 1000 yards twice already and now I am very seriously thinking about 338 LM so i can push my self to 1500+ yards.

Moin..... I start shooting in my childhood age around 11 or 12 and now my 41 birthday coming up on 25 July so think about it.

bennedose..... It's 1" thick plate.

Baljit

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:01 am

Impressive... amazing shooting!! :cheers:
Looking forward to 1500 yards result...

-Nishith

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:35 am

Baljit did you have to put any warning signs on the road behind your target at 1000 yards? I see a red streamer. Those metal plates and frame must be pretty heavy to lug around. 100 lbs did you say?

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Thank you Timmy and Pa'aji. Looking forward to your post on 1500 and possibly breaking the 2000 yard barrier :)

Regards
Moin.