Any 50M 3P rifle / 10M air rifle competitors here?

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
adrianS
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Any 50M 3P rifle / 10M air rifle competitors here?

Post by adrianS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 am

I'm just curious. I'm a "budding" 50M 3P rifle shooter in the USA, but I'm very curious how alive the scene is in India. After seeing that there are a few academies, one I can think of that have world class facilities and staff, leads me to believe the sport is really growing in India. If youre a rifle shooter looking to go for gold in state, national and even International/ISSF, give a shout and share..

Adrian

For Advertising mail webmaster
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Any 50M 3P rifle / 10M air rifle competitors here?

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:04 am

I do 10mtr Air rifle in the local National Rules (40 shot) category and will eventually move up to ISSF (60 shot).

Just finished the state level Maharashtra Air Weapon Competition with a score of 348.

I am keen on doing 50mtr prone small bore but red tape getting in the way.

Do tell more about your shooting.

M.
adrianS wrote:I'm just curious. I'm a "budding" 50M 3P rifle shooter in the USA, but I'm very curious how alive the scene is in India. After seeing that there are a few academies, one I can think of that have world class facilities and staff, leads me to believe the sport is really growing in India. If youre a rifle shooter looking to go for gold in state, national and even International/ISSF, give a shout and share..

Adrian
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

adrianS
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by adrianS » Tue May 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi M,

I'm glad to hear about your shooting. And I'm happy to see that youre an adult competitor into the sport as well, I am not a young person (a Jr, as theyre called) either, but I like to keep into serious practice.

I am about the same level as you in 10M air rifle, and hopefully I will not plateau too soon in my continued training. My 3P smallbore rifle is a Walther KK300, and my air rifle is an FWB601 (pump)

With current NRA rules, I typically shoot 597-600 in prone and about 580-590 on ISSF target. (the NRA targets are much easier than ISSF)

For America, its a little bit strange since that even tho we are a country big in firearms, were very far behind in international style shooting except for the few elite shooters on the national team and the US Army Marksmanship Unit. For the rest of us, were very few and far in between and we typically have to learn on our own and travel far to only a few matches a year. Hopefully I can train to a level good enough to shoot more national matches here.

What is it like in Mumbai? How often are your matches, and how often do you train? Are there many shooters who are into it that are adults? And how popular is it for young people?

major
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by major » Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi Adrian,

I am not a rifle shooter. I am into 10 meter air Pistol. These days, courtesy some medals at the Olympics by Indian shooters, the sport is now being taken very seriously and a large number of school kids are actively participating in shooting competitions. It is quite popular among the adults too. Here at the range where I practice, it is not at all surprising to see a 65 year old competing with ab 11 year old! Here the shooting season starts in September with the State championship and subsequently ending up with National Championship in December. Those who qualify Nationals play selection trials and some other championships spread throughout the year.

Regards,
major

adrianS
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by adrianS » Wed May 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Major,

Thanks for sharing what shooting sports is like where you are. It sounds very positive! It sounds like competitors are generally an encouraging group of people, for there to be a such a diverse group of people all inspired by country medalists.. Matt Emmons of the US is an inspiring individual, but Abhinav Bindra is very inspiring, even to shooters around the world, because of the story he shares. I can see how influential sportsmen like him and Narang, Kumar, etc.. can really get people interested in shooting.

Out of curiosity- anyone can answer this- are clubs generally willing to accept guest foreigners to come and shoot a few sessions of air rifle? Do clubs have loaners? Reason I ask is because I will visit the Powai area sometime this fall to visit a friend for a little bit, and seeing how shooting is a serious sport there, the idea of shooting a little to have fun and see what its like over there really interests me.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Adrian,

Should not be a problem using an air rifle from one of the clubs at their range.

M.
adrianS wrote: Out of curiosity- anyone can answer this- are clubs generally willing to accept guest foreigners to come and shoot a few sessions of air rifle? Do clubs have loaners? Reason I ask is because I will visit the Powai area sometime this fall to visit a friend for a little bit, and seeing how shooting is a serious sport there, the idea of shooting a little to have fun and see what its like over there really interests me.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

sagar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sagar » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:05 am

Hello adrianS
Congrats for the Score you are shooting in prone. 597/600 is too good.

Thanks

adrianS
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by adrianS » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks Sagar, but I'm not that great. I wish to be, however. 597-600 is using NRA targets, which is slightly different than ISSF targets. The NRA 10-ring is larger than the ISSF 10-ring. I call the NRA targets "feelgood targets". Because it makes you feel good. hahahaha... Seriously though, I will be practicing strictly ISSF discipline from now on..